PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

July 26 in Pats History: Mike Taliaferro

jmt57

Staff member
Reaction score
Today in Patriots History
The Origin of the Curse of 17

The Red Sox were known for long having endured the mythical Curse of the Bambino, Babe Ruth. Perhaps the Patriots have a curse of another Babe. On July 20, 1968 the Patriots traded 38 year old Babe Parilli to the Jets for Taliaferro, thus creating the maelstrom now known as the Curse of #17.

Happy 80th birthday Mike Taliaferro
Born July 26, 1941 in Houston
Patriot QB 1968-70; uniform #17
Acquired on July 20, 1968 from the Jets for Babe Parilli

Myron Eugene 'Mike' Taliaferro was the quarterback for Illinois when they improved from a 2-7 record in 1962 to winning the Rose Bowl in 1963, finishing a one-loss season as the #3 ranked team in the country. The Illini didn't pass the ball much that season: 52 rushes versus 15 passes per game. That ground game was led by **** Butkus playing center on offense, and All-American Jim Grabowski at running back. And with Taliaferro throwing for just 450 yards (with 2 td/9 Int), he wasn't exactly a hot commodity. Mike was drafted by both New York teams: in the 10th round (138th) by the Giants, and 28th round (219th) by the Jets. Odd as it may sound today, Taliaferro was far more impressed by the Jets than the Giants in his interviews, in particular by Weeb Ewbank. Mike commented that the Giants "seemed more intent on discussing their vacation plans and where they were going. They didn't have the same focus that Weeb had." As a result Taliaferro chose to sign with the Jets and the AFL over the Giants and the NFL.

Ewbank began his coaching career working for Paul Brown, then became coach of the Baltimore Colts in their second year of existence in 1954. While there the team won two NFL championships, in 1958 and 1959. Ewbank was fired in 1962 (replaced by Don Shula), and became the Jets head coach in 1963. His first two seasons in Queens ended with identical 5-8-1 records, with Taliaferro on the bench behind starter (no, I did not make this name up) **** Wood. In '65 the Jets traded Wood, but any hopes Taliaferro had of becoming the full time starter were quickly squashed. The Jets drafted Joe Namath with the first overall pick, Heisman Trophy winner John Huarte in the second, and then two more QBs in the fourth and seventh rounds.

Patriots%2069%20Road%20Mike%20Taliaferro,%20Jets%20Philbin%2010-26-1969_small.jpg
Broncos%2069%20Home%20Rich%20Jackson,%20Patriots_small.jpg

Taliaferro started the first two games, losing both while going 4-21 and 4-12 for a combined 82 yards passing. Namath took over in week three and threw for 287 yards, but after going 5-21 in week six Ewbanks pulled Namath and Taliaferro started the next three games. Despite winning back-to-back games, Taliaferro's performance was subpar (13-29 in those two wins, with one TD and four Int). Namath started the rest of the way, winning five of the last eight games.

Over the next two seasons Taliaferro rarely got any playing time. For fans that get angry with Jarrett Stidham and then Cam Newton being the plan at quarterback in 2020, that is nothing compared to the Boston Patriots of 1968 and 1969. In '68 Parilli won a Super Bowl ring as Joe Namath's backup while the Pats - who had come very close to representing the AFL in the first super bowl just two years prior - floundered to a 4-10 record. Taliaferro and Tom Sherman were just not starting quarterback material, and it didn't get any better a year later when the options at QB were Taliaferro and Kim Hammond. There was nothing in his college or pro football career that created a reason for optimism, and the performance on the field proved those concerns to be valid. Taliaferro became the bullseye of wrath for frustrated Pats fans, going 8-17 in 25 starts, with 27 TD versus 44 picks.

Then to add insult to injury the Patriots went out and supposedly cured their quarterback dilemma by adding Joe Kapp in 1970, who was so bad he made Taliaferro look good in comparison.

