PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Lose the battle, win the war

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Patriots always lose the first day of free agency. It is the day many bad contracts are signed by desperate teams. BB isn't desperate.
Doesn't go all in on the first pot of the night

I honestly don't pay as much attention to the NFL offseason as I used to, because the Patriots constantly have "bad" offseasons that never seem to have an effect on anything. All the free agents lost and all the big signings that don't happen virtually never produce a real-world effect.

I think once you understand every fa is overpaid you like the way we operate. Why over pay when you don't have to & again you know ahead of time you're overpaying.

We should know this by know. If you had to list the importance of our success, mid-level/bargain deals, trades (Chung, Edleman, Brown etc) are atop of any list. We have a top 3-5 fo & it shows every year.

All true, but it doesn't make us feel any better!
flat,800x800,075,f.u2.jpg

Feel better. :D :D

Things could be worse like what the 49ers dished out for a LB coming off of an ACL injury. McKinnon was an overpaid disaster last year and now they’ve done it again.

Last edited:
is this the "We're Doooomed" thread? I expected one to be started sooner than this

I think once you understand every fa is overpaid you like the way we operate. Why over pay when you don't have to & again you know ahead of time you're overpaying.

We should know this by know. If you had to list the importance of our success, mid-level/bargain deals, trades (Chung, Edleman, Brown etc) are atop of any list. We have a top 3-5 fo & it shows every year.

This, plus having Brady and Belichick simply gives them a lot more room for error than most teams. But the number of overpaid mistakes the Patriots have made is pretty small.

It sucks losing good players, but Belichick’s ability to get good compensation for them really helps to offset the losses. They actually end up with more than Trent Brown cost them, and got a really strong season out of him. Same with Brandin Cooks, Randy Moss, Malcolm Butler, Dion Lewis, and many others.........

is this the "We're Doooomed" thread? I expected one to be started sooner than this

I get much less of a sense of that now. It’s like #6, as well as the way they went about winning it, has changed some of that mentality to more trusting in the choices Belichick makes.

We have the master, Belichick!!! Greatest coach and GM!! **** your feelings!

Disconnected questions and thoughts:

What is better?
Having a few marquis (non QB) players and overmatched coaches
or
Lots of above average players coached up by the Hooded One

Was NE's solid 2018 pass rush due more to talent or scheme?

Rephrase: Were NE DL winning their one on one battles consistently?

My view: I saw the NE front 4 locking up with the O line when rushing 4.....and successfully rushing the QB when a LB or more was incorporated into the scheme.

Are any non QBs worth 10% of a teams' payroll?
On teams that spend in such a manner, how often does an injury to the big money player derail their season.

Reference :
$100 mill JJ Watts getting KO'd 2 years ago.
$60 mill Gurley injury derailing the high octane Rams this postseason
etc
etc
etc

What can you buy for $10 mill ($18 mill Flowers - $8 mill Bennett)?
A couple of quality starters?
A slew of quality depth

What can a 3rd round pick become?
A future starter or piece
An annuity
A solid trading chip

Value of a 2 year contract vs 5 year contract?
Flexibility
Minimization of roster/cap damage from..... injury, attitude, loss of skill

Final thoughts: BB has always been to able to create a pass rush....hence his 0% record of paying up for a pass rush. BB has always been more willing to pay premium dollars for elite DBs simply because this select group is far more scarce.

In a 19 week season (16 +3), give me Brady, BB, 21 quality starters, and tons of depth and there is a 50% chance they will be playing in the final game of the playoffs and a 67% chance NE will win that game.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back