PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Linebacker (RFA) Brandon Marshall?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joey007

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
This guy has a 2nd round tender from Denver. Now that we have two 2nds, anyone interested in landing this guy and giving up a 2nd so we could:

A. Weaken Denvers defense even further.
B. Give us the unquestioned best LB core in the NFL.

Thoughts?

Hey just throwing it out there

The guy is a beast and some other team should consider it. If we didn't have Jamie + Donta I'd consider doing this to piss off Elway.

My 2/3's are for an OT and DT/WR/RB. We are good at LB.

Sign everybody……..call the jeweler….reserve the duck boat…..reinforce Krafty's booster seat…..19-0…
The Unfinished Business Tour begins

I like him but I think they need to spend the 2nd somewhere else.

They seem to be in a good place with OLB/ILB right now.

If he was better I would say yes if losing him would really dash their hopes completely but he is not that kind of player so no. If that is not the case you need to ask what kind of 1 yr rental is worth a low 2nd round pick.

Not many. It would need to be a true game changer... A top 20 player who the odds makers up your chances with instantly. He is not that.

It seems a lot of Broncos players are suddenly all-world much like the Seahwaks supposedly had eleven all-world players a few years ago...that led to overvaluing players and expecting guys like Thurmond, Maxwell, and Browner. The Broncos certainly have a lot of excellent players on that defense, but I think their value is overinflated right now due to playing in that unit.

It seems a lot of Broncos players are suddenly all-world much like the Seahwaks supposedly had eleven all-world players a few years ago...that led to overvaluing players and expecting guys like Thurmond, Maxwell, and Browner. The Broncos certainly have a lot of excellent players on that defense, but I think their value is overinflated right now due to playing in that unit.

Browner was a beast at one thing, jamming the **** out of bigger, not as quick, wrs/TEs and manning up down the field with help over the top. He required an elite man cover corner opposite him, allowing the safety ro be rolled his way. BB knew this. BB used him to his strengths. The NO front office was still hammered from Mardi Gras festivities and decided he's a number 1 corner...and...well yeah.

Edit: Not arguing your point, just not sure Browner was the best example is all.

Browner was a beast at one thing, jamming the **** out of bigger, not as quick, wrs/TEs and manning up down the field with help over the top. He required an elite man cover corner opposite him, allowing the safety ro be rolled his way. BB knew this. BB used him to his strengths. The NO front office was still hammered from Mardi Gras festivities and decided he's a number 1 corner...and...well yeah.

Edit: Not arguing your point, just not sure Browner was the best example is all.

Point taken...Browner was an overall asset to this team in 2014, though in some way it reinforces my point. He was great within this system with an elite cornerback on the other side; he was very good in certain matchups. Perfect fit for a system that supported him, just like in Seattle. The Saints were not the only team that rated him as a CB2 and some teams thought he was a CB1 earlier in Seattle.

5 years ago I would have been all about giving up a 2nd for Marshall. These are different times, and the #3 LB is only a sub player unless either Hightower or Collins get hurt. With McClellan, Freeney, Bostic and Humber on board there are all ready far more players than playing time. The money needed to sign Marshall (I would guess $5 million at least) would be poorly spent, and would indicate to me that one of our two (better) linebackers isn't coming back in 2017.

• Agree
Reactions: jah
Not a bad idea. The problem is the #2 pick. He had 102 tackles and 4 PBU. The problem with me is he was a 5th rounder by the Jaguars and did not work there. 2nd is steep. But then again we get Shea McClellan who was from that same Draft class and the Pats see his value. You don't give three years to a player coming in on a "look see".

Jones was in that 2012 class and yet the Cardinals traded for him at a great financial cost because the potential of even a first round Draft pick, might not outweigh the Chandler Jones "proof of concept" , that he had developed into a star and "the bugs have been worked out".

Same can be said about Marshall, "the bugs have been worked out".

Here is the formula. He is only 26 so age works, Production obviously, If you are Nick and BB, does his value today and potential tomorrow exceed that of a second round pick? With Marshall you have a known factor right now, not to develop when and how fast does it happen.

A Draft pick has only a 17% chance per total league average for a Draft class from rounds 1-7, to be a Starter or Pro Bowl type player using three years as the determining factor. Marshall is definitely with in that 17% success as is Jones but not McClellan. He is not quite yet although he has started some .

Picks one, two and there have more success to beat that 17% number, and round two will definitely be a cheaper venue for the Team for now. You have to weigh cost and potential that might not show immediately (see McClellan), versus proven success and immediate return or R.O.I..

So hear is the riddle, are Marshall and Cooper worth Chandler Jones in production and potential and perhaps Team cost if Jones commands $17mm on the open market? Although not a sack master, Marshall should fair very well with High and Collins. His production (at his position) should mirror Jones pending injury. Marshall is proved to be more durable (one game in two years). His "light" came on when he reached the Broncos. Cooper is more of the unknown. You might own the pair for $10mm with restructures etc.

The second rounder is still an "easy to frown at" sticking point. If we are in the need for an OLB in the Draft, isn't Marshall a safer route? Only BB can say.
DW Toys

Not a bad idea. The problem is the #2 pick. He had 102 tackles and 4 PBU. The problem with me is he was a 5th rounder by the Jaguars and did not work there. 2nd is steep. But then again we get Shea McClellan who was from that same Draft class and the Pats see his value. You don't give three years to a player coming in on a "look see".

Jones was in that 2012 class and yet the Cardinals traded for him at a great financial cost because the potential of even a first round Draft pick, might not outweigh the Chandler Jones "proof of concept" , that he had developed into a star and "the bugs have been worked out".

Same can be said about Marshall, "the bugs have been worked out".

Here is the formula. He is only 26 so age works, Production obviously, If you are Nick and BB, does his value today and potential tomorrow exceed that of a second round pick? With Marshall you have a known factor right now, not to develop when and how fast does it happen.

A Draft pick has only a 17% chance per total league average for a Draft class from rounds 1-7, to be a Starter or Pro Bowl type player using three years as the determining factor. Marshall is definitely with in that 17% success as is Jones but not McClellan. He is not quite yet although he has started some .

Picks one, two and there have more success to beat that 17% number, and round two will definitely be a cheaper venue for the Team for now. You have to weigh cost and potential that might not show immediately (see McClellan), versus proven success and immediate return or R.O.I..

So hear is the riddle, are Marshall and Cooper worth Chandler Jones in production and potential and perhaps Team cost if Jones commands $17mm on the open market? Although not a sack master, Marshall should fair very well with High and Collins. His production (at his position) should mirror Jones pending injury. Marshall is proved to be more durable (one game in two years). His "light" came on when he reached the Broncos. Cooper is more of the unknown. You might own the pair for $10mm with restructures etc.

The second rounder is still an "easy to frown at" sticking point. If we are in the need for an OLB in the Draft, isn't Marshall a safer route? Only BB can say.
DW Toys

If I'm understanding you correctly, I think I agree. If we think there's still a big need for a linebacker, this would be a much safer use of a second round pick, although our offer would probably have to be pretty good not to be matched.

However, as said above, I think we've addressed the position enough already in free agency considering there's 2 All Pros and realistically only 2 starting spots. You don't spend a 2nd + big contract on depth. I'd be 100% for this if we didn't have both Collins and Hightower.

no........

If they draft Collins, Gronk or Vollmer no ... Tavon, Ras - I ... Yes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes