PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Larry Ridley: Zach Thomas visiting Pats on Sunday [UPDATE: Reiss: It's Monday]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would consider ZT only if either Bruschi or Seau retire. If neither of them do, and both return to Foxborough, then there is no room here for ZT.

Per Reiss: Zach Thomas to visit Pats(Just confirmed)

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/reiss_pieces/2008/02/zach_thomas_to.html

Zach Thomas to visit Pats
Posted by Mike Reiss, Globe Staff
February 17, 2008 10:29 PM

Free-agent linebacker Zach Thomas, who was released by the Dolphins last Thursday, is scheduled to visit with Patriots officials at Gillette Stadium on Monday.

The 34-year-old Thomas has played his entire 12-year career with Miami. A seven-time Pro Bowler, he was limited to just five games last season due to concussions and migraines.

The Dolphins are undergoing a rebuilding project under executive vice president of football operations Bill Parcells, general manager Jeff Ireland and head coach Tony Sparano, and with Thomas scheduled to make $5.65 million in 2008, that factored into the team’s decision to release him.

The 5-foot-11, 228-pound Thomas would project as a middle linebacker in the Patriots’ 3-4 alignment.

The NFL Network reported that Thomas has a visit to the Saints scheduled for tomorrow, while the Cowboys, Jets and Bills are also interested in meeting with him.

Re: Per Reiss: Zach Thomas to visit Pats(Just confirmed)

Reiss is that dude, trust me if they want him they won't let him leave.

If I was the Saints, I would write that meeting down in pencil, not pen. :D

Well he wants to play for a winning team....Question is will he pass the physical?????

Well he wants to play for a winning team....Question is will he pass the physical?????

I bet we already know the answer to that.

Isn't Zach's agent Rosenhaus? He's probably already sent Zach to a few medical doctors for exams. I'm sure he'll checked out, or Rosenhaus wouldn't be scheduling all these meetings.

Oh, and I wonder if NE's deciding not to pick up Stallworth's option will have any effect on Rosenhaus' future negotiations with NE?

Re: Larry Ridley: Zach Thomas visiting Pats on Sunday

I love the idea of getting Zach !

I would also see us trade a pick to Miami (our 3rd?) for Jason Taylor !

You are drinking too much joe if you think that. No way we trade a 3rd for a role player ... Taylor is a great player but would be a role player here ... a 3rd ... forget it.

We traded a 2nd for a role player(Wes Welker) last year. Why wouldn't we trade a 2nd for a elite pass rusher with proven leadership and a good character?

Isn't Zach's agent Rosenhaus? He's probably already sent Zach to a few medical doctors for exams. I'm sure he'll checked out, or Rosenhaus wouldn't be scheduling all these meetings.

Oh, and I wonder if NE's deciding not to pick up Stallworth's option will have any effect on Rosenhaus' future negotiations with NE?

i do think so. agents understand the business. he probably knew, although he denied it, that this was a 1 year deal. agents wouldnt hold grudges usually, especially a big name like rosenhaus.

example.... when lance briggs wouldnt sign the franchise tag initially, the bears still drafted a rosenhaus client, greg olson.

When are we going to get young a lb, I like Zach Thomas.. Back in 99...

Taylor is 33 and 255 pounds (15 pounds lighter than Adalius Thomas and 50 pounds lighter than any defensive lineman on the roster). He would not play on the defensive line with the Patriots (you have speed rushers like Taylor in the 4-3 scheme, not the 3-4 scheme) and would have to be converted to a linebacker in the 3-4. That is a fairly risky proposition at his age.

Zach Thomas is about 20 pounds lighter than the other linebackers, but he is shorter with a lower center of gravity and a hard hitter, so he might be able to make up for the weight difference. I would agree with the injury concerns if he is signed, but would love to see him on the team.

Taylor is 33 and 255 pounds (15 pounds lighter than Adalius Thomas and 50 pounds lighter than any defensive lineman on the roster). He would not play on the defensive line with the Patriots (you have speed rushers like Taylor in the 4-3 scheme, not the 3-4 scheme) and would have to be converted to a linebacker in the 3-4. That is a fairly risky proposition at his age.

Zach Thomas is about 20 pounds lighter than the other linebackers, but he is shorter with a lower center of gravity and a hard hitter, so he might be able to make up for the weight difference. I would agree with the injury concerns if he is signed, but would love to see him on the team.

I'd love to see him on the field too. He is as smart as they come and still a tackling machine.

Let's hope he never leaves Foxboro today and that he cancels his scheduled visit to NO tomorrow. How great will it be if we ink him up today?

We traded a 2nd for a role player(Wes Welker) last year. Why wouldn't we trade a 2nd for a elite pass rusher with proven leadership and a good character?

Trading Taylor would kill the Phins salary cap because of his huge bonus.

I know I read that recently.

I beg to differ. Gholston could be an impact OLB as could Calvin Pace, allowing Vrabel to move back inside with Thomas. Are you telling me you wouldnt be comfortable with Gholston or Pace/Colvin on the outside and Vrabel/Thomas on the inside with Seau and or Bruschi subbing in??

I'd say that is pretty solid, without the undersize, old, concussion-prone Thomas

Everyone is caught up in an either-or comparison. For example: Either we sign Z.Thomas, OR we draft a young LB high in the draft. Why can't we do both? The real question is who gets bumped if we do both? Will it be a young guy who hasn't panned out yet beyond maybe ST? or will it be a vet like Bruschi or Seau? (or are those guys even coming back at all?)

I don't see how the move can hurt ... assuming that the coaching staff believes he can play our system effectively.

If he is healthy, fine, he is worth the risk..

Ted Johnson stated it best:

"In the Patriots' system, it would be a lot different. He'd have to take on 320-pound guards, straight on. At this stage of his career and having had some problems with concussions, the question would be if he wanted to do that. When you look at the prototype inside linebacker in the 3-4, think of those old Giants teams with Pepper Johnson and Harry Carson. They were big enough, stout, with great upper body strength, and could disengage blockers. I don't see that as being Zach's style."

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/reiss_pieces/2008/02/tj_on_zach_thom.html

Ted Johnson is from an era that is fading. An era where you could through in two oversized ILBs in a 3-4 scheme and get away with it. Unfortunately, teams now-a-days will eat that up with a mid-range passing scheme that exposes those oversized and slow LBs. Thomas and Bruschi are faster than Johnson ever was and even seau might have more speed despite his age. If the 2001 version of Johnson were playing for us today, we would be talking about how slow he is and how he is a liability in coverage and slow to get to the edge.

I'm not saying that Zach might not be a problem on running downs, but if BB says he has a role for him, than I wouldn't value Ted Johnson's opinion for much. The only thing that worries me is the concussion issues. Bottom line, I trust BB.

Are you proposing that the Patriots trade all their draft picks for established players like the Washington Redskins?

No, I think he is suggesting that we entertain the idea of bringing in a solid veteran for cheap and see if he can help us.

This may or may not impact which players we draft. Remember than we like to fill all our holes prior to the draft so that we have the flexability to draft the best players at the spot, not the some-what best player available who happens to play in the position we are desperate for.

If you target a position or player and you MUST have that player or position, prepare to have to make draft day trades that may not be favorable. Prepare also for the chance that you may miss out altogether and then be screwed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
Back