PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Lavar Arrington a Patriot?

Status
Not open for further replies.
old 55 said:
I thought he had signed with the Gaints so he could try to stick it to the Skins twice a season.

I'm in Northern VA - he's a guy that wants to play, but doesn't play within the system. He created problems with the Skins D because he would give up his assignment to try to get to the QB or RB. He did get burned doing this. I remember a game they lost to the Giants in 2004 that the Giants recognized that he had left his coverage position and they got the ball to their FB who went for about 40 yds and srt up the winning score.

Lots of ability, but I don't see him being the kind of player we typically are looking for.
I think the key here is to not attempt to control Lavar by putting any form of reigns on him but, rather, design a gameplan which cuts him loose. Fortunately, our HC has experience doing just a thing with a guy (Lawrence Taylor) who played very much like Lavar now does.

BB was smart enough to allow LT to do what he does best. I imagine he'd allow Lavar to do the same if he was to sign him.

Arrington seems like the last guy who would fit in here.

How does BB bring in a guy, for big money, who admittedly doesnt play the defense called, because the call was designed for him to make the play?

Bobs My Uncle said:
I think the key here is to not attempt to control Lavar by putting any form of reigns on him but, rather, design a gameplan which cuts him loose. Fortunately, our HC has experience doing just a thing with a guy (Lawrence Taylor) who played very much like Lavar now does.

BB was smart enough to allow LT to do what he does best. I imagine he'd allow Lavar to do the same if he was to sign him.

And LT was the #2 draft pick overall. Every team in the NFL except the Saints would have drafted him #1 overall.

Not relevant, but interesting, is that LA was the #2 draft pick overall. He would have been the #1 pick overall, but he let it be known that he didn't care to play for Cleveland.

And back to relevance, remember that in Parcells' second draft here, he used the #4 overall pick to draft LT-lite. It's definitely a priority role for the defense.

AndyJohnson said:
Arrington seems like the last guy who would fit in here.

How does BB bring in a guy, for big money, who admittedly doesnt play the defense called, because the call was designed for him to make the play?
Maybe BB does it by explaing to those who question him that it worked out exceptionally well when he had LT do it this way ;)

dryheat44 said:
And back to relevance, remember that in Parcells' second draft here, he used the #4 overall pick to draft LT-lite. It's definitely a priority role for the defense.
That it is. Generating a pass rush out of the LB spot is critical to the success of the defense when you two gap up front as this defense does.

I think that Colvin is very good in this regard but Lavar, if allowed to do so, is exponentially better IMHO. The possibility of having both in ready, set, sack mode, is very appealing.

Can anyone confirm LA's agents? Still Poston's? Were they not the one's who screwed up his bonus money or am I thinking of someone else?

Bobs My Uncle said:
Maybe BB does it by explaing to those who question him that it worked out exceptionally well when he had LT do it this way ;)

That is a ridiculous analogy.

LT is an all-time great.
Arrington at this point is a draft BUST.

He lost his starting job. His team let him walk.

LT never ignored the defense called.
LT on hois worst day outplayed LA's best day so far in his career.

I think its way off the mark to compare a failed #2 pick to the best #2 pick of all time.

Bobs My Uncle said:
That it is. Generating a pass rush out of the LB spot is critical to the success of the defense when you two gap up front as this defense does.

I think that Colvin is very good in this regard but Lavar, if allowed to do so, is exponentially better IMHO. The possibility of having both in ready, set, sack mode, is very appealing.

What happens when Arrington is supposed to be playing the run and blitzes instead? This is a team defense concept.

I honestly dont see enough evidence that Arrington can even certainly be a good pass rusher. ITs a huge stretch to call him better than Colvin.

AndyJohnson said:

LT is an all-time great.

I think its way off the mark to compare a failed #2 pick to the best #2 pick of all time.
Ummmmm, thus the "wink" smiley.

But, LT ignored the called defense all the time. He blamed it on being high out there too much as I recall :eek:

Bobs My Uncle said:
But, LT ignored the called defense all the time. He blamed it on being high out there too much as I recall :eek:
Yeah, given LT's issues I find it impossible to believe that he played within the concept of Belichick's defense at all times.

I had as amny sacks as Arrington last year, and I didnt even play.
In the last 2 seasons he has 1 more than me. And I didnt play any games.

For his career he averages 3.75 sacks a year.

What are you expecting from him?

He just isnt that good.
He is a draft BUST. Just because someone miscalculated his potnetial doesnt make him a better player than he is.

The guy has been in the league 6 years and has more than 4 sacks 2 times, and more than 6 just once.

AndyJohnson said:

LT is an all-time great.

A bust?

3 pro bowls
22.5 Sacks
Averages over 80 tackles a season (when he starts)
Other then 2004 has been injury free

Not sure how you can consider him a bust! Based on reports you can call him a lot of things but not a bust.

By those definitions, up until 4 seasons ago you could have claimed Willie was a bust!

Last edited:
Postons S***canned??

DefenseRules said:
Don't get to excited guys. Remember, this is Only a Rumor. And most importantly, he's a POSTON client. I don't believe it, but hey, anything is possible. They better do something soon to start filling some of these holes.

I thought Arrington ash-canned the Poston's for screwing up and not reading the contract they signed in his behalf with the 'Skins..??

AndyJohnson said:
I had as amny sacks as Arrington last year, and I didnt even play.
In the last 2 seasons he has 1 more than me. And I didnt play any games.
Talk about ridiculous analogies.

AndyJohnson said:
For his career he averages 3.75 sacks a year.

What are you expecting from him?

I'm not expecting anything from him unless he's signed. Only then will I defer to BB's decision on the matter as being the right one.

AndyJohnson said:
He just isnt that good.
He is a draft BUST. Just because someone miscalculated his potnetial doesnt make him a better player than he is.
Or, maybe it's more someone miscalculated how to use his immense skills?

Since when is BB's defense about sacks and individual stats?

mgcolby said:
A bust?

3 pro bowls
22.5 Sacks
Averages over 80 tackles a season (when he starts)
Other then 2004 has been injury free

Not sure how you can consider him a bust! Based on reports you can call him a lot of things but not a bust.

By those definitions, up until 4 seasons ago you could have claimed Willie was a bust!

Are you honestly telling me Arrington deserved to go to pro-bowls?
You think 22.5 sacks in 6 years is good?

Check out what Willie McG did. Its miles ahead of Arrington.

If Arrington isnt a bust why did his team bench him? Why did they not want him at this age? Why does he have 1 sack in thye last 2 years?

Garbanza said:
OK. Take that out. Isnt it about players who carry out their assignemnts?

Sure its not about stats, but could a guy getting 1 sack in 2 years possibly help as a pass rusher?

Bobs My Uncle said:

I'm not expecting anything from him unless he's signed. Only then will I defer to BB's decision on the matter as being the right one.

Or, maybe it's more someone miscalculated how to use his immense skills?

So your argument is we should sign him because if we sign him that means BB thinks he is good????
Thats a pretty circular argument.

Bobs My Uncle said:

Just pointing out that his numbers are a lot closer to zero than to the best guy ever to play the position.

Actually the analogy to someone who produces nothing is closer to the one that says he compares to LT.

Garbanza said:
It's about pressure on the QB. How, or where that pressure comes from is immaterial. If it comes about from 1 person so be it. BB doesn't care just so long as it comes from somewhere or from someone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST