PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mac Jones is now a Pro Bowler

On the one hand, proud of Mac's development this year. Neat to see some recognition!

On the other hand, the Pro Bowl is a bigger and bigger joke the more they add alternates who weren't quite at the level of play usually associated with the award. Kind of silly.

I like the idea of Mac being surrounded by great players and learning from them. I'd prefer he doesn't play in the game though.
Game should be fine as it’s basically 2 hand touch. But, games played or any activity other than tanning in the sand?

Definitely not.

On the one hand, proud of Mac's development this year. Neat to see some recognition!

On the other hand, the Pro Bowl is a bigger and bigger joke the more they add alternates who weren't quite at the level of play usually associated with the award. Kind of silly.
First Tom Brady and others normalized stars skipping the pro bowl. Then When they moved it to the bye week before the Super Bowl, it made it worse, as all the teams making the Super Bowl tend to have a lot of pro bowlers requiring more replacements.

If he's worth keeping at all after year 4, he should be worth the franchise tag. Keep in mind that in this scenario, he does play well enough to at least get another Pro Bowl selection.
I love the kid, but he didn't play well enough to get it this year.

Not good news.

Under the new CBA, I believe, 2 pro-bowls in the first four years makes the 5th year option THE FRANCHISE TAG.

That's what's happening with Kyler Murray in AZ now.

Mac Jones wasn't a pro-bowl QB this year...
The CBA makes a distinction between players who are on the original ballot and those who are not. So I don't think this applies to Mac. He was not on the original ballot, he was selected as an alternate.

The CBA makes a distinction between players who are on the original ballot and those who are not. So I don't think this applies to Mac. He was not on the original ballot, he was selected as an alternate.
Good to know. Whew.

Reactions: sb1
I like the idea of Mac being surrounded by great players and learning from them. I'd prefer he doesn't play in the game though.
I haven't watched in eons, but isn't it just glorified flag football? Also, pretty much what @scott99 said.

dead to me since Robert Edwards

I haven't watched in eons, but isn't it just glorified flag football? Also, pretty much what @scott99 said.

Oh sure, but to me it's risk versus reward. There's nothing really to be gained from actually playing the game (like you said, it's not real football, so it's not really like giving Mac good reps), so even a small chance of his hand hitting a helmet, or planting a knee wrong, or anything is going to be more than the reward is worth. Not a huge deal, I just like not having to even think about it.

I love the kid, but he didn't play well enough to get it this year.

Yea definitely feels more like a participation trophy, but I'm still happy for Mac and it will definitely have me watching the Pro Bowl this weekend

One added bonus is that it allows Mac a chance to interact with other top players, and sometimes just hanging out at the pro bowl and establishing those relationships and connections could help us lure an upcoming free agent at some point

Andy Dalton (3x)
Kerry Collins (2x)
Derek Anderson
Teddy Bridgewater
Jameis Winston
Nick Foles
Tyrod Taylor
Mitch Trubisky
Elvis Grbac
Vince Young

All made the pro bowl.

I think Mac deserves the nod as an alternate.

Mac should get the island flu...fizzuck this idiot game

Mac should get the island flu...fizzuck this idiot game

He might as well check it out at least this time since he'll be getting regular invites back going forward. ;)

Just like Matt Cassell!

Good for Jones and all, but there must be at least 10 AFC QBs who had a better year I would think.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back