PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Kaczur isn't the only one

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriotis

Practice Squad Player
Reaction score
A lot more players are addicted to painkillers than one might think, especially OL. I'm glad the Pats stood by him and hope all goes well.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/08/15/olivea-out-in-new-york/

OLIVEA OUT IN NEW YORK
Posted by Mike Florio on August 15, 2008, 9:40 p.m. EDT

The New York Giants have placed tackle Shane Olivea on injured reserve, and they intend to reach an injury settlement and release him once he’s healthy.

Olivea signed with the Giants after being cut by the Chargers. He recently admitted a past addiction to painkiller.

“We had an extended amount of time here where we tried to improve his situation and it didn’t seem like we were getting very far,” coach Tom Coughlin said. “It’s very unfortunate because we thought when we first brought Shane in it would be something where both parties would benefit. You add a veteran and you have a guy that’s going through some things and was anxious to really start his career over.

“We thought this was the right situation. We worked him out, he was in outstanding shape, we didn’t think there was going to be any down time whatsoever. And the unfortunate thing is, on his best practice, that very evening he couldn’t come back to practice. It’s unfortunate, but we wished him well and hopefully he’ll get himself back to where he feels good about having an opportunity.”

Once released, Olivea will become a free agent.

A lot more players are addicted to painkillers than one might think, especially OL. I'm glad the Pats stood by him and hope all goes well.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/08/15/olivea-out-in-new-york/

For the most part I feel like most everyone is pulling for him but most of wish he exhibited better decision making. I do wish him well and think he will be fine and have a strong season. I also don't think he will be suspended at all, first offense.

For the most part I feel like most everyone is pulling for him but most of wish he exhibited better decision making. I do wish him well and think he will be fine and have a strong season. I also don't think he will be suspended at all, first offense.

Good points all around. It is his first offense, and we all hope he does the right thing going forward.

Painkillers are common in the NFL. A job that comes with all sorts of pain. It should really be addressed at a higher level, but knowing the leadership, the NFL will wait until it's a bigger issue.

I thought I heard Favre had a past addiction to pain pills?

I DON'T MEAN TO TURN THIS INTO ANOTHER fAVRE THREAD.:disagreement:

Here' to hoping Olivea gets well.

I thought I heard Favre had a past addiction to pain pills?

I DON'T MEAN TO TURN THIS INTO ANOTHER fAVRE THREAD.:disagreement:

Here' to hoping Olivea gets well.

Yes, Favre, did have an addiction issue a few years ago....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down