PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Malcolm Butler Mega Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Belichick's track record of benching Welker for feetgate is really playing on our minds.

He is absolutist with his rule-breaking punishments.

Maybe that was a one off, but it certainly works on my mind as I judge this Butler fiasco.

I think the Welker thing was ridiculous then, and I certainly hope this wasn't a parallel.
except he didnt punish revis when he showed up late once

You have an attitude and I really don't know what you problem is with me.

Last post by me of you keep up your 'tude.

I've read this already. Great article

Please show me where **** Rehbein pounded the draft table for Tom Brady.

Please cite how he was in the room and coerced BB into drafting TB12.

What happened and what happens in the NFL FO.

During a pre-draft meeting where they stack-rank prospects and agree on where to focus and prioritize resources, he made a strong recommendation to BB and Grier after he returned from UM.

Fun fact: ALL SCOUTS MAKE STRONG RECOMMENDATIONS ON PLAYERS THEY REALLY LIKE.

Based on that info, BB green lit Grier to dig deeper.

Credit to Rehbein for bubbling up Tom to BB. No one is taking that away.

Saying he pounded the draft table for Tom just didn't happen.

You make an incorrect statement, I correct. SIMPLE.

Is BB or any player on record saying Butler practiced poorly? If not then it's just everyone saying the same thing.
No Rapaport is saying it. So we can decide if its gospel or not.

Zolak's still not buying BB's story

Great.

Another he said she said exercise.

I agree that conclusions still can't be made, but it's now Wednesday and Bill still hasn't expanded on his characteristically tight lipped statement about the move and Butler is said all he's going to say. It was a HUGE decision that at the very least *might* have hindered the Patriots' chance to win the game, so "It was a football decision" doesn't really cut it.

Belichick certainly doesn't have any technical obligation to tell the truth or explain himself, but I think this is one of those times when his typical demeanor when answering that type of question needs to give way and he needs to explain himself a little better.

Perhaps we'll never know... I would be fine with that. I haven't turned on Bill and it would take more than a questionable personnel decision to change that, but he's treating this decision as if it was a choice to go for it on 4th down or something like that, where either side can be argued forever and we can throw out actual percentages and whatnot.

This is a decision that forced everyone else to speculate when he could have put Butler in to start the third quarter or really at any time in the game and he wouldn't have anything to answer for right now.

So, if Bill doesn't expand upon it, fine. But if that's his choice, speculation is all we have. It's not really the type of thing that we can just flat out move on from, though.

For many people, their greatest strength is also their greatest weakness. I think Belichick falls in that category.

I agree that conclusions still can't be made, but it's now Wednesday and Bill still hasn't expanded on his characteristically tight lipped statement about the move and Butler is said all he's going to say. It was a HUGE decision that at the very least *might* have hindered the Patriots' chance to win the game, so "It was a football decision" doesn't really cut it.

Belichick certainly doesn't have any technical obligation to tell the truth or explain himself, but I think this is one of those times when his typical demeanor when answering that type of question needs to give way and he needs to explain himself a little better.

Perhaps we'll never know... I would be fine with that. I haven't turned on Bill and it would take more than a questionable personnel decision to change that, but he's treating this decision as if it was a choice to go for it on 4th down or something like that, where either side can be argued forever and we can throw out actual percentages and whatnot.

This is a decision that forced everyone else to speculate when he could have put Butler in to start the third quarter or really at any time in the game and he wouldn't have anything to answer for right now.

So, if Bill doesn't expand upon it, fine. But if that's his choice, speculation is all we have. It's not really the type of thing that we can just flat out move on from, though.
BB does not need to address it publicly. He does need to address it with the team.

I agree that conclusions still can't be made, but it's now Wednesday and Bill still hasn't expanded on his characteristically tight lipped statement about the move and Butler is said all he's going to say. It was a HUGE decision that at the very least *might* have hindered the Patriots' chance to win the game, so "It was a football decision" doesn't really cut

Good post. Agree.

This is one of those situations where there will never be a silver bullet.

Its like the ending of the Sopranos.

This is the absolute same situation as the Jamie Collins trade but people just don't want to believe it, so Butler MUST have knocked out Steve Belichick while practicing high out of his mind so Bill had to bench him!

Collins was an All Pro who had a mediocre season...he was and still is a vastly superior linebacker in comparison with Elandon Roberts. And yet Belichick shipped him out for basically nothing.

Did Collins regress so much that Bill couldn't use him over freakin Roberts? Did Collins beat up a coach, or got high, or was missing practices? No.

He might have freelanced on a few plays, but how many coaches would trade an All Pro linebacker, a Super Bowl winning talent in the middle of a winning season for peanuts?

My comparison is not to criticize the Collins trade but to draw a parallel between one seemingly big part of the defense getting permanently shut down and another big part of the defense getting permanently shut down.

Belichick decided these guys are no longer a part of his team and that's it. Both moves shocked and divided the locker room, both moves shocked and divided the boards and the Pats community. Go back and re-read the Collins trade thread...it's more or less the same thing as this one. Collins HAD to have done something egregious to be traded, it couldn't have been just his play!

The only difference is that the team had an ample time to adapt and get over it, and Belichick pulled this stunt an hour before the biggest game of the year.

BB does not need to address it publicly.

Agree.

He does need to address it with the team.

If we know anything about BB, when it comes to serious team issues in the locker room he does one of three things.

1) Dismisses it as not-impacting winning with the statement, "Are you going to let this derail the season and waste all the hard work you've put in to being a success and helping the team win?"

2) Have a team pow-pow, clear the air, listen to the players, accept blame, move on.

3) Eradicate the non-compliant, malcontents from the face of the earth and trade them to Cleveland.

Try to get your facts straight the late **** Rheban was the one who pushed for Brady in the sixth round.

And Belichick chose him. Assistants don’t draft they just give their take. Had Brady busted you would have blamed Belichick, not Rehbein.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes