PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Malcolm Butler Mega Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe it was to stick it to Brady and Kraft for the Jimmy trade.

Passive aggressive move.

Of course people will laugh this off and ridicule to no end, but only two possibilities exist either this or it was for disciplinary reasons. Since Belichick stated it wasn't the latter well we're left to surmise....

The truth has to be the former and it will eventually come out. Butler probably used his sickness to tweak Bill and Bill is not one to be f'ed with.

Make no mistake - Bill's adherence to principle cost him and Brady another Super Bowl.

I have stopped posting in the gdt due to retribution from the homers, but tonight broke my heart watching TB playing with inferior players trying to win another Lombardi. BTW what an epic performance by the O!! BB punitive BS has to go! I for 1 believe TB is the reason not BB for the 5! Please Bill just go, your act is tired and you got punked by Doug F'ing Peterson... Really defensive genius? Come on. Tb was awesome only if he had a D.

One thing is clear: Tom Brady is more responsible for this dynasty than BB. I am so dissapointed in Bill. Just absolutely crushing to see Butler crying. You know, seeing Butler like this hurts more than losing.

When did he cry? I didn't see it. I'm not watching any of the after math to this but wow.........WTF has butler done to deserve benching in the biggest game?! **** OFF bill. You overthought it, and you took a well deserved L.

Sorry please put if this is more pertinent in another thread.

This defense was pure garbage without Malcolm Butler. It was the same putrid September defense.

Patricia or Belichick blew the entire SuperBowl by not having its best cornerback play the game.

I am so livid. Richards had no business playing ANY snaps in this game.

Wow. We CLEARLY have a bunch of fair weather fans on here. While I don’t agree (don’t know the true reason) with the Butler benching, you guys are going way overboard. FWIW, it’s amazing BB/TB are able to get to SBs with horrific defenses. I’m still proud to call BB my coach.

41 points given up and the tackling in the secondary was the biggest issue. Butler would have gone a long way in helping that and appeared to be healthy. I'm proud to call him my coach too, but he is not beyond reproach. The coaching in this game was horrific.

One thing is clear: Tom Brady is more responsible for this dynasty than BB. I am so dissapointed in Bill. Just absolutely crushing to see Butler crying. You know, seeing Butler like this hurts more than losing.

I don't know why Butler didn't start. It was a coaching decision. It was crushing to see a player crying because he told that he wouldn't start. ????? Is that the kind of team player that you want on the field, on your team? I don't think he'll get much of an offer in the offseason.

Wow. We CLEARLY have a bunch of fair weather fans on here. While I don’t agree (don’t know the true reason) with the Butler benching, you guys are going way overboard. FWIW, it’s amazing BB/TB are able to get to SBs with horrific defenses. I’m still proud to call BB my coach.
I fail to see how any of this is being a "fair weather" fan. People are praising Brady's greatness, propping up Butler as a solid but not elite CB that was well needed when Rowe (and predictably Richards) were struggling, along with directing some very deserving critique towards Belichick and the defense.

Last edited:
I disagree. The run defense was truly awful.

41 points given up and the tackling in the secondary was the biggest issue. Butler would have gone a long way in helping that and appeared to be healthy. I'm proud to call him my coach too, but he is not beyond reproach. The coaching in this game was horrific.

When did he cry? I didn't see it. I'm not watching any of the after math to this but wow.........WTF has butler done to deserve benching in the biggest game?! **** OFF bill. You overthought it, and you took a well deserved L.

He was crying at the beginning of the game. Guessing after he was informed that he was being benched on D for the game.

Malcolm Butler was this team's best cornerback.

Won us 2 rings. Made a pro bowl.

Team defense was amazing when he was #1 corner and Gilmore was out hurt.

This single handedly LOST the Super Bowl for us

Last edited:
Why on earth would Belichick purposefully put his team at a disadvantage during the Super Bowl? Whatever his reasons were, I’m sure they were with winning in mind.

The pass rush was the reason for this defensive meltdown, not the secondary. The Eagles have a great offensive line and the Patriots have a subpar group of pass rushers, and they are particularly weak at linebacker. Simply put, this was a matchup the Eagles absolutely dominated. On the other side of the ball, the Patriots offensive line played a great game as well, but the Eagles at least got pressure at some key moments.

I'm pretty sure BB will take all the blame too. You take the good with the bad and he's still the greatest coach in the history of the game. I for one am glad he'll be our coach next year too.

Whatever Butler did to take himself out of the game, it's inexcusable.

AND IT'S ALL ON BUTLER.

I trust BB to decide to play the guys who are best prepared to play. Malcolm did something to take himself out of it.

I disagree. The run defense was truly awful.

Oh, the whole defense was truly awful. From top to bottom, I cannot find one positive point. But tackling was the biggest issue. There were a ton of missed tackles tonight.

Oh, the whole defense was truly awful. From top to bottom, I cannot find one positive point. But tackling was the biggest issue. There were a ton of missed tackles tonight.
Agree on the missed tackles. Contributed to 3rd down conversions. Frustrating to watch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes