PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

July 11 in Pats History: Former Patriots player shoots policeman in a helicopter

jmt57

Staff member
Reaction score
Okay, a bit disingenuous with the thread title above - perhaps. But wouldn't there be a good possibility that headline would be what we would all see, if the situation happened more currently post all the -gates?

Today in Patriots History
Helicopter-Shooting Steel Curtain DT

There is not much to report for the Pats on July 11 - though I have to admit that I had completely forgotten that Ernie Holmes ever played for the Patriots.

Happy birthday to Ernie Holmes, who would have been 73 today
Born July 11, 1948 in Jamestown, Texas
Patriot DT, 1978; uniform #63
Signed as a free agent on November 30, 1978
Died January 17, 2008 at the age of 59

Ernie Holmes played for Pittsburgh for six seasons, starting 58 games for the Steelers from 1972-1977. He was a crucial part of the famed Steel Curtain defense, where he earned a pair of Super Bowl rings. Due to weight issues Holmes was traded to Tampa Bay for a 10th and 11th round draft pick early in the '78 offseason, but was cut at the end of the Bucs training camp. The fearsome (and unstable) Holmes played in final three games of the 1978 season with the Patriots (plus the Chuck Fairbanks farewell postseason loss to Houston), finishing his NFL career in that New Years Eve loss in Foxboro.

920x920.jpg

Ernie Holmes once told a reporter from Time magazine that he was attracted to the violence of football and that he didn't "mind knocking somebody out."
QB Dan Pastorini described Holmes as the defender that he feared the most.

Ezell Jones, Larry Cowan

Happy 74th birthday to Ezell Jones
Born July 11, 1947 in Collierville, Tennessee
Patriot OT, 1969-170; uniform #74
Acquired in a trade with the Jets on March 24, 1969 for a 1970 5th round draft pick

Ezell Jones was the 104th overall pick by the Jets in 1969, out of Minnesota. He played in 18 games over two seasons with the Patriots, with one fumble recovery, plus a safety in the Pats November 16 25-14 victory at Cincinnati. Jones later returned to Minneapolis where he became a Vice President of Business Development and Relationship Manager for an insurance company in Minnesota.

EJ+Photo.jpg

Happy 61st birthday to Larry Cowan
Born July 11, 1960 in Mobile, Alabama
Patriot RB, 1982; uniform #44
Signed as a free agent on November 23, 1982

Larry Cowan was drafted by Miami in the 7th round in 1982, but only played in two games for the Fins. After the strike ended the Pats signed the Jackson State alum, who played almost exclusively on special teams. Cowan appeared in a total of seven games for the Patriots, including their 28-13 playoff loss at Miami. He then averaged 5.5 yards per carry and caught 101 passes playing for the Edmonton Eskimos in the CFL from 1983 to 1985.

65a399f5838051939d863b627fa29782.jpg

Larry Cowan (31) was just a backup and special teamer in the NFL, but he gained 2,321 yards in three CFL seasons.

July 11, 2013:
Alfonzo Dennard is arrested on suspicion of DUI, refusing a chemical test, and a driving infraction while on probation for a 2012 assault charge. He plead no contest to refusing to submit to a chemical test in exchange for having the DUI case dismissed; was fined $500 and placed on probation. This came five months after being convicted of assaulting a police officer, for an incident that occurred seven days prior to the 2012 NFL draft.

Other pro football players with New England area connections born on this date:

- B.J. Raji, 35 (7/11/86); 9th overall pick of the 2009 draft by Green Bay, by way of Boston College. Raji took an unexpected hiatus in 2017 that turned into a retirement just when a contract extension had been worked out, in order to help his father care for his mother and aunt.

- Jeff Kemp, 62 (7/11/59); son of Jack Kemp, the AFL QB and congressman. The younger Kemp is a Dartmouth grad who had an 11-year NFL career and went 9-4 with the Rams in his only season as a starter.

- John Jenkins, 32 (7/11/89); born and raised in Meriden CT, Jenkins has played in 93 NFL games at nose tackle since 2013.

- Tony Brown (7/11/64-6/19/10); the Stamford CT native played for Buffalo during the '87 strike, and was later blacklisted for a case he took to the Supreme Court against the NFL.

And a few notable pro football players born on this date:

- Andre Johnson, 40 (7/11/81); WR had seven seasons with over 1100 yards receiving.

- Patrick Peterson, 31 (7/11/90); Arizona CB from LSU has been named to the Pro Bowl eight times.

- Willie Anderson, 46 (7/11/75); Cincinnati Bengal All-Pro tackle started 184 NFL games from 1996 to 2008.

- Len Hauss, 79 (7/11/42); five-time Pro Bowl center for Washington started 192 consecutive games from 1964 to 1977.

- Cecil Isbell (1915-1985); 7th overall pick of the 1938 draft set NFL single season records for passing yards and touchdown passes in 1941, and then broke both of his own records the following year.

- Chris Cooley, 39 (7/11/82); Washington TE went to the Pro Bowl in 2007 and 2008, but was more famous for a couple of photographs.

- Jacoby Jones, 37 (7/11/84); WR returned four punts and five kickoffs for NFL touchdowns (ninth most in NFL history), and later returned yet another kickoff for a TD - in Arena Football.

- Dale Hellestrae, 59 (7/11/62); long snapper played in 205 games over 15 seasons, winning three super bowl rings with the Cowboys during a career spanned three decades (1985-2001).

there are a few games from 1978 on youtube ... one of them is the Patriots at cowboys and Ernie Holmes is front and center in some series... you can see him lined up over center in the NT slot, replacing Ray Hamilton... i didnt watch the game with the intent of seeing his contributions though... what i do remember it looked like he was used around the goal line... guess they wanted to give Hamilton a rest? that was a pretty good line though, even without their best player Adams ... Lunsford/McGee/Hamilton/Bishop...

and heres a pic of Ezell Jones, standing sorta next to Gino Cappelletti,,,

YQngpG3.jpg

Okay, a bit disingenuous with the thread title above - perhaps. But wouldn't there be a good possibility that headline would be what we would all see, if the situation happened more currently post all the -gates?

Helicopter-Shooting Steel Curtain DT

There is not much to report for the Pats on July 11 - though I have to admit that I had completely forgotten that Ernie Holmes ever played for the Patriots.

Happy birthday to Ernie Holmes, who would have been 73 today
Born July 11, 1948 in Jamestown, Texas
Patriot DT, 1978; uniform #63
Signed as a free agent on November 30, 1978
Died January 17, 2008 at the age of 59

Ernie Holmes played for Pittsburgh for six seasons, starting 58 games for the Steelers from 1972-1977. He was a crucial part of the famed Steel Curtain defense, where he earned a pair of Super Bowl rings. Due to weight issues Holmes was traded to Tampa Bay for a 10th and 11th round draft pick early in the '78 offseason, but was cut at the end of the Bucs training camp. The fearsome (and unstable) Holmes played in final three games of the 1978 season with the Patriots (plus the Chuck Fairbanks farewell postseason loss to Houston), finishing his NFL career in that New Years Eve loss in Foxboro.

920x920.jpg

Ernie Holmes once told a reporter from Time magazine that he was attracted to the violence of football and that he didn't "mind knocking somebody out."
QB Dan Pastorini described Holmes as the defender that he feared the most.
More accurate identifier is the "FAKE -gates"

Ernie was Julius Adams' friend - I believe a large factor in Fairbanks' decision to bring him here.

That Thanksgiving I remember Ernie was so upset at not having a job he ate an entire turkey.

BTW in addition to the losses of Darryl and John Smith, the '78 team was devastated by Julius going down for the year in Week 1.

I remember Holmes having his head shaved into an arrow in '74 "to point us on the road to the Super Bowl"

They're our opponents and they really suck now, crybabying since we almost always beat them, and their last two titles were gifted to them by the officials; but the Immaculate Reception like the Tuck Rule was a correctly called legal play; and they agreed right away we got jobbed in Oakland in '76.

there are a few games from 1978 on youtube ... one of them is the Patriots at cowboys and Ernie Holmes is front and center in some series... you can see him lined up over center in the NT slot, replacing Ray Hamilton... i didnt watch the game with the intent of seeing his contributions though... what i do remember it looked like he was used around the goal line... guess they wanted to give Hamilton a rest? that was a pretty good line though, even without their best player Adams ... Lunsford/McGee/Hamilton/Bishop...

and heres a pic of Ezell Jones, standing sorta next to Gino Cappelletti,,,

YQngpG3.jpg
We lost in Dallas because of all the missed short range field goals

Dave Posey had a bad day
I would be really interested in finding out the reason why Chuck Fairbanks decided to cut Lowery and instead go with David Posey at kicker.

In his first game with the Pats Lowery went 3/3 on extra points (no field goal attempts), then 4/4 on XP and 0-1 on FG attempts. The Patriots won both games; two days before the next game they signed Posey. While Lowery's only NFL experience at that point was those two games, it was two more than Posey had. In 1977 Posey had been with the 49ers and Lions in the offseason, and with Atlanta during the '78 offseason, but was released all three times before the regular season began. It wasn't as if the team was signing a long time veteran over a rookie.

