PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Lets be realistic.... Do you think we'll go far in the playoffs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fortune telling isn't realistic and we haven't made the playoffs yet. The secondary is a challenge, but we are good to great most other places if we play as we should, so why not?

Realistically speaking, we didn't win in 2001, for what that's worth.

Why?

Because if they win, they win.

I "worry" based on a specific quality.

Green Bay is the best team. However, with their offensive line, I believe we can pressure with four and drop seven in coverage. I also, don't fear their running game.

They will score but how much will be required?

Also, they have the 31st ranked defense.

Finally, contrary to mythical status, Clay Matthews is WAY OVERRATED.
patsfans.com just doesn't have it to figure out the obvious.

New Orleans has a much better offensive line and stable of running backs.

Have you ever bothered to consider the "matchup" concept?

Of course. What I saw last year when the Pats were on a roll, was a Packers team that came to Foxboro without its starting QB, and very nearly beat the Patriots. Their D isn't playing as well statistically as they did last year but I strongly suspect that they will improve over the 2nd half of the season. They are dangerous. And their offense is playing MUCH better than they did last year. I'm wondering how on earth we are going to slow Green Bay down. Rodgers is playing some of the best ball a QB can possibly play. He has weapons all over the place. Their runners won't kill you if they plan on pounding you 40 times on the ground, but they're skilled enough to be a real problem if you over commit yourself to defending the pass.

Why you wouldn't consider the Packers to be a difficult matchup for the Patriots I have no idea.

BTW I agree with you on New Orleans...I think they would be tough as well.

If the offense plays like the first 3 games of the year and the second half against the jets we can beat anyone

If they play like they did against Buf, Pit and NYG then we have no chance

In a pass-happy league its all about who out-scores who, Brady would have to be a lot better in the PO's than he has the last several seasons

Of course. What I saw last year when the Pats were on a roll, was a Packers team that came to Foxboro without its starting QB, and very nearly beat the Patriots. Their D isn't playing as well statistically as they did last year but I strongly suspect that they will improve over the 2nd half of the season. They are dangerous. And their offense is playing MUCH better than they did last year. I'm wondering how on earth we are going to slow Green Bay down. Rodgers is playing some of the best ball a QB can possibly play. He has weapons all over the place. Their runners won't kill you if they plan on pounding you 40 times on the ground, but they're skilled enough to be a real problem if you over commit yourself to defending the pass.

Why you wouldn't consider the Packers to be a difficult matchup for the Patriots I have no idea.

BTW I agree with you on New Orleans...I think they would be tough as well.

Rush three or four and drop seven or eight in coverage while mixing in a little other stuff.

Are they going to be kept to 150 yards/ 3 points? Nope

Can they be kept to the mid twenties? Yeah.

Any team that makes it to the Super Bowl is an excellent team playing at a very high level. You have to "fear" any opponent on the big stage.

Based on the team currently structured, I think New Orleans is a tougher matchup based on their oline. I don't know if you could pressure with three or four.

That's why I "fear" them more.

It depends on the matchups and how consistently the team executes. No AFC team is without it's warts this season. Patsfans just focus so intently on ours they fail to grasp that. Baltimore and Houston have ?? at QB and offenses that struggle (or will now begin to) to put up points. Pittsburgh is always subject to Ben's variables, and he just fractured his thumb. In a rematch I like our chances. The Bengals have a rookie QB. The Raiders have a statue. The Chargers are a hot mess. The JETS are the SOJ's...

Well said, the other equalizer is how well we recover from the recent onslaught of injuries...

Tarpinian is an UDFA who seems to be ok, but Fletcher is better. Will Spikes come back full tilt or limping?? McCourty and Chung both can have significant injuries that could hamper them for the rest of the season... Volmer has been concerning, but with Cannon added to the roster it looks like we may have quality O Line Depth.

BJGE obviously is bothered by his turf toe.. can he come back when we need him in December??

Our D backfield did ok last weekend, but this week there is an abundance of film available to show their weaknesses.... Tyler Palko may look like Peyton Manning.

Ben's fractured thumb can be significant, even when injured he takes too many risks with his body.. he should take a week off, but with Baltimore and Cincinnati right on their heals, not sure he can.

If the Jags and Seahawks can beat the Ravens, why can't the Patriots? This year, anyone who gets into the playlets has a shot to win especially in the AFC. Every team has some significant flaws.

True but what I've noticed about the Ravens is that they play to the competition. They beat all of the good teams they play, sweep the Steelers but lose to the Jags, Titans and Seahawks.

Don't ever look past the Ravens, yes we have beaten them in every game except that one playoff game but its always close with them.

It depends upon the matchups and how well Brady plays in a given game.

Not since Manning has the QB of an elite franchise felt such pressure. I almost feel like Brady needs to put up 30 in every game if we are to have a chance to win. The same goes for the playoffs - we aren't going to get by Pittsburgh or Houston without 30 points. The Ravens D may not allow us 30 points…but Flacco may not be up to putting up more than 20 on us, anyway.

Like everyone has been pointing out, every team has flaws just like us. One thing for sure is that you need great QB play and gameplans that put players in position to succeed. We have the best QB and the best HC. So yeah, I like our chances.

