PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Let’s build a great running team

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
It just makes sense going forward doesn’t it? Given the uncertainty we are facing at QB with Brady’s looming decision. If he leaves our options are Stidham who is an unknown, a draft pick who will take time to develop, or a veteran on the market. I happen to favor the latter, where Bridgewater is probably the best QB that will actually be available to us, and he’s a QB that works best with a run oriented team. Regardless of who we sign it’s new QB in a new system so adjustment will be needed. And if Brady returns he’s at the age where decline can be sudden and very rapid, like Peyton Manning in the middle of the season in Denver.

It’s a period of transition for us. And every scenario has a certain degree of uncertainty in the passing game. So why not become a run oriented team? We are currently 60-40 pass to run. Let’s aim for 50-50 or 55-45 run or more. It would provide cushion for whoever is playing QB. And it would help us produce offense on the ground with our current shortage of reliable receivers

We’ll still have Michel obviously. And we can draft a running back in the 1st round. Some of the mocks don’t have any RBs going in round 1, so we should have our pick of guys like Cam Akers, Travis Etienne, Najee Harris, J.K. Dobbins, etc and maybe a chance to get a second one of these guys in round 2 if we wanted. Then sign another guy on the market in 2021, someone like Dalvin Cook or Alvin Kamara, there will be a lot of good RBs available that year. That will give us a deep stable of playmaking backs, which will help the younger ones develop

Let’s play power football

You forgot about getting the flux capacitor to make this work in the 1960s.

Add a decent FB and a TE proficient at blocking and we already have what we need.
If Devlin returns healthy then we just need the TE ...

Disagree. I want a crappy run game. Bring back Maroney!

You forgot about getting the flux capacitor to make this work in the 1960s.

Are you saying that run dominated teams can't win in today's game? Have you seen the Ravens? They have a chance to break the record for most yards in a season set by the 78 Pats. And Jackson is just a second year QB, Ingram has a while left too. They're just getting started, and they're going to be one of our biggest road blocks for years to come.

People are too worried about "how to stop them", which I'm not sure is possible, to ask "how to beat them" which is entirely possible. They owned time of possession 37:01 to 22:59 against us. They had two 14 play touchdown drives in the 2nd half of 8:09 in the 3rd Qtr and 9:35 in the 4th. Altogether they controlled the ball for about 19 out of 30 minutes in the 2nd half.

You don't beat a team like that with no huddle quick strike passing. You beat them by keeping that offense off of the field with long sustained scoring drives and lots of runs to wear their defense out, keep them on the field, and demoralize them.

The 49ers showed how to beat them. They kept time of possession close at 32:26 to 27:34 for the game, and won time in the second half 16 to 14, keeping Jackson on the sideline most of the 3rd Qtr. They succeeded by matching them in rushing yards 174 to 178. They only lost because they missed on 4th down and the Ravens were able to milk the last 6 minutes on one of those long drives for a game winning FG. The 49ers likely win if they had converted that 4th down.

But that's what its going to take to beat them this year and in the years ahead. And I don't know if we're made for that kind of game. We're going to have to adjust to what they are doing in years ahead if we want to get through them, and I think that means being an elite run team

The Ravens are a very poor example of why running teams win, or should win.

The Ravens have a QB who will have more running yardage than any QB in the history of the NFL. The team is a winner because Roman built an offense around Jackson and his abilities.

The top teams in the league are rarely running teams. Top teams sometimes are high in the running stats because they often are running a lot late in the game with a lead. Therefore, all top teams should have a decent running game.

I suppose that the Titans are an example of a very good running team. I would note that their QB has the best or very close to the best passing stats since he was instituted as a starter.
==========
The NFL is a passing league and has been for long time.

The answer to transition at QB is NOT to try to re-invent the NFL. I agree that we should be more balanced as we transition. But that is already the plan of Belichick. We are one of the few teams that plays with a FB. We have HAD at least one blocking TE; two being much better for our offense. Belichick drafted Michel last year and Harris this year.

But in the end, we are a passing team. White gets more passing reps than anyone in the league. We expect ALL of our running backs to be receivers.
======
Finally, if the league is moving to more successful running teams, these teams are ones that require a running quarterback, or at least one where QB runs are an important part of the offense.

Are you saying that run dominated teams can't win in today's game? Have you seen the Ravens? .

Thought that was the intent this year when they drafted Damian Harris, however the absence of a blocking TE(Gronk), loss of Andrews and Develin has altered their plans..

Not to say that they would become some sort of RB powerhouse, but would rely on the run more than we are used to.. or minimally take some pressure off of #12.

Last I checked the Ravens haven't won anything yet.

Still need to make plays in the passing game to win championships.

Need balance, Daniel-san

In Okinawa, belt mean no need rope hold up pants.

Hell with kindergarten, everything I needed in life I learned from Mr Miyagi.
And boards don't hit back!

In Okinawa, belt mean no need rope hold up pants.

Hell with kindergarten, everything I needed in life I learned from Mr Miyagi.
Cobra Kai Season 3 Spring 2020. Rumor is Elizabeth Shue is coming back, LaRusso is traveling to Okinawa and Johnny is switching from Coors Lights to Bud Lights

Ravens having a great offense in 2019 does not mean that they will in years to come. People get old, hurt or require a boatload of money. Other team will adapt to this style and they will need to adjust themselves. If LJ is able to sustain or elevate his level of play the Ravens should be a tough out but they will not be able to do it with exact same approach.

Cobra Kai Season 3 Spring 2020. Rumor is Elizabeth Shue is coming back, LaRusso is traveling to Okinawa and Johnny is switching from Coors Lights to Bud Lights

If you saw The Boys season one on Amazon...Elizabeth Shue is still the rich girl next door but now with more cougar.

If you saw The Boys season one on Amazon...Elizabeth Shue is still the rich girl next door but now with more cougar.
I did see a recent interview with her. She still looks good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes