PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Kraft says that Brady's Contract Isn't being Extended For Now

mgteich

PatsFans.com Veteran
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
1) When asked Kraft has said that we need to start looking to draft a QB sometime soon.

2) Kraft volunteered that both the team and Brady are fine with the contract as it is (ending in 2019).

How does this affect how you think about drafting a quarterback and where to drafted him (or them)?

1) When asked Kraft has said that we need to start looking to draft a QB sometime soon.

2) Kraft volunteered that both the team and Brady are fine with the contract as it is (ending in 2019).

How does this affect how you think about drafting a quarterback and where to drafted him (or them)?

Starting to think that a first round QB is more likely - I wouldn’t trade up a big distance to get one though. Either that or they may get Lauletta at 43 to bank the pick.

The moment they traded Garoppolo the time for new future QB turned into NOW. Nothing anyone says changes that, and what everyone is saying/doing since (most of all keeping Josh) only confirms it.

Of course there's many ways about it and BB is the ultimate out of the box manager. So I wouldn't be shocked to see NE trading up as high as to #2 (Gronk incl.) if there is the QB they see as next franchise QB (off-field, leadership, “face“, Kraft blessing incl.) and NYG f.e. willing .. esp. since next year doesn't seem like franchise QB year.

The economic way would be to draft a QB at the end of 1st (to get 5 year cheap control).

If they can't get the franchise QB this year and are not sold on any of the QBs left in the second part of the 1st round . they can bring in one in later rounds to see what they can develop (Lauletta, White, Woodside etc.) or go for a more ready “bridge“ QB (Falk f.e.) to backup Brady and play until they find their true future (possibly in 2020, 2021 classes).

In all cases (except big trade up) Id expect they bring an UDFA QB as well. Some interesting prospects will fall there and they are doing their homework there as well (Kanoff, McGough..)

The moment they traded Garoppolo the time for new future QB turned into NOW. Nothing anyone says changes that, and what everyone is saying/doing since (most of all keeping Josh) only confirms it.

Of course there's many ways about it and BB is the ultimate out of the box manager. So I wouldn't be shocked to see NE trading up as high as to #2 (Gronk incl.) if there is the QB they see as next franchise QB (off-field, leadership, “face“, Kraft blessing incl.) and NYG f.e. willing .. esp. since next year doesn't seem like franchise QB year.
If they trade any picks to move in first round for picks, that will be stupid and will show how bad move was not to trade Jimmy G earlier when they could get some high first round pick. So basically it would be a swap.
That would surpass the Jordan richards selection move.

Btw, good post

If they trade any picks to move in first round for picks, that will be stupid and will show how bad move was not to trade Jimmy G earlier when they could get some high first round pick. So basically it would be a swap.

Btw, good post
Exactly!
If they felt this was Brady's last year than they should have kept Jimmy G. If Brady is going to continue to be his own advertisement on how to live life than he needs to prove it by playing at a competitive level for at least another 2-3 years.

Josh is here because of Brady. He may have different receivers to throw to but he wants to keep the playbook the same. I'm not convinced that Josh is the heir apparent to Bill.

Btw, good post

Yeah.. but only we have the luxury to operate with hindsight ;)

(no matter how high we value our scouting, predictions, projections etc. - we really don't know **** about players, situations etc. and that includes Richards and Garoppolo; btw: I can see them keeping Richards as core ST and possibly future ST captain - its not the best outcome for the (low) 2nd rounder, but there are plenty of second rounders out of the game without any significant contribution; btw - BB just assembled a WR group of 3 former 1st rounders and a 2nd rounder for peanuts competing for 1-2 jobs).

BB has amazing record of running this one in a century enterprise. Personally I have no trouble with how he handled Garoppolo (if Brady was injured and done same people criticising him now would shout he's a genius). And if he gives up a farm for franchise QB that keeps this Enterprise going (draft, trade or whatever) Id certainly have no trouble with that . although I would prefer more moderate scenarios..

I wouldn't be shocked at all to see them trade up to 8 or 9 if the guy they like falls. This is a deep draft for QBs with some real quality ones in the first round. Looking ahead at the talent projected to come out of college in the next couple of years, I don't see a draft this deep at the position.

If they felt this was Brady's last year than they should have kept Jimmy G....

You left out some very important implications.

to make sense, what you are saying is:

If they felt this was Brady's last year than they should have kept Jimmy G, paid him the required 25 million dollar per year contract, and chose one of the following 2 options:
1) trade Brady
2) create enough salary space by not signing any of our own free agents or any non-minimum salary external free agents, therefore gutting the roster and making 2018 a wasted season.

---
I can't accept either of those necessary consequences, thus I think moving JG was the right choice.

Knowing how cut throat BB is I think he was seriously considering trading the Goat this offseason. Kraft prevented that and now we may have 1 year left with the greatest coach/qb combo of all time.

I’m hoping as kraft said that egos have been put in check and we can keep it going for at least 2 more seasons. I believe they’ll draft a QB at some point but we’re not the Browns. We don’t need to sacrifice this season for the possibility of replacing one position. Granted QB is the most important, but what if Brady does play another 5 years? Then we’re back to the same place we were this past season with a backup QB that we wasted a high draft pick on.

Knowing how cut throat BB is I think he was seriously considering trading the Goat this offseason. Kraft prevented that and now we may have 1 year left with the greatest coach/qb combo of all time.

I’m hoping as kraft said that egos have been put in check and we can keep it going for at least 2 more seasons. I believe they’ll draft a QB at some point but we’re not the Browns. We don’t need to sacrifice this season for the possibility of replacing one position. Granted QB is the most important, but what if Brady does play another 5 years? Then we’re back to the same place we were this past season with a backup QB that we wasted a high draft pick on.

I don’t think Brady will play for five years but I do think the 5th year option* might be important in case he plays for four. Personally I think he’l pack it in after 2019 (where does that put him in terms of records). If he does pack it in after two more years, that means a nice cheap QB contract for three years.

* would it be important enough to take Lauletta for example in the first round?

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back