62131031609f1c7cd0f677b1b1c3b6b2.jpg

To his credit Taliaferro did make a marked improvement in his play while with the Pats. After a 4 TD/15 Int performance in his first season with the Patriots, Mike had a 19/18 TD-Int ratio in 1969, while upping his completion percentage by ten points. Remarkably, Taliaferro was named to the Pro Bowl in 1969, but I am finding details about that a bit murky. For the entire existence of the AFL there was an All-Star game, East division versus West. My understanding was that those who were named to those teams were considered to be a Pro Bowler, by modern definition of that term. But when I look up the 1969 AFL All Star roster, the quarterbacks for the East were Namath and Bob Griese. Then when I search for the 1969 AFL Pro Bowl roster I find Taliaferro's name listed - among seven quarterbacks! And that list does not include Griese either - but does include a team's backup QB (KC's Mike Livingston).

Back to Taliaferro: he was released early in the 1972 training camp, as the Pats went with Jim Plunkett and Brian Dowling at quarterback. He signed with Buffalo, a year later was traded to Washington, and then played for Houston in the World Football League in 1974. Mike Taliaferro played in 32 games for the Patriots (with 25 starts) and in 82 NFL games for the Jets, Pats and Bills. After his pro football career ended he worked in mortgage banking, specifically in financing for single family residential properties.

AFL Highlights, Raiders vs Pats (2:28)

Sept 28, 1969 at Alumni Stadium. Heading into the game the Raiders were 2-0 while the Patriots were 0-2.
The story of the game was the quarterbacks; Daryle Lamonica had 4 TD passes while Mike Taliaferro had 3 TD passes.
Final score: Oakland 38, Boston 23.

More about Mike Taliaferro here:

List of players to wear #17 for the Patriots:
  1. - 1968-70: Mike Taliaferro
  2. - 1975: Elmo Wright
  3. - 1976-81: Tom Owen
  4. - 1984: Luke Prestridge
  5. - 1992: Jeff Carlson
  6. - 1997: Tony Gaiter
  7. - 1998: Henry Ellard
  8. - 1999-2000: John Friesz
  9. - 2003: Dedric Ward
  10. - 2006-07: Chad Jackson
  11. - 2010-11: Taylor Price
  12. - 2012: Greg Salas
  13. - 2013-15: Aaron Dobson
  14. - 2017: Bernard Reedy
  15. - 2018: Riley McCarron
  16. - 2019: Antonio Brown
  17. - 2020: Kristian Wilkerson

10-20-68: Pats rebound and beat the Bills, 23-6 | Football at Fenway
Mike Taliaferro had his first feast of the season. After Nick Buoniconti colleted key interceptions, Taliaferro knocked out two touchdown passes in a wet drizzle at Fenway Park. Both passes were to Jim Whalen, as the Patriots exploded in the third quarter. At the four minute mark of the third period Buoniconti made his first pick giving the Pats the ball at the Buffalo 48-yard line. Three plays later, Taliaferro hit Thomas over the middle. Next he hit Whalen at the 10-yard line who took it in. This put the Patriots in front 13 to 6.​

On the next kickoff Max Anderson fumbled and Willie Porter recovered it for the Pats on the Bills' 17-yd line. Cappy converted this into his third field goal making it 16-6. Then with the end of the quarter ending, Buoniconti intercepted another pass off rookie Dan Darragh. This set up the second Whalen TD. Taliaferro wanted to throw to Art Graham, but he saw Whalen free in the end zone and hit him in stride.​

Offensively, the Patriots chalked up 203 yards and the ground via Jim Nance and Gene Thomas. Nance, with his best day thus far this season, gained 82 yards while Thomas picked up 76. So effective was the ground game that Taliaferro only passed 12 times.​

New England Patriots: Mike Taliaferro​
It didn’t matter that Taliaerro had stunk it up for the rival Jets through four seasons before he arrived in New England for 1968, when he had four touchdowns to 15 interceptions in seven games and a 26.9 rating. He had an 8-17 record in total through three seasons with the Patriots.​