There is one line in this article - one of the few that I could find in regards to Lowery/Posey - that suggests maybe it was immaturity, or nerves? An off field incident? Impossible to say for sure, I'm just speculating.

Lowery’s journey was one of persistence. Lowery recalled, “I went through a lot of rejection before I finally made it.” He continued, “I graduated in 1978. I signed with the Jets. I did well, but I screwed up in the third preseason game and they cut me. I went up to Dartmouth to do some theatre and language stuff. I got a job as a waiter. The opportunity with the New England Patriots came.” Patriots’ kicker John Smith suffered a thigh injury and was out. After he finished his shift at the restaurant, Lowery drove to Foxboro. Lowery continued, “I literally showed up on their doorstep in the fading light at Foxboro. Luckily, [head coach] Chuck Fairbanks was still there. I convinced him to take a look at me. I kicked lights out. A week later, they signed me. I played two games for the Patriots. We beat Oakland, in Oakland. It went down to the last few minutes. A guy by the name of Steve Grogan ran 22 yards down to the two-yard line with about a minute left. We scored a touchdown. Otherwise, I would have had to try a 42-yard field goal to beat the Raiders. We won both games, the next week against San Diego. But, I wasn’t ready for prime time yet, and they cut me. A lot of my story, to me, is how if you keep putting yourself out there, that is the only way to make it in the NFL. Whether you are a number one pick, or if you are somebody who didn’t even get drafted, like myself. It takes a while to get used to that level of pressure. You have to learn a lot about yourself.” Lowery was replaced by David Posey.​

Bottom line is that Posey was just as likely to miss than connect, going 11 for 22 on field goal attempts (including that one-for-four game against Dallas) that year, and also missed a couple of extra points. There were also two other games with Posey kicking that the Pats were fortunate to win. Week 12 at the Jets he missed a field goal and an extra point in a 19-17 game, and in week 15 the Pats beat Buffalo 26-24 despite Posey missing one of his two field goal tries.

I would be really interested in finding out the reason why Chuck Fairbanks decided to cut Lowery and instead go with David Posey at kicker.

In his first game with the Pats Lowery went 3/3 on extra points (no field goal attempts), then 4/4 on XP and 0-1 on FG attempts. The Patriots won both games; two days before the next game they signed Posey. While Lowery's only NFL experience at that point was those two games, it was two more than Posey had. In 1977 Posey had been with the 49ers and Lions in the offseason, and with Atlanta during the '78 offseason, but was released all three times before the regular season began. It wasn't as if the team was signing a long time veteran over a rookie.

There is one line in this article - one of the few that I could find in regards to Lowery/Posey - that suggests maybe it was immaturity, or nerves? An off field incident? Impossible to say for sure, I'm just speculating.

Lowery’s journey was one of persistence. Lowery recalled, “I went through a lot of rejection before I finally made it.” He continued, “I graduated in 1978. I signed with the Jets. I did well, but I screwed up in the third preseason game and they cut me. I went up to Dartmouth to do some theatre and language stuff. I got a job as a waiter. The opportunity with the New England Patriots came.” Patriots’ kicker John Smith suffered a thigh injury and was out. After he finished his shift at the restaurant, Lowery drove to Foxboro. Lowery continued, “I literally showed up on their doorstep in the fading light at Foxboro. Luckily, [head coach] Chuck Fairbanks was still there. I convinced him to take a look at me. I kicked lights out. A week later, they signed me. I played two games for the Patriots. We beat Oakland, in Oakland. It went down to the last few minutes. A guy by the name of Steve Grogan ran 22 yards down to the two-yard line with about a minute left. We scored a touchdown. Otherwise, I would have had to try a 42-yard field goal to beat the Raiders. We won both games, the next week against San Diego. But, I wasn’t ready for prime time yet, and they cut me. A lot of my story, to me, is how if you keep putting yourself out there, that is the only way to make it in the NFL. Whether you are a number one pick, or if you are somebody who didn’t even get drafted, like myself. It takes a while to get used to that level of pressure. You have to learn a lot about yourself.” Lowery was replaced by David Posey.​

Bottom line is that Posey was just as likely to miss than connect, going 11 for 22 on field goal attempts (including that one-for-four game against Dallas) that year, and also missed a couple of extra points. There were also two other games with Posey kicking that the Pats were fortunate to win. Week 12 at the Jets he missed a field goal and an extra point in a 19-17 game, and in week 15 the Pats beat Buffalo 26-24 despite Posey missing one of his two field goal tries.
That is an interesting question...

found this SI article

in it was this tidbit
"In two games with New England he made seven conversions but fell short on a 45-yard field-goal try and did poorly on kickoffs. "Strictly a mechanical problem," he insisted at the time, but the Pats brought in David Posey, and Lowery headed home to McLean."

sounds like the missed kick combined with some bad kickoffs did him in. Lowery was 0-1 in New England on FG attempts. Not that Posey was any better, especially on the FGAs. Unfortunately, the kick stats etc from that era are sorely lacking.

