PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Little OT: Why does Ben Coates never get any HOF consideration?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joey007

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
Is it purely just that he lacked a lengthy career? That’s what I’ve always assumed. Couldn’t be for his production he had during his prime, though.

Made the all decade team in the 90’s, second on the team only to Shannon Sharpe. But you could argue for a good 3-5 year stretch in the mid 90’s that he was THE best TE in football.

I maybe understand why he hasn’t made it due to how short his career was, but it’s just a shame that it seems like he’s never gotten any consideration for it.

Is it purely just that he lacked a lengthy career? That’s what I’ve always assumed. Couldn’t be for his production he had during his prime, though.

Made the all decade team in the 90’s, second on the team only to Shannon Sharpe. But you could argue for a good 3-5 year stretch in the mid 90’s that he was THE best TE in football.

I maybe understand why he hasn’t made it due to how short his career was, but it’s just a shame that it seems like he’s never gotten any consideration for it.
when was the last time anybody has seen him around foxboro? i never see him on tv. never hear him on the radio. He's a ghost.

Coates basically had a 6 year career. Was a 5 time Pro Bowler and 2 time All Pro during that time but fell off fairly quickly. Was clearly a HOF level talent - just did not do it quite long enough.

Drew and Ben played catch. They made it look easy.

Pats HOF induction?
it's been a long long time. He doesn't show up for any pats HOF ceremonies that i can remember. most former players love those. He was a great TE.

Coates basically had a 6 year career. Was a 5 time Pro Bowler and 2 time All Pro during that time but fell off fairly quickly. Was clearly a HOF level talent - just did not do it quite long enough.

The problem there is he actually played 10 seasons. The first 2 and the last 2 are what hurts him legacy wise

Coates on one side, Gronk on the other = good luck, NFL defenses.

He wasn’t a loud mouthed prima Donna. He certainly has comparable stats to other Hall Of Fame TEs. We’ve truly been blessed through the ages, Russ Francis, Ben Coates, Rob Gronkowski. HOPEFULLY we will have another one that will wreak havoc on the NFL soon

Coates was one of a load of Patriots - along w Dave Meggett, Willie MicGinest, and Lawyer Molloy accused of sex assault and/or domestic violence in late 90s...sure that doesn't help, even though he got off on the charge

Coates was one of a load of Patriots - along w Dave Meggett, Willie MicGinest, and Lawyer Molloy accused of sex assault and/or domestic violence in late 90s...sure that doesn't help, even though he got off on the charge
I don’t remember mcginest getting accused. Milloy either. Didn’t Coates just get accused of fathering a bunch of kids?
Meggett sexually assaulted a wheel chair bound woman so I don’t think you should lump the others with him

I don’t remember mcginest getting accused. Milloy either. Didn’t Coates just get accused of fathering a bunch of kids?
Meggett sexually assaulted a wheel chair bound woman so I don’t think you should lump the others with him
Yea Willie was on the straight and narrow. I think Milloy had a run in with Foxboro cops in 1997 but it was for speeding and he was totally sober.

I remember the story of Coats' wife flying up from SC and suprising him one night for his birthday during the preseason. She witnessed him"entertaining" a young woman at his apt. She hit him over the head with an object and he missed a couple of practices.

Also should mention this came up as a thought for me today because I saw that it’s Ben’s 50th birthday today.

Happy birthday, big guy.

They actually have dirty jerseys... Now its arena ball

I don’t remember mcginest getting accused. Milloy either.

I do, it was BS. McGinest and Milloy were accused by a woman of assaulting her outside the Roxy. She had no witnesses and didn't call the cops but filed suit against them. A clerk magistrate decided her story didn't pass the sniff test.

Didn’t play for the Steelers, Giants or Colts.

I really like Ben Coates but I don't think he deserves the HOF. I know that may be an unpopular opinion on this board. Don't get me wrong, I think he was a very good player. He belongs to the group of players who just fall short by a little bit IMO.

That being said I think his name needs to be brought up. He is good enough to be nominated. He deserves that honor at least. The fact his name isn't thrown in and eliminated is unfair to him.

Ben Winter Coates was a “true TE” that was a monster road grader in the running game and a soft-handed receiving threat in the passing game. He had some of the flashy stats, but not the longevity of the pass catching TEs, like Gonzales or Sharpe who couldn’t block for Bleep. Unfortunately, Coates will probably get snubbed by the NFL HOF just like Mark Bavaro - another true TE.

I was at the regular season finale at Giants stadium in 96 when Coates carried half the NY defense on his back to score the game winning TD. What a play!

Last edited:
Yeah well Bledsoe crushed a lady from crowd surfing at an Everclear concert.

The 90’s were wild times, man.

I think he's borderline and I loved him when he was here but it was too short of a peak.

Watching that video however Zach Thomas should already be in the Hall. I hate the Dolphins and you hated going up against that guy because you knew he was going to kill you even when the Fins teams weren't that great. I also think Sam Maddison should get in but it's not as clear cut as Thomas. Maddison and Surtain at their peak were a devastating duo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News