PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Kirk Cousins on KJ Osborn

Hopefully Wolf and the collaborative do their jobs in the draft and remaining offseason.
They will.. getting the QB is the number 1 priority to get BBs 32nd ranked offense back to mediocre.

This team still desperately needs a number one receiver but I don’t hate the corp lining up behind one (if it happens) and you at least have the semblance of a legitimate offense in the making

For my own edification, please tell me the difference between a 2 and a 3?

And what distinctly makes a #1? To this day nobody has been able to give me an answer.
A #1 is that guy who just having on your roster guarantees you sweep every fantasy football matchup with an average margin of victory exceeding thirty points.
Wes Welker was #2 - Edelman morphed into a #2 - Troy Brown was a #3 yeah theirs is a difference. Welker and Edelman were walking First Downs. I am sure you Remember Randy Moss even before he came here he was a True #1 who Open things up for the others.
Randy Moss is always the example given. Moss was a freak. A generational talent. If Randy is the definition of a #1 most years there is no #1 in the league.
I'll say this all those players keep DC's up at night drinking strong coffee ☕ and eating pizza. I want one of those guys for us.
# 1.. a guy DCs have to alter thier game plans for.. who requires double coverage all game long. Who has to constantly have the DCs attention every snap..

#2.. a guy who takes pressure off said #1 that can get favorable match ups or either commands that teams 2nd best CB.. who can also beat you deep

#3.. a guy who probably is in the best situation.. who will likely have match ups..mostly against 3rd and 4th CBs and safeties and will be able to have production in intermediate routes, seam routes and underneath..

Just my opinions..
Depends, if you have Gilmore or Law and a pass rush… those guys scare you a lot less.

Football is about matchups, not imaginary rankings based on who knows what.

BB didn’t use Gilmore on Tyreek, he used Jon Jones. There’s a tool for every job.
^THIS^
A #1 is the guy everybody loses sleep over. At most there are a handful of them in the league any given year. There are two ways to stop them: put your lockdown corner on them, or double them. Problem is, there aren’t a lot of true lockdown corners either, in fact they are just as scarce as true #1 WRs. You have to match up what you have against what they have.

And just as there are two ways of stopping a #1, there are two ways of constructing a winning WR corp. One is to get that elusive #1 but there aren’t enough of them to go around. Other is to have several almost #1s so that someone can get open even if it’s not always the same guy. That’s especially good with a QB who can find the open guy. That was BB’s recipe Before Moss, and it worked pretty well. If we can find the right QB that may turn out to be a winning strategy with KJ and KB and Pop plus the TEs and RBs.

A #1 is that guy who just having on your roster guarantees you sweep every fantasy football matchup with an average margin of victory exceeding thirty points.

Randy Moss is always the example given. Moss was a freak. A generational talent. If Randy is the definition of a #1 most years there is no #1 in the league.

^THIS^
A #1 is the guy everybody loses sleep over. At most there are a handful of them in the league any given year. There are two ways to stop them: put your lockdown corner on them, or double them. Problem is, there aren’t a lot of true lockdown corners either, in fact they are just as scarce as true #1 WRs. You have to match up what you have against what they have.

And just as there are two ways of stopping a #1, there are two ways of constructing a winning WR corp. One is to get that elusive #1 but there aren’t enough of them to go around. Other is to have several almost #1s so that someone can get open even if it’s not always the same guy. That’s especially good with a QB who can find the open guy. That was BB’s recipe Before Moss, and it worked pretty well. If we can find the right QB that may turn out to be a winning strategy with KJ and KB and Pop plus the TEs and RBs.
And we have a young lockdown CB.. who's was rated 3rd best in the league heading into week 4 against Dallas. Agreed with all of that. Well put!

This team still desperately needs a number one receiver but I don’t hate the corp lining up behind one (if it happens) and you at least have the semblance of a legitimate offense in the making
If you just imagine in your mind that they acquire a guy capable of being the “number 1 guy”, then look at the offense from that lens:

- imaginary #1
- Bourne or Osborn #2
- Pop or Juju #3 / slot
- Thornton, Reagor, Boutte in reserves
- Marcus Jones for gadget plays

That’s a pretty nice group IMO. Pair that with two good receiving TEs in Henry and Hooper, and an actual receiving back in Gibson, and you’re in a good spot. In the off chance your #1 is injured, Bourne and Osborn both have the flexibility to step up and be your top target and play most roles. They won’t be as effective obviously but you can get the job done and you’re not calling street free agents in desperation.

I don’t think there’s any chance they carry 8 WRs so some of these guys won’t make the roster (perhaps Boutte gets a suspension for his gambling issue and has a roster exemption to start the year) but, overall I do think it has the makings of a good group IF they add at the top. Otherwise, it’s pedestrian, but maybe capable of around .500 with a highly drafted QB who plays quickly and pans out.