AFL Teams: Boston Patriots | Chiefs Hall of Honor
In an attempt to trade some of the age for youth and enthusiasm, Mike Holovak deals Babe Parilli to the New York Jets for quarterback Mike Taliaferro. But Taliaferro completes less than 40 percent of his passes and eventually loses his job to rookie Tom Sherman. Few of the other Patriots respond with good seasons. Jim Nance injures an ankle that limits his effectiveness. Bad knees knock defensive end Larry Eisenhauer and middle linebacker Nick Buoniconti out of the lineup for a considerable time. Only tight end Jim Whalen, who makes 47 receptions, is a real threat on a team that finishes with a 4-10 record.​

Deatrich Wise

Happy 27th birthday to Deatrich Wise
Born July 26, 1994 in St Petersburg, FL
Patriot DE, 2017-present; uniform #91
Pats 4th round (131st overall) selection of the 2017 draft, from Arkansas

WIS078731.png

Deatrich Wise has missed just two games in his four seasons with the Patriots, both in 2019 (one was a healthy scratch, the other he dressed but did not play). Over that time he has averaged 33 tackles, 3.5 sacks, 14 QB hits and four tackles for a loss per season. As a rookie in 2017 he was in on more than half the team's defensive snaps, but his playing time dropped the following year. Wise was projected to be a starter on the defensive line along with Michael Bennett, Lawrence Guy and Mike Pennel prior to the 2018 season, with John Simon, Derek Rivers and Keionta Davis possibly challenging him for playing time. As it turned out Wise was on the field even less often, with his snap count dropping from 543 (51%) in 2017 to 432 (41%) in 2018 to just 229 (23%) in 2019. With so many key defensive players not returning last year, Wise ended up with the most playing time of his career (565 defensive snaps, 56%), and a career high 49 tackles.

Raiders_Patriots_Football_82396-1.jpg

Sept 27, 2020 at Gillette Stadium: Deatrich Wise celebrates his first NFL touchdown after a Derek Carr fumble recovery against the Raiders

In a bit of a surprise the Patriots signed Wise to what appears to be a relatively generous contract this past March. The deal is worth $22 million with $10 million guaranteed, including a $5 million signing bonus. Wise can earn up to $1 million a year in per game bonuses, with up to an additional $8 million in incentives available. Love him or hate him, Wise will be in Foxborough this season and next, at minimum.

May 6, 2021:

May 6, 2021:

“One of the things that brought me back here was I just love the atmosphere here, the culture here that Bill Belichick and [owner Robert] Kraft and all the coaches and players have created,” Wise said Thursday in a video conference call with reporters. “I feel like this place is second to none when it comes to the mindset and culture of success.”​

Wise weighed a sizeable offer from the Broncos, according to sources, but ultimately chose to commit in New England roughly five hours into free agency. The 27-year-old projects as a key piece of the Pats’ pass rush moving forward, as a versatile lineman who can rush off the edge and from the interior.​

So many that don't make it

In memory of Bill Larson (1938 - 2015), who would have been 83 today
Born July 26, 1938 in Rockford, IL
Patriot FB, 1960; uniform #34

Larson played in only one game for the Pats, before returning to Illinois for a fulfilling life:

Happy 58th birthday to Andy Ekern
Born July 26, 1961 in Colombia, Missouri
Patriot TE, 1983 offseason
Pats 12th round (326th overall) selection of the 1983 draft, from Missouri

Andy Ekern was waived at the end of both the 1983 and 1984 training camps, and was never on a regular season roster for the Pats. He did appear in two games with the Colts, before returning to the family farm.

Happy 36th birthday to Marcus Benard
Born July 26, 1985 in Adrian, MI
Patriot DE/OLB 2013 offseason; uniform #58
Signed to a future contract on January 21, 2013

Oliver Thomas had a very detailed column on Benard's early NFL career and what led to him being signed by the Patriots, complete with film breakdown:

July 6, 2013: Off the Grid: Patriots Pass-Rusher Marcus Benard | NEPatriotsDraft.com

Benard was hitting on all cylinders heading into his third professional campaign. That assurance was short-lived, however. The Browns switched from a 3-4 to a 4-3 scheme over that offseason. In turn, Benard was left without a niche.​

Although on Oct. 10, 2011, playing time became the least of Benard’s worries. After practice, No. 58 crashed his Can-Am Spyder into a highway guardrail and was thrown 80 yards from the initial point of impact.​

->Question: based on the title of the column above, does that mean that Oliver Thomas is/was our 'Off The Grid' that used to contribute lengthy assessments in the Draft Forum?

