PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Malcolm Butler Mega Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Completely ruined the defense. Chung had to play slot when he's an in the box safety, McCourty had to cover Ertz instead of play FS, Rowe had to play outside instead of slot, no Chung in the box meant the defense sucked against the run... entire defense was messed up without Malcolm Butler

He played on special teams, and he’s depth. I like Butler and they got a couple of really good seasons out of him but his play slipped considerably this season. And while I have no idea why he was benched it may have been his performance against mobile quarterbacks this season combined with the RPO offense they were facing.

he played one play....they should have inactivated him and activated Branch instead or any one of the offensive players who would have been on the field more than one play

BB says that he wasn't part of the defensive scheme. People may not like that answer but it's the only one we have (that is until Butler leaves the team and then maybe tells the media what happened). So, instead of speculating without having all the facts, we have to go with the unpalatable answer of "it was a scheme thing" and rip the Pats for obviously not using the correct defensive scheme to stop the Eagles.
Like I said, not a single good explanation for this move. Scheme thing makes no sense to begin with and early into the game the "scheme" was not working at all. I guess if the scheme was to let the Eagles put up 40 points it worked.

BB says that he wasn't part of the defensive scheme. People may not like that answer but it's the only one we have (that is until Butler leaves the team and then maybe tells the media what happened). So, instead of speculating without having all the facts, we have to go with the unpalatable answer of "it was a scheme thing" and rip the Pats for obviously not using the correct defensive scheme to stop the Eagles.

So if we're to take that at face value, then let's all criticize Belichick. That is a terrible coaching decision. It's also extremely dense and stubborn to not adjust once Nick Foles puts up 450 yards of offense in 3 quarters. That's one of the worst strategic coaching decisions I've ever seen watching football. It's almost cause to question Belichick's mental fitness - if you believe what Belichick says. I don't. I think he was being spiteful in punishing Butler for something minor

Do we make anything of the reports that Butler cleaned out his locker before the trip? Would that be a case of Belichick saying "If you're not part of the team anymore, then have a seat?" Doesn't make any sense to me that he doesn't give his team their best chance to win. Now they end up in this situation:

I think the whole "teaching him a lesson" argument is not valid. He's not gonna be here next season, fine, but he's here now. I can't wrap my head around ANY reason that he's not in this game.

If it’s not discipline, the only other reason i can think of is that whatever illness butler had it affected his ability to practice this week and he didn’t look good to coaching staff leading up to the game.

Flat out wrong. Fact is they had the league's best defense for a month while Gilmore was out and Butler was the #1 corner. Defense only gave up 14ppg after Sept with Butler playing 98% of snaps. So he was a starter contributing to a great defense

Disagree all you want but it was pretty much consensus among Patriot fans, and even among Butlers biggest supporters, that he had an off season.

If it’s not discipline, the only other reason i can think of is that whatever illness butler had it affected his ability to practice this week and he didn’t look good to coaching staff leading up to the game.

again, if your starting corner is not well enough to play a single play, he would be inactive

There is zero evidence it was “discipline.” Less than zero that it was “petty”

How many reasons could possibly exist to bench a healthy Butler in the superbowl? its either that or they suddenly discover that Eric Row was the better corner in practice leading to the game. Of course the eagles were thrilled knowing full well that Rowe was garbage since he used to be on their team in Philly.

No. Keeping Chung as your elite box SS to support run would then make sense, not pull Chung to cover slot which isn't his strength. The whole defense got F'd up by not having Butler, 3 players then playing out of ideal position

Against 3 receivers, wouldn’t Chung usually be off the field in Nickel? Here he was in. That makes them stouter, doesn’t it?

In Dime, they went 4 safeties/2 CBs , instead of 3/3. That makes them stouter, doesn’t it?

I’m really asking seriously. This is the only thing that makes sense to me, if it’s accurate

again, if your starting corner is not well enough to play a single play, he would be inactive

Then it has to be a matchup issue and moron ness to not insert him in the second half.

Last edited:
One things for sure that this game should tell BillB... For the upcoming 2018 season Patriots must UPGRADE their DL for faster, bigger players.

Foles had plenty of time to throw.

Eagles deserve to win. They were aggressive and they executed.

It definitely bugs me that Belichick won’t answer these kinds of questions but there’s still no other coach/GM I would rather have.
I agree. The stonewalling is annoying but because it's BB it's accepted. I hate the media so I'm ok with how he treats them.

media should be asking why he was benched until they are blue in the face...coaches decision is just not good enough

Belichick in typical fashion doesn't owe anyone outside the team the details, but I agree with you that "coach's decision" doesn't satisfy the questions the media and fans have.

I for one still have the following questions............

"Ok, Bill, I understand this was a coach's decision and you do what's best for the team, but what is it about benching Butler that puts the team in a better position to win? Is it a bad matchup for a particular receiver/scheme/what? When the game played out the way it did in which the defense was getting gashed left and right, was their any thought to throwing him in there? Was the defense really better off with Bedemosi out there instead of Butler?"

When you make a controversial decision and it works out you get hailed as a genious. When you make a controversial decision and it not only fails but is an extreme failure, not only do you look like bad but I think it's perfectly acceptable for fans and media to want an explanation beyond the 'coach's decision'. He should be accountable for the move.

Then it has to be a matchup issue and moronness to not insert him in the second half.

Right, with the game going the way it did with Philly walking up and down the field, how do they not throw him out there to change it up (ala SB 49)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe