PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

March 26-29 - Annual NFL Meetings

Status
Not open for further replies.
Belichick sitting in top spot again

With all the NFL’s top power brokers gathered at the Biltmore Hotel in Phoenix for the league’s spring meetings, the Patriots will once again be at the top of the football world, and not simply because they won another Super Bowl.

They’ll be in the catbird seat because at least one quarterback-starved team will be bowing at their feet, offering up its first born and every first- and second-round pick it can muster up to try and move Bill Belichick off the stance he won’t be trading Jimmy Garoppolo. And that’s just for starters.

Then there’s Malcolm Butler. How will the endgame with the restricted free agent cornerback play out? Are the Saints, or some other team in the sweepstakes, going to be willing to hand over a first-round pick — or some other trade alternative — if Butler ever signs his tender, just to make it work with the Patriots?

Whatever the angle, Belichick holds most of the leverage. Every possible move is influenced by him.

You can also add Darrelle Revis into the mix. His status will certainly be a talker at the meetings. Will the veteran free agent figure out he needs the Patriots more than they need him?

As is usually the case, the Patriots pretty much control all the cards as far as what they want to do. At the meetings, even heading into the NFL draft, people have to come to them. Belichick’s kind of like the Godfather, sitting back, scratching his chin, letting it play out.

He’s already reloaded and restocked for another run in 2017, having signed free agent corner Stephon Gilmore; traded for wide receiver Brandin Cooks and tight end Dwayne Allen; re-signed linebacker Dont’a Hightower, defensive lineman Alan Branch and safety Duron Harmon; and added pass rusher Kony Ealy. Belichick’s team is already a prohibitive favorite to repeat and grab championship No. 6. He doesn’t have to pick up the phone or outfox another general manager unless he feels like it.

The only thing the Patriots are lacking is a coveted first-round pick, or even a second-round pick. At the moment, their first selection will be No. 72, the latest the Patriots have waited to make a selection in the draft during Belichick’s tenure.

Will they do something to move up? That remains to be seen. But if they do, it’s not outlandish to assume the talks start the next few days in Phoenix.

I think it's pretty much a certainty that the owners will approve the Raiders moVe from Oakland to Vegas. My question is whether in a few years time, will there b similar approval for a Vegas Super Bowl?

How apropos would it be for Taco Charleton to be playing for the Patriots in that Mexico game?

:eek:

I think it's pretty much a certainty that the owners will approve the Raiders moVe from Oakland to Vegas. My question is whether in a few years time, will there b similar approval for a Vegas Super Bowl?

Not to box you in, is there gambling on the Super Bowl now?

Raiders move to Vegas approved, only Miami dissented:

NFL owners are still butt-hurt over all things Patriots:

(unless that "NFL owner" was Bob Kraft....)

Mark Davis is an odd looking dude.

Raiders move to Vegas approved, only Miami dissented:

NFL owners are still butt-hurt over all things Patriots:

(unless that "NFL owner" was Bob Kraft....)

I had a few thoughts on this....For one, the owners are very petty (which I think is what Robert Kraft found out when complaining about deflategate punishment). The owners were happy to stick to the Patriots, even if it were false.

That got me to thinking about if there were a chance Roger Goodell would be replaced. One one hand, the owners' pettiness say they might keep them because he got the Patriots. But, pettiness works both ways. Are there owners who feel Roger plays favorite?. For instance, the Giants escaping punishment that other teams would face must greater consequences. It cuts both ways.

LMAO, no wonder he skipped it....these guys are so incompetent they can't even take a picture right. BB once again playing chess while everyone else is looking around like a dumbass.

Wonder who the other coach besides BB was that skipped the losers shoot......

You got Gas??? Take Beano :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back