That is an interesting question...

found this SI article

in it was this tidbit
"In two games with New England he made seven conversions but fell short on a 45-yard field-goal try and did poorly on kickoffs. "Strictly a mechanical problem," he insisted at the time, but the Pats brought in David Posey, and Lowery headed home to McLean."

sounds like the missed kick combined with some bad kickoffs did him in. Lowery was 0-1 in New England on FG attempts. Not that Posey was any better, especially on the FGAs. Unfortunately, the kick stats etc from that era are sorely lacking.
It's one of those things.

The Karma was SO BAD in Miami that last Monday night, I wanted Bullough & Earhart to sit Grogan in a mostly meaningless game, especially with guys crying in the locker room when they were told about Chuck. Sure enough he got hurt. Steve shouldn't have even played against the Oilers. Ironically a year later Gifford Nielson led them to a major upset over the top seeded Chargers. And of Course Reich qb'd the comeback in Buffalo. So I guess I'm saying I prefer to play the guy who's healthy.

Unless it's Tony Eason or Drew Bledsoe. Bada Bing! Thank you, I'm here all week.

Anyway, Parcells had success with his kickers, Bahr and Vinatieri. Belichick too - except those multiple suicidal decisions in the big playoff games to go for it well within Ghost's range.

Belichick too - except those multiple suicidal decisions in the big playoff games to go for it well within Ghost's range.
There were some games though, that you just knew gostkowski was going to miss his kicks... A lot of those bb decisions were based on his lack of trust in gostkowski

There were some games though, that you just knew gostkowski was going to miss his kicks... A lot of those bb decisions were based on his lack of trust in gostkowski
Two way street.

Vinatieri's biggest kicks often came after he'd missed earlier in the game.

The odds of Gostkowski missing again in the same game, thus having a total meltdown, were miniscule. Repeatedly making a quarterback who's done his job and got his offense safely in field goal range stay in there and try to convert an unlikely at best fourth down, essentially taking your own points off the scoreboard, is too much for even Tom Brady to overcome.

And while we're on the subject, if Bill drafted A.J. instead of Harry, Tom might still be here.

And while we're on the subject, if Bill drafted A.J. instead of Harry, Tom might still be here.

i didnt trust gostkowski, so maybe i look at it differently...

as for the quoted statement, no comment... those conversations can get toxic right quick

Sorry about that. I disagree. BB screwed that up in SB42. And along with jeopardizing the perfect season, he hurt the kid's confidence.

as for the quoted statement, no comment... those conversations can get toxic right quick
I suppose they don't have a vaccine for that...I'm just a big baby and I wish we drafted AJ. Rant over.

My wife would tell me she hates Gostkowski because he always misses in the playoffs in the big moments. I reassured her that he doesn’t actually have playoff woes, that stats prove it, unrealistic expectations, confirmation bias etc. Then he missed the kick.

That happened like four times.

Last edited:
My wife would tell me she hates Gostkowski because he always misses in the playoffs in the big moments. I reassured her that he doesn’t actually have playoff woes, that stats prove it, unrealistic expectations, confirmation bias etc. Then he missed the kick.

sometimes all the good a player has done can be undone by misses or mistakes,

And that can and does affect the perception of the player regardless of what his stat sheet looks like.

Do the dynamics of LII change if he makes those kicks early on? It might have.

Do the dynamics of the Denver game change of he makes the pat> It might have.

He was money for so long that when he started it miss, it was magnified. So it got to the point that I was fully expecting him to miss kicks ... ie i didnt trust him.

Ghost was clutch in '06.

Belichick screwed up SB42. He pretended he didn't have a kicker, or that the kid sucked, in any case that decision took points off the scoreboard, took confidence away from the offense and gave confidence to the Giants' defense, created a hurdle for Gostkowski to overcome in becoming a pressure kicker, and like everything else that day gave the Giants the chance to do the one single thing they did well that whole season: rush the quarterback.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Back