PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Just passing through...

Slaine

Rookie
Reaction score
Hi All!

Unusually for this forum I'm not a Pats fan. I'm a Steelers fan from the UK who comes over to the States every couple of years with two friends to watch some games, both college and NFL. We're slowly ticking off a bunch of NFL and college stadiums and plan to add a few more this October.

The plan this year is flying to Atlanta to watch Virginia @ Georgia Tech, then down to Miami where we'll probably catch the Duke @ Miami game (or watch college gameday in a bar) and then on Sunday we'll see the Steelers @ Dolphins before flying up to Boston to catch the Monday nighter Bears @ Pats. The reason for the Bears game is that one of my buddies is a Bears fan.

I'm hoping to get some tips for game day and some suggestions for the best options for tickets and where to sit - we usually end up in the nose bleeds as it's a better view of the developing play.

Our hotel is fairly central downtown and from what I understand there's a transit from the town centre on game day...? Do you know if we need to buy tickets for that in advance?

Looking forward to talking some football.

Hi All!

Unusually for this forum I'm not a Pats fan. I'm a Steelers fan from the UK who comes over to the States every couple of years with two friends to watch some games, both college and NFL. We're slowly ticking off a bunch of NFL and college stadiums and plan to add a few more this October.

The plan this year is flying to Atlanta to watch Virginia @ Georgia Tech, then down to Miami where we'll probably catch the Duke @ Miami game (or watch college gameday in a bar) and then on Sunday we'll see the Steelers @ Dolphins before flying up to Boston to catch the Monday nighter Bears @ Pats. The reason for the Bears game is that one of my buddies is a Bears fan.

I'm hoping to get some tips for game day and some suggestions for the best options for tickets and where to sit - we usually end up in the nose bleeds as it's a better view of the developing play.

Our hotel is fairly central downtown and from what I understand there's a transit from the town centre on game day...? Do you know if we need to buy tickets for that in advance?

Downtown where?

Downtown Boston to Gillette Stadium is a pretty long drive on game day.

There’s the Patriot train which takes about an hour from downtown to the stadium but it has mixed reviews.

Personally I would suggest staying in Foxborough.

Last edited:
When watching the Patriots, you should be aware that many here expect this to be the worst Patriots team of all time.

The head coach is likely senile and most interested in suppressing internal competition for his many children that he employs, and as a general manager with his dog Nike has had more draft busts than all other league GM's combined. His play caller is a failed rocket scientist (Challenger? Columbia?) who can only call plays that the opposing DC expects, and his QB coach thinks the most important skill for a QB is holding for the placekicker.

Don't expect much.

/S -- added for the literal minded amongst you

Last edited:
When watching the Patriots, you should be aware that many here expect this to be the worst Patriots team of all time.

The head coach is likely senile and most interested in suppressing internal competition for his many children that he employs, and as a general manager with his dog Nike has had more draft busts than all other league GM's combined. His play caller is a failed rocket scientist (Challenger? Columbia?) who can only call plays that the opposing DC expects, and his QB coach thinks the most important skill for a QB is holding for the placekicker.

Don't expect much.
Ill Be Back Jim Carrey GIF

Don't expect much.
Dementia (Jordan) vs BB (everyone else)…

I can speak of Atlanta.

Be prepared to sit in traffic whatever route that you choose. Even on weekends. Maybe Marta is the best option.

Unless it's changed west of downtown is to be avoided. I was there for the Super Bowl and had to park in that direction. Good place for a murder.

Downtown where?

Downtown Boston to Gillette Stadium is a pretty long drive on game day.

There’s the Patriot train which takes about an hour from downtown to the stadium but it has mixed reviews.

Personally I would suggest staying in Foxborough.

Aren't you a Bills fan?

Hi All!

Get a hotel in Foxborough or one of the nearby towns like Mansfield, etc. That is, if hotels are still available...the travel from Boston is going to be hell. You may also be better off staying in Providence, RI (same distance from Boston to the stadium).

there is one train to Foxboro from Boston. You can rent a car, but you’ll need to pay to park.

