PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Malcom Butler INT voted #5 Greatest play in NFL 100 Greatest

Status
Not open for further replies.
Should be one

It completely changed the momentum of an inevitable Seattle win IN THE SUPER BOWL into a Patriots win. Top 3 somewhere...maybe #1.

The #1 gave birth to the Steelers' dynasty and was an improbable play. For me, the interception at the goal line is right up there behind it at #2 or #3 since not only was it a phenomenal play by Butler, but also it led to the 2nd Patriots' dynasty. We hadn't won a Super Bowl in ten years and without that stand, I'm not sure we make it to the big game against Atlanta and St. Louis.

Never underestimate marketing. Butler's pick doesn't have a catchy nickname like the top 4.

Props to Ben Watson's tackle on Champ Bailey making the list.

Regards,
Chris

Philly Special at #10...lol

Philly Special at #10...lol
I didn’t think that the Music City Miracle belonged at #4, either. Top 10-15, sure. #4 is too high for my liking.

I guess I just can’t see how a game changing INT on the goal line in the SB can be beat. You have your divisional and conference moments, but this is the last play of the Super Bowl. On the goal line.

What are 1 to 4?
1) Immaculate Reception
2) “The catch” = Dwight Clark in the NFCCG
3) Helmet Catch
4) Music City Miracle lateral

Butler giveth and taketh....

1) Immaculate Reception
2) “The catch” = Dwight Clark in the NFCCG
3) Helmet Catch
4) Music City Miracle lateral

#1 was more of a lucky bounce than a great play.

#2 doesn't belong there either. It was pretty much a basic pass play. What was so great about it?

The Butler Did It was a combination of a great play at a great moment and deserves the #1 spot.

Butler’s int was final. No more games, this is one play that essentially ended the last game of the year. The other teams still had to win a game or games to get to/win the superbowl.

I’m fine with MB being top 5, don’t need a panel to know the implications of where that interception stands. Everybody has got opinions.

Next thing you know, Adam’s snow kick will be #7.

There will never be a play that brings me more joy. Not in any sport.

Yeah, I agree. That game was the largest rollercoaster ride of any Pats game. That one play took me from being in the depths of depression to the peak of elation!

Seahawk fans will be overjoyed reliving the memory.

The Butler play is extra special because it also erased the memory of Kearse’s improbable catch on that drive.

The #1 gave birth to the Steelers' dynasty and was an improbable play..
You could argue it didn't. What many people fail to realize is that the Steelers lost the next week to the undefeated Dolphins. The next year they won their first Super Bowl and then 3 more but while the catch was great.....

Butler's int should be higher than Tyree's catch but it was the Giants a NY team and defeating an 18-0 team so you can see why the NY centric pundits rated it that way..

The Butler play is extra special because it also erased the memory of Kearse’s improbable catch on that drive.
Not only that but it also changed the national conversation about the patriots dynasty. The whole “they haven’t won anything since Spygate” crap. Cemented, in some people’s mind, that Brady/BB were the best ever or put them squarely at 1A/1B with Montana and Lombardi,...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots