PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

King: "Like Father, Like Estranged Son"

Status
Not open for further replies.

SVN

PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club
Reaction score
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/peter_king/08/17/august/3.html

somewhat funny considering that nugent missed the game tying FG in the actual preseason game :)
7. I think this would be a good category for MMQB: Like Father, Like Estranged Son Dept. And this would be my first entry: On Wednesday, Belichick told his players he would cancel night meetings and waive curfew if nose tackle Vince Wilfork caught a punt while holding a football in either arm. Wilfork caught the punt, and the players, smelling freedom, went wild. On Thursday, New York Jets coach Eric Mangini told his players he would cancel night meetings and waive curfew if kicker Mike Nugent made a 53-yard field goal. Nugent made the field goal, and the players, smelling freedom, went wild.

8. I think I wonder where Mangini learned that one.

Last edited:
Re: King:"Like Father, Like Estranged Son"

I remember Parcells doing something similar with his kickers here in Dallas, and correct me if I'm wrong but I think Belichick has done it as well. Give the team a prize (No sprints, Practice off the next day, etc) if a kicker hits a field goal so that the entire team is depending on them. Seems like as good of a way to simulate a game-like pressure situation for the kicker.

I remember Parcells doing something similar with his kickers here in Dallas, and correct me if I'm wrong but I think Belichick has done it as well. Give the team a prize (No sprints, Practice off the next day, etc) if a kicker hits a field goal so that the entire team is depending on them. Seems like as good of a way to simulate a game-like pressure situation for the kicker.

He did that with Gostkowski his rookie season. The result is my sig picture. :)

Doing it with Nugent now . . . as above, "imaginative." :p

Wilfork successfully fielded a punt while cradling a football in one arm? That sounds hard for a seasoned punt returner, let alone a NT. That's impressive.

Regards,
Chris

There is not an original thought in Mantitty's brain. Credit his first year success with the Jet's to the stolen laptop he pilfered out of Gillette containing the entire Patriots data base. Year 2, a year on his own....not so good.

They should have had Favre try and catch a punt while holding 2 footballs.........that would be fun to watch! Why can't Manjudas have some creativity?

Wilfork successfully fielded a punt while cradling a football in one arm? That sounds hard for a seasoned punt returner, let alone a NT. That's impressive.

Regards,
Chris
I thought he was holding 2 footballs...

Interesting analogy by King. Along those lines, how about Marcus Aurelius and Commodus?

I'll go out on a limb and say that Wilfork is the finest punt returner in the league, 300 lb+ division.

I'll go out on a limb and say that Wilfork is the finest punt returner in the league, 300 lb+ division.

He must be pretty athletic, well, that's a glimpse at the obvious, but consider, the punt probably went 50 yards in the air, probably didn't come straight at him, wind factors, etc. Big Vince had to gauge speed and distance and manuever all 300+ lbs of himself under the ball for the catch. And then catch it......I for one am impressed,:p

They should have had Favre try and catch a punt while holding 2 footballs.........that would be fun to watch! Why can't Manjudas have some creativity?

They should have Favre turn down all media interviews for a week. That would be a real challenge for the media whore.

I thought he was holding 2 footballs...
I read "holding a football in either arm" as he held one football, but it was up to him which arm to hold it in. If it said "holding a football in each arm", then I would have thought it was 2 footballs. I'm going off of only what this article says so maybe I'm wrong.

Edit: I guess it was 2 footballs as reported by Reiss. :bricks: Damn, even more impressive.

Regards,
Chris

Last edited:

I remember a high school football coach doing it 15 years ago...maybe the situational "gotta make it" changes but goofy "put it all on one guy and you all win" games have been around for a while, chances are none of the above invented it...

Interesting analogy by King. Along those lines, how about Marcus Aurelius and Commodus?

Nah...Commodus was looking at M Aurelius when he murdered him.

Ratgini stabs them in the back,in front of their children.......while holding Rosary beads and praying for World peace.

.......p.s....I really,really don't like the guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes