PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Matt Light Was Almost A JETE

Boomer B

In the Starting Line-Up
2023 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
Interesting story from Scott Pioli on NFL Network this morning. They were discussing how teams need to keep their cards close to their vest and he gave some great insight into the draft.

in 2001 they wanted Matt Light and wanted to take him at pick 50. At about pick 45 or so Pioli gave Light a call to see if he had been talking to anyone. Light said “ya, I’m on the phone with the Jets right now, they are gonna pick me at 49.” So Pioli tells Light to stay on the phone with the Jets, but DO NOT TELL THEM THE PATRIOTS CALLED”. He gets off the line and tells Bill we gotta jump the Jets. They make the trade to jump to 48 and pick Light who becomes a red jacket Patriot. Pioli says if the Jets had the same protocols the Pats had and would tell the player do not tell another team they had spoke to him the Jets would have picked Light.

Just another reason the JETE have sucked for decades.

Interesting story from Scott Pioli on NFL Network this morning. They were discussing how teams need to keep their cards close to their vest and he gave some great insight into the draft.

in 2001 they wanted Matt Light and wanted to take him at pick 50. At about pick 45 or so Pioli gave Light a call to see if he had been talking to anyone. Light said “ya, I’m on the phone with the Jets right now, they are gonna pick me at 49.” So Pioli tells Light to stay on the phone with the Jets, but DO NOT TELL THEM THE PATRIOTS CALLED”. He gets off the line and tells Bill we gotta jump the Jets. They make the trade to jump to 48 and pick Light who becomes a red jacket Patriot. Pioli says if the Jets had the same protocols the Pats had and would tell the player do not tell another team they had spoke to him the Jets would have picked Light.

Great, tampering investigation started, so now RFG will take another first round pick from the Pats :whistle: :haha:

Lmfao

I’m sure it’s happened plenty of times. Saints dodged a bullet when Ruben Foster accidentally hung up on them to take a call from the 49ers. 9ers leapfrogged the Saints at 32 and took him at 31.

Last edited:
The NFL network once played a clip of a Steelers CB that told them he pretended the Eagles were about to draft him so that Pitt took him earlier than they’d planned.

After searching for almost 21 years have finally found hard core evidence of BB cheating, of course Parcells son in law did it for him, but without regard he was part of the crew that pulled this off :):)

Guess that this sort of thing happens all the time in the NFL...

And every night Light gives thanks in prayer.

Re-hire Scott Pioli. Find appropriate positions for him and Wolf.

Knew of the story and praise the light!

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back