If you just imagine in your mind that they acquire a guy capable of being the “number 1 guy”, then look at the offense from that lens:

- imaginary #1
- Bourne or Osborn #2
- Pop or Juju #3 / slot
- Thornton, Reagor, Boutte in reserves
- Marcus Jones for gadget plays

That’s a pretty nice group IMO. Pair that with two good receiving TEs in Henry and Hooper, and an actual receiving back in Gibson, and you’re in a good spot. In the off chance your #1 is injured, Bourne and Osborn both have the flexibility to step up and be your top target and play most roles. They won’t be as effective obviously but you can get the job done and you’re not calling street free agents in desperation.

I don’t think there’s any chance they carry 8 WRs so some of these guys won’t make the roster (perhaps Boutte gets a suspension for his gambling issue and has a roster exemption to start the year) but, overall I do think it has the makings of a good group IF they add at the top. Otherwise, it’s pedestrian, but maybe capable of around .500 with a highly drafted QB who plays quickly and pans out.
I think you are underestimating the potential without filling your imaginary top slot. I believe both KJ and KB have upside potential that they have yet to realize, and having the two of them on the field together can elevate both of them. Basically I see each of them as more than a 2, more like a 1.5, and the calculus works out that whichever one the defense focuses on will be the 2 for that game and the one the defense doesn’t pay as much attention to will step up as the 1 for that game. But that will change not just game to game, also play to play. I expect each of them will have good but not great numbers, and together they’ll be more than the sum of their individual results. Pop and Juju will also benefit just not as obviously.

There will still be much proclaiming that the Patriots need a #1 WR. I don’t think the Patriots need a 1 if they have a pair of 1.5s elevating each other as I describe. It’s the Fantasy Football “fans” that need the 1 WR so they can stack their lineup cards, having two players combine for good numbers might win on the field in the NFL but it won’t in Fantasyland.

And we have a young lockdown CB.. who's was rated 3rd best in the league heading into week 4 against Dallas. Agreed with all of that. Well put!
And Gilmore is still on the market. I think he still has enough left in the tank to be a great addition for the coming year. Show the youngster how it’s done.

And Gilmore is still on the market. I think he still has enough left in the tank to be a great addition for the coming year. Show the youngster how it’s done.
He is.. I've heard that's he's open to returning here to play for Mayo he's told people close to him. He said he credits the organization for allowing him to become a better player. He absolutely should be seriously looked into.

I'm sure McCarthy would Be learning alot from him in training camp if he re-signed!! LOL..

I think you are underestimating the potential without filling your imaginary top slot. I believe both KJ and KB have upside potential that they have yet to realize, and having the two of them on the field together can elevate both of them. Basically I see each of them as more than a 2, more like a 1.5, and the calculus works out that whichever one the defense focuses on will be the 2 for that game and the one the defense doesn’t pay as much attention to will step up as the 1 for that game. But that will change not just game to game, also play to play. I expect each of them will have good but not great numbers, and together they’ll be more than the sum of their individual results. Pop and Juju will also benefit just not as obviously.

There will still be much proclaiming that the Patriots need a #1 WR. I don’t think the Patriots need a 1 if they have a pair of 1.5s elevating each other as I describe. It’s the Fantasy Football “fans” that need the 1 WR so they can stack their lineup cards, having two players combine for good numbers might win on the field in the NFL but it won’t in Fantasyland.
Yeah, I mean I think I'm still giving them credit by saying that those guys without an addition is pedestrian. Didn't say they'd be bad. They're good enough to go .500 if the QB is decent. I suppose maybe they COULD be even better than that but I don't feel like it's super likely. Regardless I do believe they will add to this group and cut from this group so don't want to make too many judgments yet.

Yeah, I mean I think I'm still giving them credit by saying that those guys without an addition is pedestrian. Didn't say they'd be bad. They're good enough to go .500 if the QB is decent. I suppose maybe they COULD be even better than that but I don't feel like it's super likely. Regardless I do believe they will add to this group and cut from this group so don't want to make too many judgments yet.
To me that seems like damning with faint praise. You’re a pretty level headed observer, we often see things similarly. But this time I am much more optimistic about them possibly realizing upside potential I think remains for them both.

OTOH I’m looking at your list of Thornton, Reagor, and Boutte with much less optimism. I think Thornton’s window is closing fast if not already shut. Once guys have been in the league a year or two I expect they’ll continue on whatever trajectory they’ve established. Thats why I think KJ and KB will continue to improve, as they have so far. Bourne is getting old enough he may’ve topped out but with the injury and the Patriots’ offensive cluster**** impeding his development last few years he may still have room to grow. TT hasn’t shown much improvement so far, so I expect more of the same from him. Could say the same about Boutte but he’s had one less year of not showing much so I think he’s got a chance to turn it around. Reagor gets the benefit of having joined the team last year so this year will show how the change of scenery affected him. Overall out of those three I expect one or at most two to stick around, and I’d be happy if all of them were supplanted by better acquisitions.

To me that seems like damning with faint praise. You’re a pretty level headed observer, we often see things similarly. But this time I am much more optimistic about them possibly realizing upside potential I think remains for them both.

OTOH I’m looking at your list of Thornton, Reagor, and Boutte with much less optimism. .
imaginary #1, perhaps by trade before the deadline
Bourne
Osborne
Douglas
Schuster
a draftee
==========
That's 5-6

Maybe one of Reagor, Thornton and Boutte will step up, perhaps not.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back