PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Keep or trade #1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill B.

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
Should the Texans draft Reggie Bush or should they trade the number one pick? I say trade it. The Texans have a pretty decent running back in Davis. They need help in a lot of other areas. With all the hype around Bush, the Texans could get 3 or 4 good players and put down a foundation to build a winning team. They could easily get a first and a second pick, a later round pick and maybe a veteran lineman or linbacker. Just announce that you are willing to trade and let the bidding begin. Someone will overpay for the rights to Reggie Bush and the Texans have needs in a lot of places. The only problem is that it would be a hard and unpopular decision to make. It will have to be the first decision the new head coach of the Texans will have to make.

Trade it for a coach.

If they can get decent value, definitely trade it. Sure, Bush is better than Davis most likely. But Davis isn't their problem. Spread the talent out by trading out.

Draft a kicker with it... :D

Seriously, they could prolly get a decent player (a LB?) and a first round pick in the 5-10 range ( where they would take D'Brickshaw Ferguson - UV) from some desperate team in need of a RB

...Davis is pretty good, and still really young...

Texans need Oline like the Pats need another super bowl trophy (wicked bad).
Otherwise Reggie Bush would be very useless. Think Barry Sanders behind that crappy O line and team he had back in the day. Both had/have immense amounts of talent but if they are the only thing on their team they wont win.

Now that the Texans fired Capers maybe they will bring in somebody with half a brain who will analyze his teams strengths weaknesses and realize they are not in a position to simply draft the best talent available which would be Bush. They need O line to protect Car and open holes for Davis (who just signed an extension).

The Texans should start negotiations at the Eli Manning price. I think it was first for first, second swap and next years first. I could be wrong.
Then they could use the picks to draft O line that could produce immediatly and be together for a long time.

Hell, they should just pay me to be the GM.

re:

Running backs taken 1st overall rarely win championships (read Peter King's article). Also, running backs have the shortest shelf life of any major position.

The Texans already have talent at RB, WR, and arguably QB. They need to strengthen their O-Line and D-Line.

They should trade and get as many draft picks as possible. Bill Walsh did that with the 49ers, Jimmy Johnson with the Cowboys, and the Chargers recently did that by trading away Vick and Manning.

maverick4 said:
Running backs taken 1st overall rarely win championships (read Peter King's article). Also, running backs have the shortest shelf life of any major position.

The Texans already have talent at RB, WR, and arguably QB. They need to strengthen their O-Line and D-Line.

They should trade and get as many draft picks as possible. Bill Walsh did that with the 49ers, Jimmy Johnson with the Cowboys, and the Chargers recently did that by trading away Vick and Manning.

I doubt that they will do anything THAT wise.

If I was Casserly (why wasn't he fired as well?), I would trade down for a lower first this year, a first next year, and at least another mid round pick (2nd or a 3rd) this year. Pick like Beioli would (tough, good character, high motor, clean players that are able to learn the playbook).

David Carr I don't think is that bad. His protection is terrible though. Their running game clearly isn't the problem.

If this is a good year for offensive linemen...I would focus on that for the most part. D-line next.

The Texans front office isn't all that bright though. Isn't that idiot still on board over there...Boobie Grier?

Last edited:
If Grier is there, they're screwed anyhoo. I echo the 'deal down and stockpile picks' comments, altho if a moron is doing the selecting, it won't matter much.

definetly trade it and spread it around. You need more than a hot shot RB. Keeping ur QB alive is definetly a good idea.

re:

this is funny. kind of.

i explained the trade and get as many draft picks as possible strategy on a random texans message board, but no one seems to understand why that makes sense.

i am SO glad that the pats have intelligent executives and fans.

oldrover said:
If Grier is there, they're screwed anyhoo. I echo the 'deal down and stockpile picks' comments, altho if a moron is doing the selecting, it won't matter much.

Hopefully they replace the moron who overspent on an underachieving O Line.
Draft, sign or trade for picks and you'll have instant improvement. If they're smart, they'll trade outside the conference so it won't haunt them as much if he turns out to be as good as the hype.......

Just my $0.02,

maverick4 said:

I like that idea.......you can't go wrong with extra draft picks!

No doubt the Texans need an o-line. I think David Carr is one of the toughest sobs out there as far as QB's. I'd like to see what he could do with some kind of protection instead of being flat on his back every game. You'd figure after all the punishment he has endured over the years they would atleast feel inclined to do so.

re:

Carr was a good prospect coming out.

He is one of the toughest QB's out there. Sacked more than any other QB, doesn't call out his teammates, doesn't call out the front office.

I just hope his battered body and mental psyche are intact enough that he still has a chance for a solid career.

maverick4 said:
this is funny. kind of.

i explained the trade and get as many draft picks as possible strategy on a random texans message board, but no one seems to understand why that makes sense.

i am SO glad that the pats have intelligent executives and fans.

I'm sure they are DESPARATE for some respect in that organization and feel like Bush will provide it

More likely he'll be unable to live up to the salary a #1 draft pick will command.

With a bad organization like the Texans, you could quickly find yourself in salary cap hell, drafting top 5 picks year after year who don't live up to their salary cap hits

and each following year that you are unable to turn your team around, you are "forced" to expend even more salary cap money when logicially you should spread it around to quality middle class players

If they can trade down, pick up a value player or pick, along with swapping a 5, 6, or 7 for their #1, they absolutely should do it

Houston is taking Reggie Bush. Guaranteed.

They can wait until early in Round 2 for an OT. Bobby Grier will not pass on Reggie Bush

To me, the obvious scenario is the Texans swap places with #3 Titans, in a deal very similar to NYG & SD two years ago.

Texans can take OT D'Brick Ferguson at #3, and the Titans salivate at the thought of reuniting Bush with his old college OC in Chow.

Makes too much sense not to happen.

Not to mention that NO Saints would be a willing non-participant bc they want to take Linehart at #2 anyway.

Everyone wins.

tombonneau said:
To me, the obvious scenario is the Texans swap places with #3 Titans, in a deal very similar to NYG & SD two years ago.

Texans can take OT D'Brick Ferguson at #3, and the Titans salivate at the thought of reuniting Bush with his old college OC in Chow.

Makes too much sense not to happen.

Not to mention that NO Saints would be a willing non-participant bc they want to take Linehart at #2 anyway.

Everyone wins.

You can make the same case for Tennessee swapping with Houston to reunite Chow with Matt Leinart as well

Patskers said:
You can make the same case for Tennessee swapping with Houston to reunite Chow with Matt Leinart as well

I don't know. The feeling might be that Volek is good enough to win with now. Which I don't necessarily disagree with.

If the Titans get Bush (or even Linehart) watch out for the O in 06. They got a pretty good crop of young WRs last year that really weren't allowed to showcase their stuff due to injuries.

They have two really solid TEs in Kinney & Troupe (with Troupe potentially a stud in the making).

IMO Bush would really make that offense sing. Plus he could split time with the larger (but injury prone) Chris Brown.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back