Aug 30, 2013:

Marcus Benard’s ability to dominate in one-on-one drills wasn’t enough to keep him on the New England Patriots’ roster.​

Benard was in the mix to serve as a backup defensive end behind Chandler Jones and Rob Ninkovich. The team tried to move him inside as an interior pass rusher at defensive tackle, but the undersized (6-foot-2, 260 pounds) player was unable to succeed in that role.​

Happy 41st birthday to Robert Gallery
Born July 26, 1980 in Manchester, Iowa
Patriot G, 2012 offseason; uniform #72
Signed as a free agent on March 19, 2012

Robert Gallery was the second overall pick in the 2002 draft, taken right after Eli Manning and just before Larry Fitzgerald, Philip Rivers and Sean Taylor. The Raiders started him at left tackle and then right tackle, but neither worked out. Gallery moved inside to guard and performed well there, but he is considered to be a huge draft bust - despite being a starter for eight NFL seasons.

The Pats signed Gallery at the age of 32 for depth at guard, but he retired early in the 2012 training camp.

gallery__1344157618_2080.jpg

May 11, 2012:

Aug 4, 2012:
Gallery chooses retirement; Fiammetta leaves | boston.com

Happy 31st birthday to R.J. Dill
Born July 26, 1990 in Athens, Georgia
Patriot practice squad OT, 2013; uniform #69
Signed to the practice squad on September 2, 2013

121213patriotstf01.jpg

Dec 12, 2013: R.J. Dill, (#69), Jordan Devey (#65), Josh Kline, (#67)
and Matthew Slater (#18) loosen up for a Thursday practice.

R.J. Dill was originally signed as a rookie undrafted free agent by Jacksonville in April of 2013. He had started out his college career at the University of Maryland but finished at Rutgers for Greg Schiano. Besides the Jaguars and Patriots he also spent time with the Chiefs, Rams and Cowboys, but never saw any playing time in the NFL.

Nov 25, 2014:

"Rutgers gave me a chance when I walked away from the University of Maryland and could've been done playing football. For that, I'll always owe Coach (Greg) Schiano and Coach (Kyle) Flood a debt of gratitude."​

Dill redshirted and became a starter under former head coach Ralph Friedgen – now in his first year as offensive coordinator at Rutgers – but says he did not see eye-to-eye with Friedgen's successor Randy Edsall even as he compiled the final 12 of 30 straight starts. He is one of 24 players with eligibility remaining who left the program in Edsall's first 13 months on the job.​

"You go from being treated as a family member to being treated as a piece of meat," Dill said. "That would be a good reason to leave at any point in time. He ended up doing well with some of the guys he's got in there. I guess it was a good decision. It just was at the cost of kids' football careers in my opinion."​

The Jaguars cut Dill near the end of training camp, and the Pats signed the 6'6, 316 lb lineman to their practice squad three days later. Dill spent most of 2013 with the Pats, but he was never promoted to the active roster. After the season ended Dill signed a reserve/future contract with the Chiefs.

121213patriotstf06.jpg

Dec 12, 2013: Austin Collie, Chris Barker, R.J. Dill and Braxston Cave at practice in Foxboro.

Dill did not last long in KC, cut in May after the first minicamp. He signed with the Rams but was released at the end of their 2014 training camp, and was out of football for the rest of the year. Dallas signed him to a reserve/future contract in January of 2015. The Cowboys placed Dill on IR at the end of training camp, and waived him two weeks later.

