PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Marqise Lee Opts Out

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are we saying that Hightower will cost the team $20M in 2021?
No, his contract has tolled. Everything is moved ahead a year. Next year he will cost what he should have cost this year.

No, his contract has tolled. Everything is moved ahead a year. Next year he will cost what he should have cost this year.

So, to be clear, Hightower is receiving nothing for this year? I understand that he is receiving some of his 2021 salary.

So, to be clear, Hightower is receiving nothing for this year? I understand that he is receiving some of his 2021 salary.
My understanding is he gets either 150,000 or 350,000 depending on the exact reason for his opt-out. I guess high risk vs non-high risk. He doesn't get any of the money the Pats owe him this year.

Belichick has to be encouraging this.

I think by asking his players to let him know asap, it forced them to decide either way.

My understanding is he gets either 150,000 or 350,000 depending on the exact reason for his opt-out. I guess high risk vs non-high risk. He doesn't get any of the money the Pats owe him this year.

And the $150k will be subtracted from his 2021 salary.

If you think that's bad you should check out one of the dozen or so political threads.

I hear you. Live look at the multiple infectious disease "experts" on this site who wrote that the NFL players have nothing to worry about because they are young and healthy, after reading that ERod has been shut down for the season:

upload_2020-8-2_7-53-45.gif
upload_2020-8-2_7-54-9.gifupload_2020-8-2_7-54-32.gif

I banish all of you back to your Holiday Inn Express rooms!

Attachments

• upload_2020-8-2_7-55-16.gif
    upload_2020-8-2_7-55-16.gif
    1 MB · Views: 4
Who Cares?!

This one is interesting. I did not expect him to make the roster anyway. That said, the team will now still very cheaply retain his rights next year when he will (presumably) be very much recovered from the injury that depressed his value in the first place.

Speaking from a personal level, wish him and his family the best this year and I hope everyone stays safe.

Tangentially related - something I’ve been very curious about which Miguel confirms, whether signing bonus proration still counts this year or if the FULL cap hits this year for opted out players are moved into next year including the proration. If the full hits are moved into next year, Pats will have about $35m in cap space this season...

Now, that said, I don’t think they’ll go out and make a big signing in FA with that money. But let’s just say Cam looks really good over the next few weeks and Bill loves the fit... Could Bill theoretically extend Cam right now to a long-term deal now that he has money available and not have to risk free agency next year? If Cam is interested, of course. Just thinking out loud.

If Cam is truly healthy and the Pats are able to extend him because of opt outs, pandemics, and apparently no other team wanting to take a risk on signing a banged up former MVP QB then I think that proves that God is a Patriot's fan because that's just an unbelievable string of events.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes