PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

LMAO at CA teams...

thecore762

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
The attendance numbers for both rams and chargers were laughable, same as the 49ers too. Except Oakland all the other team attendance numbers are crap.
49ers killed their franchise after letting Harubaugh go and then keeping Kaep.

The attendance numbers for both rams and chargers were laughable, same as the 49ers too. Except Oakland all the other team attendance numbers are crap.

Wait, you're telling me that Goodell managed to royally screw up the Los Angeles goldmine? Now I've heard everything!!!

Last edited:
It's a good thing the only California team attracting fans is moving in two years.

49ers old stadium was fine, they could have renovated it and they would have had good attendance numbers, the new stadium is farther, expensive and parking costs are stupid from what I hear.

Oakland should stay in Oakland, moving to Vegas is stupid and they won't have the attendance numbers...

Roger doing everything in his power to destroy the fanbases. SD and Oakland fans were very devoted to their teams.

Living in Los Angeles, the problem is clear: the Raiders are the top team here. The Raiders--and Rams, to a lesser extent--are the two teams that the locals wanted back here. They didn't want the Chargers. The fans here are not Chargers fans. and that's not going to change overnight because they're suddenly playing 1 hour away in Carson rather than 3-4 hours away in San Diego. I live about a 15 minute drive from where the Chargers are playing, and I don't know anyone who went to yesterday's game.

I think that'll shift over time. The reason why there are so many Raiders fans here is because that's the team that was here when today's 40 year olds were kids. In time, I expect this will change, but it's not going to happen overnight. They've basically lost a generation of fans that have taken their allegiances elsewhere. It might take a decade for them to become part of the local sports scene in any real way, but it'll happen eventually.

The 49ers are a whole other can of worms, their mistake was moving too far away.

Doesn't matter though, Jed York hustled Santa Clara anyways. That's all that matters. Didn't Santa Clara threaten to take control of the stadium or some ****?

Oakland should stay in Oakland, moving to Vegas is stupid and they won't have the attendance numbers...
I think it will, but it may well be largely visiting fans. Why not make it a long weekend in Vegas and watch your home team play the Raiders...... Better than going to Buffalo, Cleveland or Jacksonville......... See how the new hockey team does as a frame of reference........

Football in Los Angeles County:
USC and UCLA >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Rams >>>>>>>>>>>> Chargers

Perhaps people in California just have different priorities other than football - or prefer the college game.

I live in southern california. Its all about the lakers, dodgers, usc football, and ucla basketball. And like Bradyftw said the raiders would be popular if they came back. But even still for 20 years the LA market would just get the best morning games on tv. So people here were exposed to alot of different football teams. Plus we have alot of transplants. Everyone i know already has a footbal team, so bringing the rams back and the chargers here is too little to late.

Also on a side note those dolphins fans arent even visiting fans. Carson is a nice small soccer stadium, those are mostly dolphin fans that live in cali that want to see their team. If the pats played there this year you would see about 90 percent pats fans. Its gonna happen all year. We have enough fans of every team here to make it 8 away games for the chargers. The colisium on the other hand is a dump in a bad part of town and every seat is in the sun. Thats why no one goes there.

Last edited:
What were the actual attendance numbers?

49ers old stadium was fine, they could have renovated it and they would have had good attendance numbers, the new stadium is farther, expensive and parking costs are stupid from what I hear.

Roger doing everything in his power to destroy the fanbases. SD and Oakland fans were very devoted to their teams.
Raiders should stay in Oakland, but I do think the fans will follow if they move. They have too big and loyal of a fanbase, and have already lost their team before.

Roger did nuke the Chargers fanbase for sure, though. It's shot. Did you see the lack of support they had at the stadium yesterday?

Living in Los Angeles, the problem is clear: the Raiders are the top team here. The Raiders--and Rams, to a lesser extent--are the two teams that the locals wanted back here. They didn't want the Chargers. The fans here are not Chargers fans. and that's not going to change overnight because they're suddenly playing 1 hour away in Carson rather than 3-4 hours away in San Diego. I live about a 15 minute drive from where the Chargers are playing, and I don't know anyone who went to yesterday's game.

I think that'll shift over time. The reason why there are so many Raiders fans here is because that's the team that was here when today's 40 year olds were kids. In time, I expect this will change, but it's not going to happen overnight. They've basically lost a generation of fans that have taken their allegiances elsewhere. It might take a decade for them to become part of the local sports scene in any real way, but it'll happen eventually.

The 49ers are a whole other can of worms, their mistake was moving too far away.

No critique of your analysis, it sounds right and sound and good, etc.

Wouldn't one think this multi-billion dollar organization would do tons of polling, surveying, analytics, big data, data scientists, Neilson research, jersey sales by locale, etc., etc., to figure out where the fans were and what they wanted?

And even publish this stuff so the fans just don't think it's the whim of an egotist god-king making random decisions with fans and what they like?

Or even consider that you can't just dump a team on a locale and have whatever magic that makes fans work out? If I were to guess, the biggest predictor of a person liking a team is 1) proximity to your house when you were a kid, or 2) liking the team that your dad liked.

As an example, I have a friend who was until recently a Rams fan because he grew up in St. Louis. He moved to the Boston area AT THE BEGINNING OF THE TB/BB PATRIOTS ERA and remained a Rams fan throughout. Now that the Rams moved to LA, he is no longer a Rams fans, despite not living in St. Louis for like 20 years. WTF?

Anyways, if there were one organization who could really understand the weird phenomena of sports fandom, and would have the resources to study it, would be the NFL. And yet it looks like they just make the **** up.

I bet the Chargers owner's game is getting a taxpayer financed stadium in San Diego eventually. He'll stick it out in LA and then move as soon as possible.

I am trying to remember, who exactly was pushing so hard for teams to move to Los Angeles.

1.) Was it the NFL owners, who thought they each would reap the financial benefit from a relocation fee?

2. ) Was it individual owners seeking a sweetheart stadium deal like the Niners, Bucs and others had been able to wrangle from local municipalities?

3.) Was it the networks, who felt having team(s) there would result in higher ratings and therefore more advertising revenue?

If it was #3 then the networks should have done better research. From this 2011 article there are conflicting viewpoints on that topic.

NFL in L.A. is a ratings conundrum

“There’s definitely an impact nationally and locally,” notes Bill Wanger, exec VP of programming and reseach for Fox Sports Media Group. “From a local standpoint, you’re talking about more than doubling the rating for a home team in L.A. vs. a neutral game. It’s definitely a benefit on the O&O side.”

However, there was also this opposing viewpoint:

Ad buyer Gary Carr of Targetcast thinks his clients won’t be affected much whether there’s an L.A. team or not, and no matter how good that team is. The NFL is an 800-pound gorilla gaining weight, and one or two teams changing cities shouldn’t make much of a difference from an ad perspective.

“I don’t see an earth-shattering change,” he says. “The NFL ratings are pretty damn high as it is.”

Los Angeles seemed completely disinterested in bringing an NFL team back to the area for years. It seemed as though the demand was a fabrication from outside the region. The logic was based strictly on the population for the metropolitan area, and all other factors were excluded.

As for the sweetheart deal the 49ers received for their new stadium, they are not alone. This article lays out a lot of the facts about how they and many other owners have hoodwinked local authorities.

How the NFL Fleeces Taxpayers

Despite all that the 49ers apparently just couldn't help themselves, and wanted to keep even more cash for themselves.

Moneybrawl: How the Mayor of Santa Clara, San Francisco 49ers Went to War over Levi’s Stadium

Levi's Stadium Audit Intensifies Tussle Between Santa Clara and 49ers

Wouldn't one think this multi-billion dollar organization would do tons of polling, surveying, analytics, big data, data scientists, Neilson research, jersey sales by locale, etc., etc., to figure out where the fans were and what they wanted?

Anyways, if there were one organization who could really understand the weird phenomena of sports fandom, and would have the resources to study it, would be the NFL. And yet it looks like they just make the **** up.

The combined arrogance of the NFL owners and Roger Goodell is vaster than the entire universe.

No critique of your analysis, it sounds right and sound and good, etc.

And even publish this stuff so the fans just don't think it's the whim of an egotist god-king making random decisions with fans and what they like?

Or even consider that you can't just dump a team on a locale and have whatever magic that makes fans work out? If I were to guess, the biggest predictor of a person liking a team is 1) proximity to your house when you were a kid, or 2) liking the team that your dad liked.

As an example, I have a friend who was until recently a Rams fan because he grew up in St. Louis. He moved to the Boston area AT THE BEGINNING OF THE TB/BB PATRIOTS ERA and remained a Rams fan throughout. Now that the Rams moved to LA, he is no longer a Rams fans, despite not living in St. Louis for like 20 years. WTF?

You would definitely think that, but at this point I no longer assume any level of competence on the NFL's part. By all accounts, the Rams proposal vs. the Raiders/Chargers proposal apparently came down to putting a sufficiently shiny presentation together that would really wow Jerry Jones and a few other influential owners.

So I basically think that the Rams being the first team back came down to little more than Kroenke willing it to happen and fronting the money necessary to do it. And I think the Chargers joining came down to the Spanos family being the only ones poor enough and shameless enough to be willing to play 2 years in a soccer stadium and then go be a tenant in the Rams' stadium.

I think of all the things they considered, which team LA actually wanted weirdly wasn't one of them. They figured that whatever team ended up there would win over the city, and that could still happen in the future, but it definitely hasn't yet and I don't think it'll happen any time soon.

MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
Back