PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mac or Zach?

I don’t really see it with Darnold, to be honest. He has never looked like a talented guy being held back. I know he‘s had a couple of decent starts, but I’m skeptical. Yes, the Jets org is a joke and would ruin everyone, but I just don’t think Darnold would have succeeded anywhere. He would have been better, but he was so far below par over three years. Just doesn’t seem to have the vision or release, relies on mobility but isn’t quite big or quite fast enough. Doesn’t have consistent accuracy.

Wilson looks awesome…I don’t know what else to say. A great prospect the Jets will ruin. I came in very skeptical about him, but sometimes you can just tell when a guy has the tools when he takes snaps against NFL defenses. Wilson has all the tools, he doesn’t panic back there. and he seems like a good kid who has the intangibles, but he’ll fail with those bozos.
Fair enough. Wilson is the more exciting prospect - he is like a Mahommes. Basically teams want guys that are mobile with a cannon. Darnold is just a good example of a guy who had some talent (not as big an arm as Wilson) but was in the wrong place.

Football is just so team oriented - way more then say basketball.. A guy can be quite good and play very poorly if he doesn't have the right pieces in place..

With Mac we have to hope that he can improve his arm strength and rely on his mental advantages. It's well known that he is the sharpest QB of the bunch. But his ability to break tackles is minimal (his mobility is actually okay) and his arm strength is just average. The jets are stupid but Wilson wasn't a stupid pick - either was Darnold. Both would have worked but because they are the Jets neither will.

Sorry I disappeared after creating the thread. Insane week+

Congrats on the W guys.

Yes, Zach sucked balls. I was pissed.
Probably not a popular opinion here... but the Jets oline, running game and D was much improved from week 1. Enough to have a chance of winning. But our QB was straight up donkey d##k. Just horrible.

Good luck this week

If Zach figures out how to take what's given to him, I look forward to the next meeting.

But as of now... Mac > Zach. Cheers!

Sorry I disappeared after creating the thread. Insane week+

Congrats on the W guys.

Yes, Zach sucked balls. I was pissed.
Probably not a popular opinion here... but the Jets oline, running game and D was much improved from week 1. Enough to have a chance of winning. But our QB was straight up donkey d##k. Just horrible.

Good luck this week

If Zach figures out how to take what's given to him, I look forward to the next meeting.

But as of now... Mac > Zach. Cheers!
^Interesting. An honest and level headed Jets fan. I haven't seen many in my life.

You're in trouble with Wilson and possibly Saleh. I don't think I've seen more mouth running and ****iness coming from a summer camp than the Jets beatwriters and fans talking about Saleh, Wilson and Elijah Moore. I haven't been impressed with any of them.

I do agree he is doomed. But if I am being honest I think BB would trade Mac Jones for him in an instant. How many elite QBs in the NFL do not have elite arm talent? Guys that have a big arm can whip it in there as soon as a guy gets beat... This is why guys who are athletic, have a big arm and are accurate will always go high in the draft.

If things were reversed we would he super happy with Wilson and be picking on Jones. It's the situation.. Don't get me wrong BB has proven he can work with average arm talent - don't forget Jimmy G has just average arm strength and is doing pretty well in SF. But its easy to understand why the Jets picked Wilson..
I don't Wilson would even by on NE's draft board, yet you think he'd deal Jones for Wilson in a second? That's insane.

Tell us what you like about Wilson beyond his live arm:

I don’t really see it with Darnold, to be honest. He has never looked like a talented guy being held back. I know he‘s had a couple of decent starts, but I’m skeptical. Yes, the Jets org is a joke and would ruin everyone, but I just don’t think Darnold would have succeeded anywhere. He would have been better, but he was so far below par over three years. Just doesn’t seem to have the vision or release, relies on mobility but isn’t quite big or quite fast enough. Doesn’t have consistent accuracy.

Wilson looks awesome…I don’t know what else to say. A great prospect the Jets will ruin. I came in very skeptical about him, but sometimes you can just tell when a guy has the tools when he takes snaps against NFL defenses. Wilson has all the tools, he doesn’t panic back there. and he seems like a good kid who has the intangibles, but he’ll fail with those bozos.
Wilson looks awesome? Care to explain?

When you have to play Troy, Texas State or Coastal Carolina, sure, you may look the the part in college. Where does he look "awesome" exactly? He'll likely bust.

You need more than arm and the penchant to run to the right to bide time on broken plays. He's also small and will likely get hurt trying to play that way.

Why is everyone saying Wilson listed at 6'3" is small? What height is he? How do you know?
Moot point as he sucks. Wrong mentality for a NFL winning QB.

I do agree he is doomed. But if I am being honest I think BB would trade Mac Jones for him in an instant. How many elite QBs in the NFL do not have elite arm talent? Guys that have a big arm can whip it in there as soon as a guy gets beat... This is why guys who are athletic, have a big arm and are accurate will always go high in the draft.

If things were reversed we would he super happy with Wilson and be picking on Jones. It's the situation.. Don't get me wrong BB has proven he can work with average arm talent - don't forget Jimmy G has just average arm strength and is doing pretty well in SF. But its easy to understand why the Jets picked Wilson..
Great point. Remember the time the BB traded Tom Brady so he could keep the elite arm talent Drew Bledsoe? BB loves guys who have awesome arm talent and questionable decision making and coachability.

Why is everyone saying Wilson listed at 6'3" is small? What height is he? How do you know?
Moot point as he sucks. Wrong mentality for a NFL winning QB.
No way he's 6'3. Mac is 6'3 and he stood well above Wilson when side by side. Wilson MIGHT be 6'2, but he simply looks small, well, because he is for a QB.

I just saw a phot of him standing next to 6'2 Rodgers and he's not 6'3. I realize it's just an inch, but everything about this kid screams bust to me.

Last edited:
No way he's 6'3. Mac is 6'3 and he stood well above Wilson when side by side. Wilson MIGHT be 6'2, but he simply looks small, well, because he is for a QB.

I just saw a phot of him standing next to 6'2 Rodgers and he's not 6'3. I realize it's just an inch, but everything about this kid screams bust to me.

He does look small - but Russell Wilson is small - and Zach Wilson physically can do everything Russell can - or Mahommes - who is not that tall either. That's why he went #2. Great arm talent, great athleticism, and solid head on his shoulders. Can he overcome the Jets crap coaching staff - no. But he is still a nice prospect to go after when the Jets sour on him..provided he doesn't get killed by opposing defenses.

Great point. Remember the time the BB traded Tom Brady so he could keep the elite arm talent Drew Bledsoe? BB loves guys who have awesome arm talent and questionable decision making and coachability.
Brady has elite arm talent. Always has.. back when he was a catcher he could throw out any baserunner.. The weak arm stuff was just Tom playing it safe.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back