PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mahomes says he is eyeing a 20-0 season

No problem with him saying this. It ain’t happening though, the Pats going 18-0 involved some divine intervention stuff at a couple points. It’s not simply about talent.

He said it in the context of this being the only record he's interested in.

It's team! What's wrong with that?

Everyone's goal is to be 20-0. Nothing shocking said here.

Better than canned BS answers...

No problem with him saying this. It ain’t happening though, the Pats going 18-0 involved some divine intervention stuff at a couple points. It’s not simply about talent.

Going 21-0 would REALLY involve some divine intervention. I want someone to have this as a goal.

Going 21-0 would REALLY involve some divine intervention. I want someone to have this as a goal.

It’s not possible, you would have to be undefeated and play a wild card game. Once the owners get their 18th game it will become possible.

It’s not possible, you would have to be undefeated and play a wild card game. Once the owners get their 18th game it will become possible.
I Don’t wanna be that guy but you could theoretically have 2 teams in the same conference be undefeated which means one plays the wild card round

Two 17-0 teams with the Wild Card team running the table...right?

I Don’t wanna be that guy but you could theoretically have 2 teams in the same conference be undefeated which means one plays the wild card round

Beat me to it...that's why I said it would really REALLY require some divine intervention

All of their tough games are at home, other than Baltimore and maybe Tennessee (Chargers could also give them a game). They don't fare so well in Denver but that's mostly if you take the points with Denver. They'll be favored in every game (Balt?). If they avoid injuries it's possible. But yeah, it's tough to run the table. We know all about it.

That Chiefs defense is going to be really bad. Due to that, I think their ceiling is 14-3 next year.

Last edited:
It'll never happen, but it is certainly possible under the current format. If 2 teams each go 17-0 in the same conference, one of them is going to have to play WC weekend. If that team won out, they'd be 21-0. (EDIT: Whoops... others beat me to the punch here.... well, I'll leave it in anyways....)

As for Mahomes, he is wrong to say 19-0 is the current record. Those undefeated Dolphins were 17-0 after all games were played. Which means, as has been pointed out in this forum before, that the Patriots are actually the team with the record of most consecutive wins to start a season.

That Chiefs defense is going to be really bad. Due to that, I think their ceiling is 14-3 next year.
I agree. I think they could go worse than 14-3 just due to the SB loser hangover and the AFC being so competitive. I see this as a set back year for them. Would not surprise me either to see Hill and/or Kelce end up injured as well given they will want to beat the breaks off of teams to prove the SB was an aberration.

The Chiefs are the class of the AFC, no doubt - but they are a very top-heavy team (Mahomes, Kelce, Hill). An injury to Hill changes the calculus dramatically for them. They don't have depth.

20-0 would require a lot of health luck.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down
Back