Obviously there is more to do in Boston than Foxboro, and you’ll have to get from Logan (the airport) to Foxboro and back, so you’ll be trying to back and forth anyway.

There are restaurants and bars in Patriot Place near the stadium.

Fly to Boston or Providence Monday AM. Rent a car and drive straight to the game. Get there early and enjoy Patriot Place. Plenty to see, eat and drink. Book a room at one of the local hotels if you can. If you cannot then someone needs to stay sober to drive back to the city. Note that NOTHING will be open after the game is out at midnite. They roll up the sidewalks early in Mass. Providence is a different story but you won't be make it back in time to go out.

Fly to Boston. Rent a car and drive straight to the game. Get there early and enjoy Patriot Place. Plenty to see, eat and drink. Book a room at one of the local hotels if you can. If you cannot then someone needs to stay sober to drive back to the city. Note that NOTHING will be open after the game is out at midnite.
This would be my suggestion

Suggest you take the travel advice of the locals, of which I am not.

I am still stuck on the entirely avoidable tragedy that is this: I'm a Steelers fan from the UK.

Hi All!

Here's some of the info you're looking for:

Round trip event tickets to Foxboro are $20.
Please note that regular Commuter Rail tickets and passes (including the $10 weekend pass) are not valid for game or event trains.
You can buy tickets up to 1 week in advance:

(I've only been to 2 games ever, and one was a direct RKK invite to someone way more important than I, and I was a last minute bottom of the list +1 for 50yd line row 1 club seats, so I can't speak to where to sit, but driving is brutal.)

Last edited:
Thank you all for the advice. I'll see what's out there near the stadium. The hotel I've currently got booked is in downtown Boston but if Foxburgh makes the most sense I'll see what I can find.

I live in Pittsburgh so if you need advice for a home steelers game i may be able to help out. Also if you want to know how to get a group of Steelers fans to throw eggs at you im your guy too.

Fly to Boston or Providence Monday AM. Rent a car and drive straight to the game. Get there early and enjoy Patriot Place. Plenty to see, eat and drink. Book a room at one of the local hotels if you can. If you cannot then someone needs to stay sober to drive back to the city. Note that NOTHING will be open after the game is out at midnite. They roll up the sidewalks early in Mass. Providence is a different story but you won't be make it back in time to go out.
He drives on the wrong side of the road.

I can speak of Atlanta.

Be prepared to sit in traffic whatever route that you choose. Even on weekends. Maybe Marta is the best option.

Unless it's changed west of downtown is to be avoided. I was there for the Super Bowl and had to park in that direction. Good place for a murder.
We're staying in downtown and then will probably walk up to Bobby Dodd depending on the weather. Outside of that it will be taxis or Uber from/to the airport. Any tips about which to use/avoid?

Thank you all for the advice. I'll see what's out there near the stadium. The hotel I've currently got booked is in downtown Boston but if Foxburgh makes the most sense I'll see what I can find.

Foxborough is like ... well think of going to a game at Wembley and staying in Neasden. Boston, on the other hand, is great fun.

But the train is pretty incredible. It's slower and clunkier than you'd have thought possible. Still, the last time I did it (last season) things had got better, at least on the organizational side. You could buy tickets online in advance and download them to your phone wallet. And, slow though it was, I didn't miss kick-off.

So my advice is, unless you're desperate to tailgate or walk around the Patriots Hall of Fame (my guess is the answer is "no" about the latter from what you say -- it would be a useful re-education, but there we are) bite the bullet and use the train. Have a couple of extra ****tails in town.

Now here is a VERY IMPORTANT piece of advice. Make sure you've read the restrictions on what can be brought into the stadium and HAVE NOTHING ELSE WITH YOU. You can't leave backpacks and so on on the train.

Have fun!

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down
Back