Prior to that Dill had a situation similar to that of Ben Watson's. After being cut in 2014 he thought he would never get a chance at playing football again. Then he did get another chance: but ended up with a four game suspension for PEDs:

In August 2014, I thought my dream of playing in the NFL was over, and I began to transition away from professional football. During these months away from football I noticed a drastic change in my energy and activity levels, so I saw my doctor, and blood tests revealed that my testosterone levels were very low. My doctor suggested that I undergo testosterone replacement therapy, and I accepted the recommended treatment. I completed one round of testosterone replacement therapy in November of 2014, and almost immediately, I felt like my old self again. At this time I was not under contract with any NFL team, nor was I actively pursuing an NFL career.

Then, in January of 2015, I unexpectedly received a call from the Dallas Cowboys. They were interested in signing me to a futures contract, and after passing a physical, I signed a contract and immersed myself in training for the 2015 NFL season. Unfortunately, my excitement was subdued when in May 2015 I was told by the NFL that I had failed a drug test. While my doctor had told me that the residual amounts of the testosterone would be out of my system about eight weeks after treatment, that was not accurate, and I failed a drug test a full six months after I had received the prescribed treatment.

Since being notified of my failed test, I attempted to secure a Therapeutic Use Exception ("TUE") from the NFL, but was it was denied because the NFL only permits exogenous testosterone treatment in extreme medical situations. I consulted with my union after the positive test and learned that even in these circumstances, the NFL imposes discipline because having the intention to cheat or break the rules is not required for a violation of NFL's PED policy (or any workplace drug policy). It is very difficult for me to accept that a suspension is imposed by the NFL after I followed treatment prescribed by a medical professional during a time when I was not employed by an NFL team. In my view, this situation carries the weight of an unforgiving label, 'cheater,' which I am not. I live with integrity, on and off the field, and I want people to understand the factual circumstances of my suspension, so that they, and the NFL, understand that I never sought a competitive advantage.

Other pro football players born on July 26 with a New England connection:

Charley Hannah, 66 (1955)
The brother of John Hannah played for the Bucs and Raiders from 1977-88.

Inky Williams (1893-1980)
All-Pro end from Brown University played for six NFL seasons in the twenties.

R.J. Cobbs, 39 (1982)
Safety from UMass got into one game for the Giants in 2006.

John Williams, 47 (1974)
Defensive back for Ravens in '77-'78 is brother of Pats 2001 draft pick Brock Williams.

John Harris (1898 - ?)
Born in Plainville CT; played for the 1926 Hartford Blues.

The Origin of the Curse of 17

The Red Sox were known for long having endured the mythical Curse of the Bambino, Babe Ruth. Perhaps the Patriots have a curse of another Babe. On July 20, 1968 the Patriots traded 38 year old Babe Parilli to the Jets for Taliaferro, thus creating the maelstrom now known as the Curse of #17.

Happy 80th birthday Mike Taliaferro
Born July 26, 1941 in Houston
Patriot QB 1968-70; uniform #17
Acquired on July 20, 1968 from the Jets for Babe Parilli

Myron Eugene 'Mike' Taliaferro was the quarterback for Illinois when they improved from a 2-7 record in 1962 to winning the Rose Bowl in 1963, finishing a one-loss season as the #3 ranked team in the country. The Illini didn't pass the ball much that season: 52 rushes versus 15 passes per game. That ground game was led by **** Butkus playing center on offense, and All-American Jim Grabowski at running back. And with Taliaferro throwing for just 450 yards (with 2 td/9 Int), he wasn't exactly a hot commodity. Mike was drafted by both New York teams: in the 10th round (138th) by the Giants, and 28th round (219th) by the Jets. Odd as it may sound today, Taliaferro was far more impressed by the Jets than the Giants in his interviews, in particular by Weeb Ewbank. Mike commented that the Giants "seemed more intent on discussing their vacation plans and where they were going. They didn't have the same focus that Weeb had." As a result Taliaferro chose to sign with the Jets and the AFL over the Giants and the NFL.

