PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Malcolm Butler Mega Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have not read through such a ridiculously long thread but if the flu thing and his clearing out his locker before flying in late is true, that sort of confirms the rumor that he simply did not shake the whole contract thingy in the offseason, where he rejected a very generous 8 mil per yesr offer. It is similar to welker, really. Bb does not mess around with primadonnas or selfishness. Lots of talk early in the year of butler finger pointing and bad body language being tied to early season struggles. I sort of felt like the bademosi move was done for insurance on the inevitible butler departure.
he played 100% of the D snaps in the playoffs. 97% of the season D snaps.. No way he just decided he was too much of a "primadonna" all the sudden. It is illogical since he played him all season almost all of the D snaps..

I have not read through such a ridiculously long thread but if the flu thing and his clearing out his locker before flying in late is true, that sort of confirms the rumor that he simply did not shake the whole contract thingy in the offseason, where he rejected a very generous 8 mil per yesr offer. It is similar to welker, really. Bb does not mess around with primadonnas or selfishness. Lots of talk early in the year of butler finger pointing and bad body language being tied to early season struggles. I sort of felt like the bademosi move was done for insurance on the inevitible butler departure.

but that's completely different from 'we played the players that put is in the best position to win' ..... which is a real turd when you put up the benching to the manner in which the pats were hurt by it.......as of right now, I think BB's statement is the biggest lie

so based on that, it would have made sense for him to be inactive if he was deemed to not have the ability that earns him zero snaps
You would think?

I don't think it was an ability issue. Unless he goofed off so badly in practice he would have been unable to carry out the game plan.

I dunno know...

I'm becoming more enraged about this as time goes on. Belichick threw away a Super Bowl.

What could DMac or any of the other captains gain by making their version of the entire situation up (i.e. they were informed before) ? The whole thing remains a mystery..

As I said before, the other possibility is Rowe being left in the dark. And that would imply some players were acquainted with the game plan, while others... not so much. Does not bode well for the organization either.

Wait.....Butler cleared out his locker before flying to MN?

Source?

I agree.

I'm just trying to sort through this and come up with something rational that I can live with. :p

Tough to compare the situations. Tyree was a WR5. Malcolm played 98% of the snaps.

The difference is coughlin trusted tyree despite a poor practice, while belichick didn’t it (if butler was indeed benched for a poor practice). Some guys don’t practice well but show up when it matters. Malcolm has been money in big games.

As I said before, the other possibility is Rowe being left in the dark. And that would imply some players were acquainted with the game plan, while others... not so much. Does not bode well for the organization either.

I think it is pretty simple what happened and Mayo has talked about it a few times on QuickSlants.

The captains were informed during a captains meeting with BB that Butler would not start / be benched for whatever occurred. How they distributed that information and why it reached certain players but not others remains unclear.

Source?

If so, Belichick lied when he said it was not disciplinary. That is something butler shouldn’t do, but it could have been addressed after the game.

You would think?

I don't think it was an ability issue. Unless he goofed off so badly in practice he would have been unable to carry out the game plan.

I dunno know...

the goose egg health scratch but still in uniform along with the team struggles with what he COULD have helped with makes no sense without an explanation.........BB was simply not forthright....he doesn't owe us that, but all the **** he pulls is great as long as the team is winning in a big way........this team comes back to earth, and buy in will be much harder to come by

Source?

If that really happened it would have been out on twitter already. No way something like that would have been contained after he was benched for the SB.

Why would BB care an ounce what Ty Law demands on TwitFace ?
Ty needs to feed his family, give us the explanation, Bill!

The facts are these:

Butler played 97.8% of snaps in the regular season. He played 100% snaps in the two playoff games.

He played the most snaps by any defensive player last year.

He played zero snaps last night and it’s because he didn’t fit the game plan or Fatricia had “different” packages that didn’t include him...for the entire game.

If you actually believe that explanation, then either you’re an absolute imbecile or you take the coaches to be absolute imbeciles.

They benched him for something that had absolutely nothing to do with his ability to play cornerback. Again, a former ProBowl/All Pro corner didn’t play a single snap for what was one of the worst defensive performances in league history. We always make adjustments.

The only question that remains is what Butler could have done that the coaches would rather have blown the chance to win rather than play him.

Source?

This is what i saw on pft.com...not sure if it is true but the person did sort of sound like they had good info on it. He did fly out separately....just saying. Maybe found out about it before the game or something..not saying these sre facts, but if true, it would make sense to tilt decision. COuld be a combo of things.

In general, not the coaches best work, that is for sure. Bb/patricia could have been better.

Hate to say it, but bb did the exact opposite of what i was suggesting defensively.

Chung is great but what on earth was he doing on agoholor in man? What was rowe doing on smith schuster up near the line vs pitt? I mean, here is a guy getting a head coaching job and i knew what to do more than he did.

He's not wrong. I'm sure several of the active players last night feel the same way - not just Hightower, Collins and Dennard. He cost them a Super Bowl in utmost embarrassing fashion.

If so, Belichick lied when he said it was not disciplinary. That is something butler shouldn’t do, but it could have been addressed after the game.

the guy plays 100% of the snaps in the playoffs is dressed but never placed on the field even though he appeared to be the best option to cover agholor......if he dressed, it would be rational to give him a chance at least for a series or drive .... based on the way the defense play, what could have possibly been the reason for that?

I'm tellin ya......something stinks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents