PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Karma: ESPN Headed for Second Straight Year of Falling Profit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hopefully they sell it to some parent company that will drain the swamp.
I very much doubt that Disney will find a Buyer for it without selling it off in pieces.

As an entity, ESPN is an anachronism (Mortenson being a prime example) with little or no economic value beyond the (formidable) value of its broadcast contracts, ranging from Cricket and Rugby to the sports more familiar to the American audience.

I could see Disney selling the Cricket and Rugby franchises to various Emerging Market media empires. The European Soccer rights could be sold to one of the major French, German or British outlets. There would be plenty of buyers for the US Sports contracts. Etc.

In other words, this could easily be broken up by selling off the broadcast rights and then, Poof!, No More ESPN. It would just evaporate.

Last edited:
I own a good bit of Disney stock and wish they'd dump ESPN altogether. The stock has been doing well as of late in spite of ESPN. At this point, divest and get something while you can from that god forsaken sinking ship.

With the Star Wars franchise breaking box office records every year like this, Disney can weather some bad ESPN years no problem. Btw: anyone see Rogue One? Best Star Wars since Empire imo.

And the deflation continues: (Article is dated Feb 8, 2017)

ESPN Profit Plummets As Network Turns Left

Every single day this year ESPN has lost roughly 10,000 cable and satellite subscribers.

Per day!

Per Nielsen's most recent estimates ESPN now has 87,859,000 cable and satellite subscribers. That's a loss of over 13 million cable and satellite subscribers in the past several years, costing ESPN in the neighborhood of $1.3 billion dollars per year. ($7.30 a month in affiliate fees x 12 months x 13 million households).

ESPN went MTV, and as they say, the rest is history. $%&# them.

Losses.jpg

ESPN went MTV, and as they say, the rest is history. $%&# them.

**** MTV and ESPN.. I hate both channels and now go out of my way not to watch either one... in fact my cable box hasn't clicked on MTV in 10 years at least. ESPN I have grown to hate over the last 2-3 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back