Staff member
Reaction score
Today in Patriots History
Two Bud and two backup QBs

Happy 85th birthday to Bob 'Two Bud' Schmidt
Born July 9, 1936 in Rochester, Minnesota
Patriot RT, 1964; uniform #74
Acquired in a trade with the Houston Oilers on August 25, 1964

Robert Malcolm Schmidt was originally drafted by the Chicago Cardinals in 1958, from the University of Minnesota. He was a three-time AFL all-star center with the Houston, and part of their 1961 American Football League championship team. On August 25, 1964 the Boston Patriots picked Schmidt up from the Oilers for a "future high draft choice". Bob started all 14 games for the Patriots that year, and played in 98 AFL/NFL games over eight seasons. After retirement he worked as a realtor in western New York. He is not to be confused with this Bob Schmidt, who played football at USC.

Very nice well detailed article about Mr. Schmidt via the link below, well worth the click:

Schmidt turned up at the Cardinals’ training camp in Lake Forest, Illinois, and did his best. However, he was cut by Chicago shortly before the start of the season. Before he had time to make other plans for the rest of his life, Wellington Mara – the owner of the New York Giants – called and told him that the team wanted to sign him for the taxi squad. Schmidt thought about it while duck hunting over a weekend, and then talked to Mara a couple of days later and agreed to join the team for $700 a week – double the original offer.​

“I was there two days and I didn’t know Jim Lee Howell was the head coach,” Schmidt told author Jeffrey Miller about joining the Giants. “I thought (assistant coach Vince) Lombardi was (the head coach) because he was running the whole show. They asked me if I had ever played guard or center and I said, ‘No, I mostly played defensive end or tackle in college.’ They said, ‘Report to Mr. (Tom) Landry. He’s going to have you work with the centers and learn how to snap the ball.” That’s how Schmidt was introduced to two of the great coaches in football history, Lombardi and Landry.​

“Landry was a very good defensive coach,” Schmidt said. “He did a lot of film study at that time. He said (linebacker) Sam Huff’s responsibility was to go where Jim Brown went (when the Giants played the Browns). He said, ‘I don’t care if he goes to the popcorn stand. You’ve got him.’” . . .​

The Oilers took a step back in 1963, falling to 6-8. That was third in the tightly-bunched AFL East behind Boston and Buffalo. Still, Schmidt was back in the All-Star Game for a third straight season. A losing record didn’t agree with Adams, so he fired Ivy and brought in a Texas football legend, Sammy Baugh. That, in turn, didn’t agree with Schmidt. “He was a wonderful athlete, but he wasn’t a coach,” Schmidt told author Miller. “Before I even got there, he had me on the trading block for some reason. I think he just wanted something different. “​

Schmidt was shipped to the Boston Patriots. The Oilers received a second-round pick in 1965, and used it on offensive tackle Ralph Neely. It would have been a spectacular deal for Houston had the team signed Neely, but he went to Dallas of the NFL instead. Patriots coach Mike Holovak quickly moved Schmidt to right tackle, since rookie Jon Morris was about to start an 11-year run as the team’s center. Bob split the time there with Bob Yates. The Patriots went 10-3-1 but finished second in the AFL East behind Buffalo.​

In 1965, Schmidt didn’t have much of a chance, as he tore his ACL early in the season and never dressed for a game. “In those days they didn’t like to take care of injures the way they do now. They actually sent me home with about a half a year’s pay,” Schmidt told Miller. By 1966, Bob was ready to think about coaching, and was surprised to receive a couple of offers to play again. Buffalo was looking for a backup center to Al Bemiller, and Schmidt believed that team would be a good landing spot. After all, the Bills were coming off two consecutive championships as they entered the 1966 season. . . .​

Schmidt worked in sales for 32 years, and then eventually he and his wife got their real estate licenses and stayed in that business. Along the way, he was inducted into the Rochester (Minn.) Sports Hall of Fame in 1993. Bob was a regular participant in Bills’ alumni functions for many years in the Buffalo area. That way, he’s not forgotten.​

“I get letters once or twice a week from kids seeking an autograph,” Schmidt said in 2016. “It still makes me think I’m part of the picture, even if there’s not enough tape to get me into a uniform. It was a great experience.”​

1964-Topps-Football-Card-83-Bob-Schmidt.jpg

Two Bud and two backup QBs

Happy 60th birthday to Tom Ramsey
Born July 9, 1961 in Encino, California
Patriot QB, 1985-1988; uniform #12
Pats 10th round (267th overall) selection of the 1983 draft, from UCLA

Thomas Lloyd Ramsey was the1983 Rose Bowl MVP, and shared the 1983 Pac-10 Player of the Year award with some guy from Stanford named John Elway. Tom did not sign with the Patriots directly out of college, instead playing in the USFL for two seasons. Ramsey was forced into action in 1987 when both Tony Eason and Steve Grogan were sidelined with injuries.

Ramsey's touchdown pass to Stanley Morgan gave the Patriots the lead with less than two minutes to play against Dallas, but the Cowboys came back to win in overtime on a 60-yard touchdown run by Herschel Walker. The following week Ramsey made his first NFL start, with the Pats shutting out the Colts 24-0. A week later Tom threw for 402 yards and three touchdowns, incredible numbers at that time. In doing so he rallied the Patriots from a 31-10 fourth quarter deficit with two TD passes, and another on the ground to tie the game - only to once again see the Pats lose in OT. Then the following week Ramsey threw four picks at Denver, and was benched.

The 1988 Patriot team was inept on offense (they finished 24th in scoring, 27th in yards), with far too many turnovers. Raymond Berry had a carousel of ineffective quarterbacks, starting Grogan, Eason, Ramsey and Doug Flutie over the course of the season. Ramsey reportedly had some words to say about both Berry and Flutie - allegations he denied - and was promptly waived. He spent one more season in the NFL, as a backup for the Colts.

Tom Ramsey played in 21 games with four starts during his time with the Patriots, throwing six touchdown passes and nine interceptions. He later worked as a college football broadcaster. Tom is now employed as the VP of American Sales for Phenix Real Time Solutions, a video streaming software corporation based in Chicago.

AuQGVuzCEAI6bZA.jpg

Patriot QBs Steve Grogan, Tom Ramsey and Tony Eason discuss strategy on the sideline of a 1987 game.

Nov 25, 1988:

Two Bud and a couple backup QBs

Happy 48th birthday to Damon Huard
Born July 9, 1973 in Yakima, Washington
Patriot QB, 2001-2003; uniform #19
Signed as a veteran free agent on April 2, 2001

Damon Paul Huard was originally signed as an undrafted rookie by Cincinnati in 1996, from the University of Washington. He spent four years in the Dolphins' organization (including one in Europe) before the Pats signed him early in the 2000 offseason. Huard played in only four games with the Pats; his largest contribution came as the quarterback for the scout team. That effectively helped prepare Patriot defenses for their upcoming opponents - including Super Bowl 36 and 38.

In his post-football career Damon teamed up with Dan Marino in the winery business.; he is also Chief Administrative Officer for the University of Washington's football program.

1Brady-Huard-850x478$large.jpeg

Tom Brady and Damon Huard in August, 2003

Aug 6, 2018:

Two Bud and a couple backup QBs

Happy 78th birthday to Ellis Johnson
Born July 9, 1943 in Baton Rouge
Patriot RB/WR, 1965-1966; uniform #38
Pats 4th round (31st overall) selection of the 1965 draft, from SE Louisiana

Ellis Johnson was a 9.7 second sprinter and the fastest player on the Patriots' roster. He was tried at halfback as a change of pace from Jim Nance, but couldn't get past Larry Garron or J.D. Garrett for backfield touches. Mike Holovak also attempted to exploit Johnson's speed at flanker, but again he could not unseat Gino Cappelletti (or Jim Colclough or Art Graham at split end) for playing time.

Johnson played in all 28 games over two seasons with the Pats but accumulated just 29 yards rushing on 19 carries, and four receptions for 29 yards.

Sept 13, 1965:

Happy posthumous birthday to Bill Hudson, who would have been 86 today
Born July 9, 1935 in Lamar, SC
Patriot DT, 1963; uniform #61
Acquired in a trade with San Diego in July 18, 1963
Died December 13, 2017 at the age of 82

10b44f51c8568d32bbd76a2d2365ec6e.jpg

William Alex Hudson was a third round draft pick by the Chicago Cardinals in 1957, but instead went north to play in the CFL for four years. He signed with San Diego in 1961, and was named to the AFL West all star team that season. Bill played in four games with the Pats in 1963 before being 'worn out' and retiring from pro football. After working in the AFL league office, Hudson later worked as a building services contractor and then as a banker.

July 9, 2008:
Kevin Faulk pleads no contest to misdemeanor marijuana charges, and receives one year probation.

July 9, 2001:
Scott Pioli is promoted to the position of Director of Player Personnel. He had joined the Patriots the previous year as the assistant director of player personnel.

July 9, 1992:
The Patriots waive Zeke Mowatt, the tight end most infamously known for his role in the Lisa Olson incident.

Other pro football players with New England area connections born on this date:

- Pete Kendall, 48 (7/9/73); the Weymouth native went to Archbishop Williams High School in Braintree and was a standout at Boston College. Seattle selected him with the 21st overall pick of the 1996 draft, and the offensive lineman played 13 seasons in the NFL.

- John Galvin, 56 (7/9/65); this Lowell native and BC grad was a linebacker and exceptional special team player with the Jets and Vikings in the late 80s and early 90s.
John Galvin, Class of 1983 | Lowell High School Athletic Hall of Fame

- Al Krevis, 69 (7/9/52); another BC alum, Al was a second round pick as a tackle by the Bengals in 1975.

- Paul Walker (7/9/25-10/20/72); the All American from Yale played briefly for the Giants after the end of WWII.

Some notable pro football players born on this date include:

- O.J. Simpson, 74 (7/9/47); the Hall of Fame running back slashed his way to 469 yards in two 1973 games against the Pats, en route to becoming the first player to rush for 2,000 yards in a single season.

- Clem Daniels, 84 (7/9/37); in 1963 the four-time All Star halfback led the league in rushing yards, yards from scrimmage - and also yards per reception, with an average of 22.8 yards on 30 catches.

- Trent Green, 51 (7/9/70); his knee injury on a Rodney Harrison hit made **** Vermeil cry, but if not for that injury then Kurt Warner is probably still stocking grocery shelves. Green threw 162 touchdown passes over 11 seasons and was named to two pro bowls.
Former Chiefs QB Trent Green knows well how a hit can change things | Kansas City Star

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back