PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Matt Moore

MainePatsFan26

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reaction score
Is it me, or did Matt Moore always seem like a legitimate starting quarterback? He posted a 15-15 record with the Panthers and Dolphins with solid stats. Put a good supporting cast around him, as with today, and Moore can be an average to slightly above average quarterback in this league.

My point isn't that Moore is an elite or above average starter. Rather, I'm confused about why teams like the Bears let a guy like Moore coach high school football when you've got dreck. You could win a Super Bowl with an elite defense and a guy like Moore playing solid at quarterback. Rather teams with good to great defenses chase the dragon with pretenders like Mitch Trubisky.

I'm glad most of the NFL is hellbent on trying to turn Flint water into wine, but c'mon.

Matt Moore is a borderline starting QB. There's definitely worse backups out there.

I've always thought MM was a decent backup. Throws a nice ball. Always seemed competent. Did ok today. Made some plays.

Last edited:
Moore is kind of like Hoyer, good enough to win games he probably should be expected to win, to the point where you can convince yourself he'd be a good starter, a conviction that will inevitably prove to be misplaced.

Always thought he was better than tannyhill in MIA. But what do I know

Ummm .... Andy Reid is a borderline offensive genius...he took garbage like McNabb to the super bowl and iirc and 4 straight conf title game ..took average qb Alex Smith consistently to the playoffs...hence, Matt Moore looks good in Reeds fantastic offensive scheme

Moore is kind of like Hoyer, good enough to win games he probably should be expected to win, to the point where you can convince yourself he'd be a good starter, a conviction that will inevitably prove to be misplaced.

Came here to say that. Moore is more or less in the same tier of "not quite good enough to start but better than most backups" QBs as Hoyer. .

Matt more is a very good backup

Ummm .... Andy Reid is a borderline offensive genius...he took garbage like McNabb to the super bowl and iirc and 4 straight conf title game ..took average qb Alex Smith consistently to the playoffs...hence, Matt Moore looks good in Reeds fantastic offensive scheme

You’re nuts, McNabb was a very good quarterback for most of his career.

he looks better without the eye blacks

I think he's much better than Hoyer.

I think he's much better than Hoyer.

Moore has thrown an interception on 3.5% of his passes to 2.1% for Hoyer and Moore has a higher sack percentage, though Moore has thrown a higher percentage of touchdowns. Their yards per attempt are identical. Both have a career losing record, though both have a winning record with the franchises with whom they had their best seasons (Houston for Hoyer, Carolina for Moore). Hoyer's adjusted net yards per attempt is half a yard higher than Moore's but both are below 6 yards per attempt, basically the line of being a passable starter. (For reference, Brady's is 7.12, while Jameis Winston's is 6.2.)

Their careers have basically been identical, I'm not really sure how you can state one is better than the other. Moore, Hoyer, Cassel, Schaub, Fitzpatrick, McCown... all basically the same guy. Good enough to last forever, good enough to get a chance to start, bad enough to never stick as a starter. Close your eyes and pick your poison. Tannehill, Bridgewater, Foles, Bortles, and Tyrod Taylor are the Next Generation of these guys.

Only Chase Daniel stands apart because he's been the forever backup but has managed to (purposefully I think) dodge just about any opportunity to start. Brilliant man.

He’s a good qb but with the weapons the chiefs have it makes the job easier.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back