Ewbank began his coaching career working for Paul Brown, then became coach of the Baltimore Colts in their second year of existence in 1954. While there the team won two NFL championships, in 1958 and 1959. Ewbank was fired in 1962 (replaced by Don Shula), and became the Jets head coach in 1963. His first two seasons in Queens ended with identical 5-8-1 records, with Taliaferro on the bench behind starter (no, I did not make this name up) **** Wood. In '65 the Jets traded Wood, but any hopes Taliaferro had of becoming the full time starter were quickly squashed. The Jets drafted Joe Namath with the first overall pick, Heisman Trophy winner John Huarte in the second, and then two more QBs in the fourth and seventh rounds.

Patriots%2069%20Road%20Mike%20Taliaferro,%20Jets%20Philbin%2010-26-1969_small.jpg
Broncos%2069%20Home%20Rich%20Jackson,%20Patriots_small.jpg

Taliaferro started the first two games, losing both while going 4-21 and 4-12 for a combined 82 yards passing. Namath took over in week three and threw for 287 yards, but after going 5-21 in week six Ewbanks pulled Namath and Taliaferro started the next three games. Despite winning back-to-back games, Taliaferro's performance was subpar (13-29 in those two wins, with one TD and four Int). Namath started the rest of the way, winning five of the last eight games.

Over the next two seasons Taliaferro rarely got any playing time. For fans that get angry with Jarrett Stidham and then Cam Newton being the plan at quarterback in 2020, that is nothing compared to the Boston Patriots of 1968 and 1969. In '68 Parilli won a Super Bowl ring as Joe Namath's backup while the Pats - who had come very close to representing the AFL in the first super bowl just two years prior - floundered to a 4-10 record. Taliaferro and Tom Sherman were just not starting quarterback material, and it didn't get any better a year later when the options at QB were Taliaferro and Kim Hammond. There was nothing in his college or pro football career that created a reason for optimism, and the performance on the field proved those concerns to be valid. Taliaferro became the bullseye of wrath for frustrated Pats fans, going 8-17 in 25 starts, with 27 TD versus 44 picks.

Then to add insult to injury the Patriots went out and supposedly cured their quarterback dilemma by adding Joe Kapp in 1970, who was so bad he made Taliaferro look good in comparison.

62131031609f1c7cd0f677b1b1c3b6b2.jpg

To his credit Taliaferro did make a marked improvement in his play while with the Pats. After a 4 TD/15 Int performance in his first season with the Patriots, Mike had a 19/18 TD-Int ratio in 1969, while upping his completion percentage by ten points. Remarkably, Taliaferro was named to the Pro Bowl in 1969, but I am finding details about that a bit murky. For the entire existence of the AFL there was an All-Star game, East division versus West. My understanding was that those who were named to those teams were considered to be a Pro Bowler, by modern definition of that term. But when I look up the 1969 AFL All Star roster, the quarterbacks for the East were Namath and Bob Griese. Then when I search for the 1969 AFL Pro Bowl roster I find Taliaferro's name listed - among seven quarterbacks! And that list does not include Griese either - but does include a team's backup QB (KC's Mike Livingston).

Back to Taliaferro: he was released early in the 1972 training camp, as the Pats went with Jim Plunkett and Brian Dowling at quarterback. He signed with Buffalo, a year later was traded to Washington, and then played for Houston in the World Football League in 1974. Mike Taliaferro played in 32 games for the Patriots (with 25 starts) and in 82 NFL games for the Jets, Pats and Bills. After his pro football career ended he worked in mortgage banking, specifically in financing for single family residential properties.

AFL Highlights, Raiders vs Pats (2:28)

Sept 28, 1969 at Alumni Stadium. Heading into the game the Raiders were 2-0 while the Patriots were 0-2.
The story of the game was the quarterbacks; Daryle Lamonica had 4 TD passes while Mike Taliaferro had 3 TD passes.
Final score: Oakland 38, Boston 23.

