PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Malcolm Butler Mega Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you're going to troll, have something that's not ridiculous as a take.

They scored 3 points in the first because the Eagles opening drive took up half the quarter, the Patriots then scored a field goal and the Patriots next drive in that quarter rolled over into the second quarter (where Gost a/k/a NOT THE OFFENSE missed the FG) just for one example of the "How do you...".

They scored 9 points in the second quarter because the ST blew and extra point and a gimme field goal.

They scored only 7 points in the 4th because the Eagles had a 7 minute drive after the Patriots scored a TD with 9:22 left, and then had the strip sack when they finally got the ball back.

In other words, the scoring was limited in the first and last quarters largely because the defense couldn't get the Eagles off the field, and the scoring was limited in the second quarter because the special teams cost the team 4 points.
Yeah...if ST executes two very simple scoring plays we have 16 points going into the half. That is definitely not bad. If the defense doesn't blow chunks we would have had 19, maybe 23 points at the half.

Why the hell are some people desperate to hoist blame on the offense? The jet sweep didn't work and Amendola's throw was a hair off. That's all I remember that went wrong besides the strip at the end.

Meanwhile the defense gave up play after play all damn game. This was on the defense. They were so god awful that if Brady had played only decently it would have been a humiliating blowout.

If you're going to troll, have something that's not ridiculous as a take.

They scored 3 points in the first because the Eagles opening drive took up half the quarter, the Patriots then scored a field goal and the Patriots next drive in that quarter rolled over into the second quarter (where Gost a/k/a NOT THE OFFENSE missed the FG) just for one example of the "How do you...".

They scored 9 points in the second quarter because the ST blew an extra point and a gimme field goal.

They scored only 7 points in the 4th because the Eagles had a 7 minute drive after the Patriots scored a TD with 9:22 left, and then had the strip sack when they finally got the ball back.

In other words, the scoring was limited in the first and last quarters largely because the defense couldn't get the Eagles off the field, and the scoring was limited in the second quarter because the special teams cost the team 4 points.
They scored 3 points in the 1st quarter because they drove the ball down the field in 5 seconds and then sputtered and were forced to kick a FG. They blew a FG on a bad snap after the offense once again drove down the field in 5 seconds and SPUTTERED ONCE AGAIN and were forced into a FG attempt. You catching on with the Patriots offense all too often 1st half woes yet?? Or is it too painful for you to acknowledge Deuce? They had 300 yards of offense in the 1st half and scored 12 freakin' points. Troll THAT baby!!! Stop being so sensitive. It's embarrassing! You sound like a pinkhat.

Throwing for 500 yards in itself is not a very good sign

I remember flutie throwing for 500 and losing to penn state by 30

Throwing for 500 is out of whack and means you’re fighting something else in your scheme and it so frequently ends the way this one did

They should have run the ball more early, but the pats and Brady are who they are.....they will never ride the run to victory .... too much ego for that

I can't dignify this with a response. Patriots do what is best at the time.

Offense had its miscues but they were without Cooks 80% of the game. And they had to play fast to nullify Eagles` pass rush. The other team was sticking to its defensive scheme and personnel so we could not just run through the middle for 75 yards on 50 plays.

"If I were still on the team, I'd be angry [that butler didn't play]."

Nink thinks Belichick was wrong.

Mayo said something similar.

The tweet that Hightower liked said there was diseension in the locker room prior to the Super BOwl. Hightower is a captain of the team!

I get the feeling that if Belichick copped to the error (and I would be fine with him if he did) you'd still be out here saying it wasn't an error.
Do you really think BB cares what the players think of him or his decisions?

How long have you been following this team?

Its still a mistake.

Undoubtedly that was a mistake by Brady, and bad situational football too. 2nd and 2, 2 and a half minutes to go.

But he was riding that line the whole game. Letting it fly really really late. That's what brought them back from 2 score deficits. But, it wasn't a 2 core deficit then. He could've throttled it down, and he didn't.

I'm sure he agrees with both of us this morning.

It just goes to show what a fine line these QBs ride each and every game. One mistake and kaboom, you've just lost the Super Bowl.

Do you really think BB cares what the players think of him or his decisions?

How long have you been following this team?

You're projecting now.

Who said anything about what Bill cares about?

We're talking about the team and the players.

That’s BS. The fumble is a split second action on the field. That’s a little bit different then Belichick watching over the course of 3 hours his defence get raped while his CB who played 98% of the snaps during the year sits on the bench.
LMAO @ RW's post you quoted. He is saying that Belichick deserves a pass if Brady gets one?

On the one hand you have the GOAT marching up and down the field all game, keeping us alive every time the Eagles were on the verge of pulling away. The protection failed and Brady finally turned the ball over on a strip sack after all his heroics.

