PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Kirk Cousins on KJ Osborn

Bourne had a career high 800 and 5 TDs in his first year in NE with a rookie Mac as his QB. He too was playing third fiddle to Samuel and Aiyuk in SF, so I'm hoping Osborn can make a similar leap this year. Having a ~800 yard version of Osborn, with Douglas, Bourne, Henry, and Gibson is at least enough to properly evaluate the rookie QB we take at 3 (assuming they use 34 to solidify the OL and get it up to a satisfactory state).

Sounds great but the kid got an awful lot of targets for mediocre production. One season he got 90 targets for 60 receptions 650 yards and 5 TD's. Not impressive by any stretch of the imagination.

That's not that bad at all actually. That's a 66.7% completion percentage. For reference, if a QB completed passes to all his targets as efficiently as that, he'd finish 11th in the league in Comp%, right behind Burrow at 10 (66.8) and just ahead of Josh Allen (66.5). Yards per reception is low (just under 11), but ranked him in the mid 70's, so a typical WR3 area.

KJ Osborn is a good WR, a very good #2, did the Pats sign him for only 1 year?

I like Osborn, think it was a good add. My concern is just that I think he's a Z that can play slot, Bourne is a Z that can play slot, Douglas is a pure slot. Juju, if his knee is ok to where he can contribute at all, is a slot that can play Z. Thornton right now is a bust, but if he ever did turn it around then he'd profile as a Z. We just have no X receiver. So for the one outside guy they bring in, not sure he was the best fit. BUT, I'd rather a decent player being miscast as an X receiver than someone who has the physical profile but just isn't very good like Parker last year.

KJ Osborn is a good WR, a very good #2, did the Pats sign him for only 1 year?
yes. 1 year, 3.96 million, 2 million dollar signing bonus, 1.18m base salary, 680k per game roster bonus, 140k workout bonus... per otc

yes. 1 year, 3.96 million, 2 million dollar signing bonus, 1.18m base salary, 680k per game roster bonus, 140k workout bonus... per otc

I thought he would get more than that, pretty cheap, 2 or 3 year contract wouldn't hurt, then the guy plays well and leaves, very Belicheckian signing.

I thought he would get more than that, pretty cheap, 2 or 3 year contract wouldn't hurt, then the guy plays well and leaves, very Belicheckian signing.

Most likely the player saw it as a "prove it" low ball contract and did not want to take a low ball contract for more than one year. I think you meant "very Kraftian signing". BB is gone and the same GM approach presists.

Just because The Man isn't in the building anymore doesn't mean his presence isn't still felt

Last edited:

I like KJ, and all things considered I think we're lucky to have gotten him given our current QB situation. I like him to be a starter this season. KJ, KB, pop, are the 3 starting WRs IMO..

I like KJ, and all things considered I think we're lucky to have gotten him given our current QB situation. I like him to be a starter this season. KJ, KB, pop, are the 3 starting WRs IMO..
they would have to be... JJSS needs to prove it before he gets any benefit of the doubt... did he have knee problems last year? who knows for sure... but hes not getting the benefit of the doubt, least by me... needs to earn his game time

Bourne had a career high 800 and 5 TDs in his first year in NE with a rookie Mac as his QB. He too was playing third fiddle to Samuel and Aiyuk in SF, so I'm hoping Osborn can make a similar leap this year. Having a ~800 yard version of Osborn, with Douglas, Bourne, Henry, and Gibson is at least enough to properly evaluate the rookie QB we take at 3 (assuming they use 34 to solidify the OL and get it up to a satisfactory state).
Osbourne?

Based on next year's projected wr free agency class, if he is having a good season, I think he would be amenable to an extension... He got left out in the cold this year with a lackluster free agent class, next year would be more of the same, if not worse, for him... As it stands, he isn't a high value target

Last edited:
they would have to be... JJSS needs to prove it before he gets any benefit of the doubt... did he have knee problems last year? who knows for sure... but hes not getting the benefit of the doubt, least by me... needs to earn his game time
Agreed, juju admitted as such himself. He was still on rehab during last off season when we signed him. I personally feel he's still a good player just injuries have slowed him. So we'll see if he has any burst left if not I can see a release with an injury settlement or a trade for those coveted 6th round picks. However I would like to see him on this team he's good enough to be starting.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back