More about Mike Taliaferro here:

List of players to wear #17 for the Patriots:
  1. - 1968-70: Mike Taliaferro
  2. - 1975: Elmo Wright
  3. - 1976-81: Tom Owen
  4. - 1984: Luke Prestridge
  5. - 1992: Jeff Carlson
  6. - 1997: Tony Gaiter
  7. - 1998: Henry Ellard
  8. - 1999-2000: John Friesz
  9. - 2003: Dedric Ward
  10. - 2006-07: Chad Jackson
  11. - 2010-11: Taylor Price
  12. - 2012: Greg Salas
  13. - 2013-15: Aaron Dobson
  14. - 2017: Bernard Reedy
  15. - 2018: Riley McCarron
  16. - 2019: Antonio Brown
  17. - 2020: Kristian Wilkerson

10-20-68: Pats rebound and beat the Bills, 23-6 | Football at Fenway
Mike Taliaferro had his first feast of the season. After Nick Buoniconti colleted key interceptions, Taliaferro knocked out two touchdown passes in a wet drizzle at Fenway Park. Both passes were to Jim Whalen, as the Patriots exploded in the third quarter. At the four minute mark of the third period Buoniconti made his first pick giving the Pats the ball at the Buffalo 48-yard line. Three plays later, Taliaferro hit Thomas over the middle. Next he hit Whalen at the 10-yard line who took it in. This put the Patriots in front 13 to 6.​

On the next kickoff Max Anderson fumbled and Willie Porter recovered it for the Pats on the Bills' 17-yd line. Cappy converted this into his third field goal making it 16-6. Then with the end of the quarter ending, Buoniconti intercepted another pass off rookie Dan Darragh. This set up the second Whalen TD. Taliaferro wanted to throw to Art Graham, but he saw Whalen free in the end zone and hit him in stride.​

Offensively, the Patriots chalked up 203 yards and the ground via Jim Nance and Gene Thomas. Nance, with his best day thus far this season, gained 82 yards while Thomas picked up 76. So effective was the ground game that Taliaferro only passed 12 times.​

New England Patriots: Mike Taliaferro​
It didn’t matter that Taliaerro had stunk it up for the rival Jets through four seasons before he arrived in New England for 1968, when he had four touchdowns to 15 interceptions in seven games and a 26.9 rating. He had an 8-17 record in total through three seasons with the Patriots.​

AFL Teams: Boston Patriots | Chiefs Hall of Honor
In an attempt to trade some of the age for youth and enthusiasm, Mike Holovak deals Babe Parilli to the New York Jets for quarterback Mike Taliaferro. But Taliaferro completes less than 40 percent of his passes and eventually loses his job to rookie Tom Sherman. Few of the other Patriots respond with good seasons. Jim Nance injures an ankle that limits his effectiveness. Bad knees knock defensive end Larry Eisenhauer and middle linebacker Nick Buoniconti out of the lineup for a considerable time. Only tight end Jim Whalen, who makes 47 receptions, is a real threat on a team that finishes with a 4-10 record.​

Nr 17 in New England looks not the right number...

Well...that was a suck-ass day.
Warning: today's will unfortunately be a repeat in terms of quality players - though at least it thankfully won't have anywhere near yesterday's quantity of JAGs.

July 26 Transactions

July 26, 2020:
The New England Patriots announced that they have released nine players: DB Malik Gant, WR Will Hastings, QB Brian Lewerke, DB Adarius Pickett ,WR Sean Riley, QB J'Mar Smith, LB Kyahva Tezino (key-AH-va tuh-ZEENO), DL Courtney Wallace and WR Isaiah Zuber. Hastings, Lewerke, Riley, Smith, Tezino, Wallace and Zuber were signed by New England as rookie free agents on May 5, 2020.​

Nr 17 in New England looks not the right number...
Clive Rush got screwed. With Taliaferro at QB in would concoct an opening TD drive. After that the defense knew what the plan was and he did not have player capable of adjusting. Apparently this drove him over the edge. It was all down hill from the Pats. One of the many lulls in capable quarterbacking.

As usual thanks for the trip down memory lane. :)

The Pats weren't on TV much back during Mike T's playing time so I really can't say I remember much about seeing him play but I can remember people wondering how he pronounced Taliaferro "Toliver". However Seeing Joe Kapp play as a Patriot was just pure ugliness. LOL

On a more positive note, I just found out the Patriots - WFT Game is being televised on the NFL Network which is good news for those of us that don't live in the New England viewing area!

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back