On the other Bill decides to bench his activated #2 CB all of the way throughout that abomination without giving him a shot, the guy who made the most clutch play in Boston sports history and has been an experienced starter and playmaker.

These two instances are simply not equal.

Undoubtedly that was a mistake by Brady, and bad situational football too. 2nd and 2, 2 and a half minutes to go.

But he was riding that line the whole game. Letting it fly really really late. That's what brought them back from 2 score deficits. But, it wasn't a 2 core deficit then. He could've throttled it down, and he didn't.

I'm sure he agrees with both of us this morning.

It just goes to show what a fine line these QBs ride each and every game. One mistake and kaboom, you've just lost the Super Bowl.
Agree 100%

Set aside the Malcolm debacle I bet BB would admit to several tactical errors for the SB. Those are also mistakes.

I bet Dion Lewis screwed up too.

So did DA and he had a monster game.

I may be in the minority but the motto, "You live and die as a team" really means something.

You're projecting now.

Who said anything about what Bill cares about?

We're talking about the team and the players.
Why did you bother quoting players?

You are clearly going somewhere with it.

LMAO @ RW's post you quoted. He is saying that Belichick deserves a pass if Brady gets one?

On the one hand you have the GOAT marching up and down the field all game, keeping us alive every time the Eagles were on the verge of pulling away. The protection failed and Brady finally turned the ball over on a strip sack after all his heroics.

On the other Bill decides to bench his activated #2 CB all of the way throughout that abomination without giving him a shot, the guy who made the most clutch play in Boston sports history and has been an experienced starter and playmaker.

These two instances are simply not equal.

You are being subjective.

I am being objective.

Big difference.

Google Sleepy Floyd/James Worthy and Chris Webber/time out and Earnest Byner/Fumble and you'll understand my point.

Why did you bother quoting players?

You are clearly going somewhere with it.

Because players play.

Bustin' your butt all year to win a Super Bowl where your coach sabotages you.

Do you think that gives them more incentive or less?

Agree 100%

Set aside the Malcolm debacle I bet BB would admit to several tactical errors for the SB. Those are also mistakes.

I bet Dion Lewis screwed up too.

So did DA and he had a monster game.

I may be in the minority but the motto, "You live and die as a team" really means something.

What is the point of all this? Brady had contributed to a mistake, no doubt about that. But difference between him and the HC is that one of them was doing his best to win that game, the other his best to lose that game.

Because players play.

You are saying belichick sabotaged his own team?
You are saying he purposely tried to lose?

Because players play.

Incentive to do what? Perform? Win? Play for BB?

There are most likely ~20 personnel moves BB has made that has royally pissed off the locker room and all of them as it pertains to winning had zero long term emotional impact on the club.

He doesn't care what players think of him or how he runs the team.

He never has. Ever.

What is the point of all this? Brady had contributed to a mistake, no doubt about that. But difference between him and the HC is that one of them was doing his best to win that game, the other his best to lose that game.

Tom didn't just contribute to a mistake. He made a mistake which directly influenced the outcome of the game.

My point is you are subjective in who you attribute blame for the loss.

The last 10 points happened within the last 5 min or so. While I agree with you that they didn’t stop them, the choice to put Gilmore on Jeffrey was certainly helping, as was the fact that they were limiting their possessions.

As you said, the backbreaker was the long drive that saw Philly take the lead late in the game. The question is how much Butler may have helped due to what they were doing.

The offense and Philly's running game was limiting their possessions, not the defense. You don't think Philly WANTED to go on long, clock killing drives all 2nd half? Limiting possessions means j*ck **** if you can't get off the field. Limiting possessions only matters when you have the lead... you know, because if Philly only gets 4 possessions in the half, that also means the Patriots only get 6 at most, and of course the 6th was just a Hail Mary attempt, not time for a real drive... You DON'T want to limit possessions when you are trailing, you want to make stops.

The defense literally did NOTHING in the 2nd half. Nothing. With the half time deficit they HAD to get at least one stop. At least hold them to FGs. They couldn't. There were no 'adjustments that worked'. They scored more points per drive (4.75) then the first half (3.67), more yards per drive (53.75, but really 70.3 if you cut out the last drive after the turnover where they were happy just running the clock and kicking a FG) then the first half (52.2), and worst of all, got absolutely dominated by the running game.

So no, the defense didn't do a damned thing in the 2nd half. Not a damned f*cking thing.

Technically speaking, Tom made a mistake. Shaq made a mistake. That is a fact. Those mistakes directly impacted the outcome of the game.

The difference is BB doesn't think he made a mistake. You do. We also have zero concrete evidence Malcolm's absence impacted the game (but we suspect it did).

The difference here is optics and perception are the reasons why BB is getting killed. Not on actual outcomes influenced by a specific act.

You don't know what BB is thinking at this point. He himself said after the game that it was "all on him."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents