PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Lupica on the "farce" of Deflategate and the Appeal in today's NY Daily News

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatsFanSince74

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Once again, it takes a New York writer to hit the nail on the head regarding Deflategate. Makes us realize that with the CHB and MCI, we truly have the Junior Varsity writing in Boston.

(Mike Lupica writes a long and rambling column on a half dozen topics every Sunday in the NY Daily News, so I'm excerpting the relevant portion and including a link to the entire article below, which I hope is enough to satisfy the Forum's copyright rules. I've highlighted a few points that caught my attention in particular.)

-Once and for all you tell me what Roger Goodell really wins, after spending $20 million prosecuting a misdemeanor in Deflategate, if two out of three appeals court judges come down on his side in this holy war against Tom Brady.
Tell me how he wins and his sport wins.
You tell me how he has actually honored that NFL shield he is always talking about.
I once thought Goodell had the high ground on Deflategate, but that was before the whole thing turned into low farce.
That was before we realized how flawed the science was in Ted Wells’ flawed investigation.
Think about the penalties again, penalties about air:
Draft choices and a million dollar fine and four games for Tom Brady.
Over air.

Or was it more about obstruction of Goodell’s view of NFL justice, nobody really knows anymore?
Here’s what I know, now that this thing might actually be staggering to the finish line:
If I’m Tom Brady, and the NFL commissioner wants me to turn over my cell phone, I tell him what he can do with it, right before I grind it into dust.
You always have to go back to the movie “All About Eve,” one of the best-written movies in the history of the movies:
Roger Goodell isn’t the first guy in sports to think he’s the piano that wrote the concerto.
He’s just the latest.
UNQUOTE

Link:
Lupica: Time to decide on future of Phil Jackson era

Wow! That's pretty strong, and I gave up on reading Lupica because he was always hyper critical of All Things Belichick.

I sincerely hope we get the same type of thing from Peter tomorrow. But I imagine MMQB will be "How Much I Love Peyton Manning pt 499204". Possibly we'll get a Brady mention on page 2 or 3.

Wow! That's pretty strong, and I gave up on reading Lupica because he was always hyper critical of All Things Belichick.

I sincerely hope we get the same type of thing from Peter tomorrow. But I imagine MMQB will be "How Much I Love Peyton Manning pt 499204". Possibly we'll get a Brady mention on page 2 or 3.
When was the last piece from King seriously critical of Goodell and the NFL? I think of King as the Kraft of sportswriters.

The one thing of which we can be sure is that King will blow with the prevailing wind, which will now be anti-Brady.

Roger Goodell isn’t the first guy in sports to think he’s the piano that wrote the concerto.

beautiful

• Agree
Reactions: Ian
DAE think that line is beautiful?

"Tell me how he wins and his sport wins.
You tell me how he has actually honored that NFL shield he is always talking about."

Exactly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
Back