PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Keys to victory: Chargers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Redman443

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Offense: I think we need to pound the rock. Run it down their throat like the rams did to the cowboys tonight. Gus Bradley will have to come up with a different gameplan for Brady than he had for Lamar Jackson. Jackson is not a proflific passer. I heard they liked to use seven DB packages which worked against Jackson but apparently won’t work as well against Brady. It’s important to get burkhead and white involved in the passing game if they take away the middle of the field.

Defense: we haven’t been able to significantly limit the run this year. Giving up a 5 yard run here or there is fine but it’s inexcuable to give up 15 yard runs every other play. Need to get pressure on rivers but that doesn’t always mean a sack. Should put Gilmore on Keenan Allen and JC Jackson on Mike Williams.

I'd like to see the following more (regardless of opponent):

Motioning from Patterson. He should frequently be running behind Brady as a threat to run a sweep at the snap. It's not like you're wasting his receiving skills if he's just a decoy.

White and Burkhead in at the same time. One can lineup in the slot and the other as the shotgun back.

I think the Patriots need to maximize their impact players. The less we see of Hogan and Dorsett out wide, the better. They aren't getting the ball, so what's the point?

I'd like to see the following more (regardless of opponent):

Motioning from Patterson. He should frequently be running behind Brady as a threat to run a sweep at the snap. It's not like you're wasting his receiving skills if he's just a decoy.

White and Burkhead in at the same time. One can lineup in the slot and the other as the shotgun back.

I think the Patriots need to maximize their impact players. The less we see of Hogan and Dorsett out wide, the better. They aren't getting the ball, so what's the point?

We should also be more creative when white is in the game. It makes us predictable, when Michel is in, it’s a run but when it’s white, it’s a pass. Hogan needs to be more productive. He’s been pedestrian most of the season.

I suspect McD is going to open up the playbook and surprise everyone, especially the Chargers.

Need to run the ball effectively. Pound the rock.

If the quarterback who has all the answers to the test and the greatest tight end "to ever play" play up to their billing and the greatest coach of all time coaches to his ability, and the Patriots don't turn it over and you're at home in the cold vs a team playing it's 2d east coast road trip in 2 wks, the Pats shouldn't lose, no?

If the quarterback who has all the answers to the test and the greatest tight end "to ever play" play up to their billing and the greatest coach of all time coaches to his ability, and the Patriots don't turn it over and you're at home in the cold vs a team playing it's 2d east coast road trip in 2 wks, the Pats shouldn't lose, no?
Of course they shouldn’t lose if all of that stuff happens, but it’s a game so there are still factors that you can’t predict.

We also need to keep in mind that Belichick and Brady have still lost 1/4 of their games over the years, and that’s just generally speaking, without taking the opponent’s talent level into consideration. LA is a pretty good team. We’re lucky that they were forced to play back to back East coast games at 1:00.

And finally, anyone claiming that Gronk is the goat TE is silly. He was on the right path and could’ve held that title in another several years or so, but as it stands right now, he’s only top 5. No one should ever claim that Rob Gronkowski was the best TE to ever play the game. He had a shot at being that guy, but still had a long way to go. Unfortunately, it doesn’t look like that’s going to happen.

Of course they shouldn’t lose if all of that stuff happens, but it’s a game so there are still factors that you can’t predict.

We also need to keep in mind that Belichick and Brady have still lost 1/4 of their games over the years, and that’s just generally speaking, without taking the opponent’s talent level into consideration. LA is a pretty good team. We’re lucky that they were forced to play back to back East coast games at 1:00.

And finally, anyone claiming that Gronk is the goat TE is silly. He was on the right path and could’ve held that title in another several years or so, but as it stands right now, he’s only top 5. No one should ever claim that Rob Gronkowski was the best TE to ever play the game. He had a shot at being that guy, but still had a long way to go. Unfortunately, it doesn’t look like that’s going to happen.
I looked at film from SB 49. Gronk was much faster

Here are the 5 keys to victory.

#1 Win the battle of our CB vs their WRs. I can't stress enough how important this is. It they are pretty much an entirely WR based offense at this point. Slow that down and their offense can't sustain anything.

#2 Pass to your RBs.... A lot. I mean... A LOT. They are bad at defending it and nothing counters a pass rush like getting the ball out quick.

#3 Run the hurry up. They haven't used it enough this year and it gets Brady going. This is the time to use it.

#4 Blitz and bring pressure. This is a team you need to take it from. Their offensive line is suspect. We need to test it. Rushing 4 and not getting there is not acceptable. It's okay to go man and bring pressure. We are a good man team and Rivers has issues with facing it. We need to attack where they are weak and not play scared.

#5 Our 2nd level players need to win. They have the better stars but the Patriots have the better depth. I don't expect us to win being Bosa, James and the like. We need to beat their 2nd tier guys with our 2nd tier guys. They are better and they need to make the Chargers lose the other battles. When Patterson is on some scrub CB or running an end around in the flat vs some scrub LB he needs to win that match up.

I looked at film from SB 49. Gronk was much faster
Without question. He was like a totally different player. They rarely even bother trying to split him out wide anymore. He’s lost more than a step. He’s lost a couple of steps.

That’s not to say that he can’t have a big game still, or that his career is over. I think it all depends on the status of his current injury situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down