PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Last 2 days, I watched all 5 "3 Games to Glory" (reactions)

Status
Not open for further replies.

upstater1

Hall of Fame Poster
Reaction score
So, I watched all 15 playoff games from the Super Bowl winning seasons.

I really enjoyed doing this, much more than I thought I would. Some takeaways:

1. The hitting is a night and day difference. When people say Brady played in an era when the QB was protected, they need to be reminded that the first 10 years of his career, QBs were hit very hard. And so were receivers. Headshots, launching, just a much rougher version of the sport. Night and day.

2. The Titans game in 2003 was gut wrenching. That may be the game that I thought the Patriots were practically done for.

3. While the 2017 SB against Atlanta is easily the most exciting game of them all, the best game might have been the 2003 SB against Carolina. It had more high level plays than the 2017 SB with players from both teams making multiple spectacular plays. And that game had it all, a defensive slugfest for the first 29 minutes, then an unreal aerial attack by both teams for 31 minutes. Receivers for both teams made outstanding catches on balls that were thrown with incredible accuracy.

4. I tended to remember the Panthers offense taking off when we lost Rodney to a broken arm. Much to my surprise, Rodney broke his arm on the last Carolina series with under 2 minutes left, so Carolina really did throw all those yards against our outstanding defense.

5. Jake Delhomme's performance was the best ever by an opposing QB against the Patriots in the playoffs, nipping Peyton's 2006 performance. It was better than Nick Foles's performance. Delhomme threw the ball through tight windows with outstanding velocity and accuracy. He threw perfect balls downfield with touch. He stood in the pocket and took hard hits. He showed more guts than any opposing QB I remember.

6. By his third season, Tom Brady was already Tom Brady. You can see it against the Colts in 03 and especially the Super Bowl. And his downfield throws were beautiful and on point, deadly accurate. Not a dink and dunker, despite what anyone says. He was godly in that 2003 Super Bowl, and he really saved the defense's bacon. If not for the sheer improbability of the 2017 Super Bowl, the 2003 game would rank as the best for me.

7. I can't believe Adam Vinatieri missed 2 field goals in the first half with the first one being a mere chip shot. Wow.

8. Penalties. No one seems to remember really questionable penalties that the Patriots overcame back then. In the Tennessee game, the Titans were dead in the water on a 4th down play, when Richard Seymour was called for a late hit on the passer. Replays showed Seymour got to McNair a split second after McNair released the ball, and there was no headshot, at least nothing comparable to what dozens of replays showed on other sacks. Also, Troy Brown in the Carolina Super Bowl was called for offensive PI on a really questionable call, putting the Patriots into 3rd and long while down to the Panthers late in the 4th qtr. Brown came back between 2 defenders and high pointed the ball, there was outstanding accuracy by Brady, or perhaps even a bit of a reckless throw since the defender had position and somehow Brown snatched it right out of his hands to convert a crucial 4th down that enabled the Patriots go ahead TD. Anyway, looking back, you see so many egregious calls that would have been talked about endlessly today, or else forgotten instantly because they went against the Patriots.

9. Can't believe Peyton threw 4 INTs in the 2003 AFCCG. 3 of them to Ty Law. Manning was destroyed that game. The Colts were depants'd.

10. I found the entirety of the 2004 playoffs anticlimactic compared to the 2003 playoffs, where all 3 games had big drama. The Titans were very close to upsetting the Patriots. The Patriots throttled everyone's favorite Colts team, while the SB was a classic. In contrast, I seemed to forget how in hand the Patriots had the 2004 SB. Never mind the score, the Patriots were simply not threatened by that Eagles team, and yes I realize the last drive could have been disastrous, but somehow that whole game seemed like a slow and patient suffocation of the Eagles.

11. What an incredibly smart player that McGinest was. He had a talent for diagnosing opposing plays.

Yeah every year before the superbowl now (hilarious that I can say that), I go on an absolute binge. Currently have 2014 3 games to glory on

To me sb49 is the best game that occurred in the Brady era. Just an incredible game

Even though I have so many of these moments ingrained in my head by now, I always see something I forgot about or something I hadn’t previously picked up on

Boy does watching these make me feel great going into every Super Bowl. Good thing I just get nervous as hell once the game gets here :)

The crazy thing about SB38 was that all the scoring was packed into the ends of the 2nd and 4th quarters.

It was something like 48 minutes of slugfest and 12 minutes of insanity.

Didn't want to start a new thread, but since we're talking history here...

if they can win the SB tomorrow, Brady will have 30 playoff wins. That will tie him with Montana and Bradshaw with 30. That's Montana and Bradshaw combined who are #2 and #3 with 16 and 14 playoff wins!!! Holy ****.

Brady also has more playoff wins than 27 NFL teams. He can tie the 49ers with 30 tomorrow. He's closing in on the Cowboys, Packers, and Steelers. He seems unlikely to catch one team though -- the Patriots. They are perpetually 7 wins ahead of Brady for some reason.

I did the same thing last year!

Totally agree about 38. I sometimes hear Delhome trashed as the worst QB that the Pats played in a super bowl. I think he played with more intensity and passion than any of the others.

I watched 38 after not seeing it for years and six times I said to myself in the second quarter “OK, now is when they both start scoring, right?”

Last edited:
I did the same thing last year!

Totally agree about 38. I sometimes hear Delhome trashed as the worst QB that the Pats played in a super bowl. I think he played with more intensity and passion than any of the others.
In my opinion, I think it’s fair to say that Jake Delhomme was the worst starting QB they’ve faced in the Super Bowl (Belichick era), apologies to Eli Manning. While at the same time saying that Delhomme had the best performance of any of those QBs, apologies to Nick Foles (who never got touched in the game). The defense completely sold out against the run as they should, as that was the Panther offense that year. They dared Delhomme to beat them with his arm. He almost did.

After reading this thread will probably go and rewatch 38 tonight. Been a long while since I’ve seen that one.

I love every super bowl win, 36 as the ultimate underdogs, the 28-3 game was so improbable. However the Seattle Legion of boom game was tops for me. Beat a team that crushed Denver the year before, to have Brady play the 4th quarter he did was just phenomenal.

Unforgettable. Pretty much all of them for me is something special.

Seems like Delhomme really went off the rails after that?

Philly was definitely the most relaxed Super Bowl, but still close. Man, what I would give for a blow out today.

Brown came back between 2 defenders and high pointed the ball, there was outstanding accuracy by Brady, or perhaps even a bit of a reckless throw since the defender had position and somehow Brown snatched it right out of his hands to convert a crucial 4th down that enabled the Patriots go ahead TD.
That was a pretty ballsy/scary/amazing throw — and catch.

Didn't the OPI against Brown occur on the game winning drive? I re-watched the game a few weeks ago. He got called for OPI. Then the next play made a great play. I think the drive ended with a 3rd and 3 for the Patriots at like the 45 yard line. Brady threw like a 22 yard pass to Branch. They called TO. A.V. kicked the fg. Then Smart was tackled on the return. Pats win. That was a crazy game. The offenses just went crazy at the end of the half.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News