PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Kraft acknowledges drafting woes, says approach is changing

In 42 games with the Patriots Sony has averaged...

14.8 carries per game
64yds per game
4.3 per carry
.48 TDs per game

Those numbers are perfectly respectable for a late 1st rd draft pick.

except Chubb looks like a 10 year all pro with 1500 yard 15 TD seasons. And he came from the same backfield we scouted heavily...we missed on a super talent to take a JAG

not true about Michel being ahead of him
Kiper and McShay did mocks close to the draft. Kiper had Michel going 20th overall, McShay had Michel going 49th overall. Neither of them had Chubb going in the first two rounds.

Mayock had Michel as his 32nd overall prospect, and Chubb as his 36th overall.

Matt Miller had Michel as 33rd in his top 50, and didn’t rank Chubb on the list.

I don’t put much stock in Walterfootball, but if you do, he had Michel 22nd overall and Chubb 34th overall. There’s probably more but you get the point.

Last edited:
Michel wasn’t exactly a scrub in College. But Cunningham over Dunlap was way worse. Totally unacceptable.

Chubb had questions regarding catching out of the backfield as teams or media are putting way too much stock into. I think Bill wanted a guy who could catch and run like Kamara which Michel looked like in College. Unfortunately for us, Chubb is that guy and Michel isn’t which I put some blame on McDaniels.

i have a source that states Meyer invited BB over to promote Dunlap. During film session, Meyer kept trying to show off film of Dunlap to BB and BB would interrupt Meyer tell him to rewind the tape then ask questions about the other D lineman Cunningham. Ugh

except Chubb looks like a 10 year all pro with 1500 yard 15 TD seasons. And he came from the same backfield we scouted heavily...we missed on a super talent to take a JAG
We all know you have a chubby for Chubb.

I analyze the players chosen not the ones the team didn't.

Michel wasn’t exactly a scrub in College. But Cunningham over Dunlap was way worse. Totally unacceptable.

Chubb had questions regarding catching out of the backfield as teams or media are putting way too much stock into. I think Bill wanted a guy who could catch and run like Kamara which Michel looked like in College. Unfortunately for us, Chubb is that guy and Michel isn’t which I put some blame on McDaniels.

you blame McDaniels for Michel running slower than a turtle on film while Chubb runs like a cheetah?

We all know you have a chubby for Chubb.

I analyze the players chosen not the ones the team didn't.

the problem i have is our pro scouts heavily scouted the Georgia backfield for many hours and didn’t notice the wide gap in talent between the two backs

chubbs speed always stood out on film. What stood out about michel?

Go look at that year's draft thread, or some of the after draft threads. People here use the word hindsight as an umbrella term, but that's not how the word works.
Hindsight, revisionist history, whatever you want to call it. Pretending that Chubb was the consensus choice over Michel is disingenuous on your part.

Respectfully, if your only rebuttal is that there were posters on Patsfans that rated Chubb higher, because you can’t find examples of it by draft pundits in the media, then you’ve made my case for me.

the problem i have is our pro scouts heavily scouted the Georgia backfield for many hours and didn’t notice the wide gap in talent between the two backs

chubbs speed always stood out on film. What stood out about michel?
Sony didn't exactly have a sack of potatoes on his back. You are glorifying Chubb at GA when both he and Sony had injury concerns coming out and both ran 4.5s at the combine.

Get over it. Sony carried them to a Super Bowl and Chubb has won nothing

Jennings and rohrwasser were poor picks, Asiasi isn’t looking great either. Uche, Onwenu, and Dugger could all be special

Long way to go to issue a ruling on Jennings or Asiasi. Rohrwasser was galactically stupid and the moment that pick was made I was like WT actual F? Of course, that wasn't a hard-to-make response, as that was pretty much everyone's response.

I'm not sure what you mean.

When the Owner comes out and says the draft hasn't been good recently, that argument is over.

Well let's be honest: Kraft's judgment hasn't always been the best recently.

In 42 games with the Patriots Sony has averaged...

14.8 carries per game
64yds per game
4.3 per carry
.48 TDs per game

Those numbers are perfectly respectable for a late 1st rd draft pick.
But that means you can't be all whiny and butthurt about what we did almost three years ago...

you blame McDaniels for Michel running slower than a turtle on film while Chubb runs like a cheetah?
I blame him for not involving him in the passing game. But honestly, I think the dual back is overrated as there aren't many. One dimensional backs have been doing fine for many years.
Chubb has won nothing
Chubb hasn't had the opportunity like Michel.
chubb saw stacked boxes the most in college while Sony barely saw them
I remember that was one of the red flags on Michel but was the major red flag on Maroney. I remember the draft analysis was how Maroney was running through the Grand Canyon quite often.

But that means you can't be all whiny and butthurt about what we did almost three years ago...
When Sony Michel was out there making history, setting the NFL rookie record for rushing touchdowns in a playoff season with 6, and 2 yards shy of Jamal Lewis’ rookie yards record, all while playing 1 less game than Lewis...all I could think of was, “Damn, I wish we had drafted Nick Chubb instead.”

Fair play, Chubb will get your fantasy team more points than Michel, which is where a lot of this animosity comes from. But at least in my opinion, Michel was worth it for his rookie campaign alone. We weren’t going to get that type of production out of Mike Gillislee, that’s for certain.

Sony Michel actually had more receiving yards per game than Chubb in 2020 :D
Chubb has twice as many for his career. He blows Michel out of every category.

I am curious to understand what Orchids of Bob implied when he said he was encouraged with the changes in their approach to the draft.
Idk, but with Fat Matt there, pretty sure one of the changes will consist of a minimum of six meat lover pizzas and a bucket of ice cream in the war room.

Chubb just explodes through holes with incredible speed while Sony runs in slow motion through them...

kraft finally Acknowledged BBs drafting blunders and hopefully we start taking the better athletes with explosive speed!
Yeah Michel needs to be a little more decisive like Harris and just explode though the hole. He also needs to get better at bouncing it to the outside and turning corners. In 2019, he took forever to get to the outside but 2020 looked a little better. With that being said, I think Harris and him will be a fine duo if they can both stay healthy.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back