PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Kraft Needs to Back Mayo With His Wallet

Pape

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
Karen Guregian wrote an interesting article, linked below... I encourage you all to read it...

I agree with this. If there are free agents (ours or theirs) who are worth the investment, pay them... It was disappointing to read that the team wasn't going to try and re-sign Michael Onwenu... We made the huge mistake last year by not retaining Jakobi Meyers... Can't let missed opportunities become the modus operandi under Mayo like it was under BB... That was a cardinal sin by BB - not rewarding his own players for great play... Drove me crazy to see talent walk out the door over minimal dollars when viewed over the full term of their new contracts

A teams willingness to pay players makes them more attractive to free agents... We've had a rough time attracting free agents in part due to the teams fiscal conservitity...

Not saying we have to go out and overspend, but we gotta put some lipstick on the pig at some point... Onwenu & Henry should be first in line...

Onwenu deserves a second contract... We have to break the chain of not rewarding our home grown talent... Henry deserves a new deal... He's stepped up into a leadership role, and has put forth tremendous effort on the field (why some of you are dismissive of his game is beyond me), more than enough to warrant a new deal...

Time to hit it in free agency... We don't have the luxury of picking over the remains of day three in free agency looking for the diamond in the rough...

And in order to do that, Kraft does indeed have to "open his wallet"

Time for the Patriots Organization to be players, not wallflowers

Karen Guregian wrote an interesting article, linked below... I encourage you all to read it...

I agree with this. If there are free agents (ours or theirs) who are worth the investment, pay them... It was disappointing to read that the team wasn't going to try and re-sign Michael Onwenu... We made the huge mistake last year by not retaining Jakobi Meyers... Can't let missed opportunities become the modus operandi under Mayo like it was under BB... That was a cardinal sin by BB - not rewarding his own players for great play... Drove me crazy to see talent walk out the door over minimal dollars when viewed over the full term of their new contracts

A teams willingness to pay players makes them more attractive to free agents... We've had a rough time attracting free agents in part due to the teams fiscal conservitity...

Not saying we have to go out and overspend, but we gotta put some lipstick on the pig at some point... Onwenu & Henry should be first in line...

Onwenu deserves a second contract... We have to break the chain of not rewarding our home grown talent... Henry deserves a new deal... He's stepped up into a leadership role, and has put forth tremendous effort on the field (why some of you are dismissive of his game is beyond me), more than enough to warrant a new deal...

Time to hit it in free agency... We don't have the luxury of picking over the remains of day three in free agency looking for the diamond in the rough...

Actually an excellent article by Guregian - really good job.

We'll know all we need to know about 2024 way before the draft takes place.

Bingo.
Player$ and coache$.
Shuffling ceos and hr types already in his employ mean nothing on the field. Thunder Squirters, ACTIVATE!

Was there any doubt we are gonna spend huge this year?
There wasn't. Even with cheapskate Bill here. But BB was an economics guy that incorporated that angle into team building. Mayo may have a vision but I suppose that the money stuff will be out of his hands. I could be wrong but he has already had a corporate barnacle attached to his ass.

Same as the Red Sox you need to be successful within the budget laid out for you. Hopefully the Kraft's open up their wallet but either way it's not an excuse many are even going to be aware of.

Same as the Red Sox you need to be successful within the budget laid out for you. Hopefully the Kraft's open up their wallet but either way it's not an excuse many are even going to be aware of.
True, except in one respect, the NFL has a salary cap, so every signing is documented and scrutinized.

And the Red Sox even having a budget is ridiculous, for the record.

True, except in one respect, the NFL has a salary cap, so every signing is documented and scrutinized.

And the Red Sox even having a budget is ridiculous, for the record.
We all know the NFL salary cap can be manipulated. Obviously not as bad as no cap but still an owner is going to set his budget for his own profits and you have to work around it.

And yes what the Red Sox are doing is sad but it's still a rather large budget that they've butchered since the owners tightened up.

We all know the NFL salary cap can be manipulated. Obviously not as bad as no cap but still an owner is going to set his budget for his own profits and you have to work around it.

And yes what the Red Sox are doing is sad but it's still a rather large budget that they've butchered since the owners tightened up.
And what the owner sets as their budget is proportional to their actual commitment to winning.
Can you win with less? Sure, but it's a hell of a lot harder.

If we start the season with a cap of somewhere around 200 million, and not 224 million, we'll know where Kraft's loyalties actually lie these days.

One tiny moan: Jakobi wasn’t a lack of money; they gave the same amount to Juju. Otherwise, I mostly agree with this take, especially on coaches and key players who have been developed (Onwenu).

It would be great if he saddles his franchise with no weapons again.
How would you like Marv Harrison Jr? Should he wear 88 like his Pappy?

There will be weapons for Corky Mac. Money for his piggy bank too.
He can own the fact that he's the one who lost Bill and Tom.
Not his fault. Kraft did not ask for the impasse between Brady and BB.

If BK kept Brady, BB was gone.

The problem with FA this year is there is little reason for FAs to come here, other than money.

The top FAs are mostly on the D side, those guys used to come because BB was here.

People are taking about Kirk and Tee, but why would a older QB come here when we have no line or high end weapons? Why would Tee come when we have no QB?

Two of three top tackles are our tackles from the most recent season, we aren't fixing the line the line either

Where are we spending money this off season?

I haven't read the article yet, but I hope it is a out signing the few players on the team that deserve it.

Absolutely positively 100% agreed. The days of business as usual have to be done and over with. This era of the patriots needs to get with the times. Retain home grown guys, I know you can't keep everyone, but key guys should be retained. Even if using the tag on Onwenu keeps him, we need to Absolutely do everything we can. He's one of the best lineman in the NFL. So.
Bill is no longer here let's see if anything really changes with FA.

Hear hear!

It's not like Bob can't afford it.

Maybe he could offer cupcakes.

One tiny moan: Jakobi wasn’t a lack of money; they gave the same amount to Juju. Otherwise, I mostly agree with this take, especially on coaches and key players who have been developed (Onwenu).
Agreed. It wasn't a lack of money.

Worse. It was an unwillingness to spend the money (on him). That philosophy needs to change.

The problem with FA this year is there is little reason for FAs to come here, other than money.

The top FAs are mostly on the D side, those guys used to come because BB was here.

People are taking about Kirk and Tee, but why would a older QB come here when we have no line or high end weapons? Why would Tee come when we have no QB?

Two of three top tackles are our tackles from the most recent season, we aren't fixing the line the line either

Where are we spending money this off season?

I haven't read the article yet, but I hope it is a out signing the few players on the team that deserve it.
Its not a call to spend willy-nilly...

it is a call to spend money on quality players if/when they become available.

How would you like Marv Harrison Jr? Should he wear 88 like his Pappy?

There will be weapons for Corky Mac. Money for his piggy bank too.

Not his fault. Kraft did not ask for the impasse between Brady and BB.

If BK kept Brady, BB was gone.

Buck stops with the boss. It's always gonna be his fault.

Especially this incoming season.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back