PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Kickoff rule (13 seconds left in the game)

A couple problems with all this is that Tyreek Hill was the one returning the kick and if you pooch or squib it short, he can get it to the 40-45 in a hurry, like 4 seconds off the clock. And from the 45, Mahomes can get it to the 40.

On the hold, that's what I would have done BUT what happens if the refs don't call it? Let's say you have 2 people on Tyreek, you grabbed him and take him out of the play. No call. And--it's a free play. The QB can chuck it. I would still do it because of winding the time down BUT there are problems with the play.
Benefit of a squib kick is that you often end up with someone other than the returner fielding the kick. Maybe they lateral it back to Hill, but then even more time runs off the clock.

Last edited:
Benefit of a squib kick is that you often end up with someone other than the returner fielding the kick. Maybe they lateral it back to Hill, but then even more time runs off the clock.
If that happens though, the player is upfield and falls on it, no time left off the clock. Let's say he get it at the 30. 12 seconds left.

That was my thought at first, but a quick re-viewing (frickin masochist that I am assuming it's the 2007 Pats Giants SB we're talking about) showed they had 3 timeouts left. That last drive is probably used as an NFL case study for what not to do in that situation.
Yowza, you're right on that. of course, Russ Hochstein letting Alford thru ;(

Every team need to rethink about situational football awareness after this debacle.

Like Dan Connolly?

If that happens though, the player is upfield and falls on it, no time left off the clock. Let's say he get it at the 30. 12 seconds left.
Yes, that can happen. Most likely though if done even reasonably well they get the ball between the 20 and 30 an an additional 5-6 seconds come off the clock.

The Bills should have kicked off short and taken time off the clock. Anything else is a failure by the HC. If Bill did what McDermott did (he wouldn't) I'd be livid.

Speaking of kicks, I haven't checked the stats but it seems like kickers are hitting kicks longer and more accurately than ever before.

On a squib kick, doesn't the clock start once the ball touches the ground? I would think that the best play would have been to squib it hard up the middle of the field and run at least 5 seconds off the clock.

A touchback was fine. No team should get into field goal range within 13 seconds starting at the 25. Not even the 2007 Pats could do it.
Oh C'mon I do that in Madden all the time.:)

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Back