After witnessing 2001, where we started 1-3 and our QB was out, anything is possible. We have as good a chance as any AFC team of getting to the SB, and I like our chances vs. any NFC team in 1 game if we get there.

Our D is statistically bad this year but still a better D than the past couple of years, and assuming we get our injured guys back there's reason to believe they will be tough down the stretch.

Our O is the best and most balanced it's ever been, and much better positioned to deal with the defenses of Baltimore, the Jets, and Steelers. The TE's allow us to leave more blockers in to deal with their blitzes, as well as make them pay with the run when they put 6 or 7 db's out there.

The Steelers are our biggest obstacle, so I'd like to see us with home field against them. Pats are going to run the table, and the Steelers could too but they have to play at SF so there's some hope there.

I'm very bullish on the Pats going all the way this year.

Last edited:
Maybe. Since the AFC sucks it's possible we could go to the SB since our only real competition is Pitt and we usually have a ton of success against them. Baltimore scares me despite how poor they've been playing because I feel like we always have close games against them.

BUT...if we do make it to the SB I don't like our chances against GB/NO/NYG or basically any team that has an efficient passing attack.

Don't let the recent win get to you - this defense is TERRIBLE and my fear is any team that throws the ball efficiently will dominate this defense.

Does anyone here really think we have a SuperBowl team?

Yes.

This team is just as good as any of the following teams:

Patriots 2001
Giants 2007
Jets 1969
Giants 1990
Broncos 1997
Steelers 2005

None of those teams were the "best" team in the league. In some cases not even a top 5 team.

We will have huge problems with Baltimore, Houston, Pittsburgh, Green Bay, Giants and a few other teams.

I thought our team had a special quality to it last year. Maybe it was all the rookies. Maybe it was the emergence of Woodhead and the return of Branch. Who knows. I thought we had a good chance last year. But this year? Nahhh.

Does anyone here really think we have a SuperBowl team?

in :rolleyes:a word-no(still enjoy watching anyway)

What's realistic? Apparently no more than 48 hours of enjoying a win before the glass half-full gloom-and-doomers return to inform us that we're wasting our time following this team.

If the Sunday play from the emerging bookends, Carter and Anderson, was not a fluke, then I see the defense improving to be competitive playoff stock.

Last edited:
What's realistic? Apparently no more than 48 hours of enjoying a win before the glass half-full gloom-and-doomers return to inform us that we're wasting our time following this team.

This is their way of lashing out because they are irate we beat the Jets.

Rush three or four and drop seven or eight in coverage while mixing in a little other stuff.

Are they going to be kept to 150 yards/ 3 points? Nope

Can they be kept to the mid twenties? Yeah.

Any team that makes it to the Super Bowl is an excellent team playing at a very high level. You have to "fear" any opponent on the big stage.

Based on the team currently structured, I think New Orleans is a tougher matchup based on their oline. I don't know if you could pressure with three or four.

That's why I "fear" them more.

Ok. You make it sound so easy. I sure hope you're right. If the Pats hold GB to 24-27 points, no question we'd have a legit shot at winning. I don't know if it will be that easy, but of course there's a chance. I think if this Pats team gets into the playoffs (which seems most likely they will) they will be very dangerous. I'm not sure too many teams will be eager to play them.

There's a lot of parity in the AFC right now with Pittsburgh coming out on top because of the aura of surprise that they pulled off against the Pats in the last game. I don't think the Pats would be as surprised the second time around as the defensive philosophy is since shifted and relied more heavily on man coverage with at least one deep safety. Baltimore's offense is terrible and we have the weapons to score on their defense. I don't see anybody in the AFC West presenting much of a challenge.

In a conference where parity rules, coaching is usually what pushes most teams ahead of the pack. With Belichick and Brady on their game, this team could go far in the playoffs. If both are off of their game and the defense is surrendering tons of yards at a time, we're one and done.

There's a lot of parity in the AFC right now with Pittsburgh coming out on top because of the aura of surprise that they pulled off against the Pats in the last game. I don't think the Pats would be as surprised the second time around as the defensive philosophy is since shifted and relied more heavily on man coverage with at least one deep safety. Baltimore's offense is terrible and we have the weapons to score on their defense. I don't see anybody in the AFC West presenting much of a challenge.

In a conference where parity rules, coaching is usually what pushes most teams ahead of the pack. With Belichick and Brady on their game, this team could go far in the playoffs. If both are off of their game and the defense is surrendering tons of yards at a time, we're one and done.

This is very true.

I hate losing to the Stealers. However, there was ample articles that the Stealers would get beyond "do what we do" and we seemed oblivious that this might occurr.

Also, the idea that the Stealers would "dink and dunk" seemed to have very little initial consideration. This despite the fact they did it the few previous games.

Baltimore did prove that they have man coverage limitations. Their offense also bogs down after the initial suprise drives.

Ok. You make it sound so easy. I sure hope you're right. If the Pats hold GB to 24-27 points, no question we'd have a legit shot at winning. I don't know if it will be that easy, but of course there's a chance. I think if this Pats team gets into the playoffs (which seems most likely they will) they will be very dangerous. I'm not sure too many teams will be eager to play them.

It's not easy.

It's not insurmountable, either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes