Born July 10, 1984 in Dusseldorf, Germany
Patriot OT, 2009-2016; uniform #76
Pats 2nd round (58th overall) selection of the 2009 draft, from Houston
  • 88 regular season games played, with 80 starts
  • 10 playoff games, all as a starter
  • two Super Bowl rings (SB49, SB51)
  • 2nd team All Pro, 2010

May 16, 2017:

Sebastian Vollmer spent seven years playing tackle for the New England Patriots. When Vollmer was on the team, the Patriots listed him at 6-foot-8 and 320 pounds.​
Vollmer dealt with various injuries throughout the 2016 offseason, and toward the end of training camp, the Patriots placed him on the physically unable to perform list. That move mandated that he miss the first six games of the season, but the seriousness of his hip and shoulder issues wound up keeping him out for the entire season anyway. Vollmer was then released in March.​
He surfaced again on Tuesday for an interview with Sirius XM NFL Radio, and well, he's down from 320 pounds to 245 pounds. Check it:​

March 18, 2019:

July 21, 2018:

Vollmer, like Ninkovich, has remained in the New England area and is just starting to find his post-football life. He works out first thing each morning, spends lots of time with his wife and young kids, and works with a few charities and local businesses. Vollmer also moonlights as an NFL broadcaster for German-language TV back in his home country.​
“We all played for a long time, assumed a risk to a certain degree, but I can’t worry about it. I can’t worry today what might happen tomorrow in 10, 20, 50 years,” he said. “Yeah, you probably try to stay active. But I think even if you didn’t play, you shouldn’t give up on reading and Sudoku.”​
He carries plenty of pain from his eight NFL seasons — lingering back, shoulder and hip injuries, a broken leg, arthritis. But he is also fit and trim — he lost so much weight right after retirement, 75 pounds, that he has put about 15 back on.​
“Certain things I won’t be able to do and I’m in pain every day, but there’s also a lot of things I can do, so I try to concentrate on the good things, and that’s the way I’m doing it,” he said. Football “worked for me, and I don’t regret it one bit.”​

evqgpmqbdmmtztjshmva.jpg

fzaio9fkzcxrilf7cq8x.jpg

xmifcnya3ywj0vbgylto.jpg

m36ycj4ijnrdsvuhaza1.jpg

wa9dtlcepsnjqw9k64mf.jpg

nbh0nup5xxtp5cuefime.jpg

i0zqywo7xtmgvfc9xocj.jpg

drcyhc7yqnw6rf5gjszu.jpg

Tom Brady Tries to Speak German in Sebastian Vollmer's School of German

Tom Brady Learns to Yell in German | Vollmer’s School of German

Today in Patriots History
David Andrews

Happy 29th birthday to David Andrews
Born July 10, 1992 in Jones Creek, Georgia
Patriot center, 2015-present; uniform #60
Acquired as an undrafted rookie free agent on May 8, 2015, from Georgia

598a8fe000152.image.jpg

David Andrews has played in 72 regular season games with 69 starts over six seasons with the Patriots. He is also played in eleven playoff games, with the Pats going 9-2 in those contests. With the exception of 2019 (when he missed the entire season due to career threatening blood clots in his lungs), Andrews has been a steady performer, anchoring the New England offensive line. In those five other seasons he has played in 83 out of 92 games, logging 4,694 offensive snaps.

The Patriots signed David to a three year, $9 million contract extension after his second year in the NFL, and this past offseason fans were happy to see that New England avoided a free agent loss by re-signing him to a four year, $19 million contract through the 2024 season.

2014: On a Georgia Bulldogs team that included Todd Gurley, Nick Chubb and Malcolm Mitchell, David Andrews was team's highest individual award.

Jan 30, 2018:

Jan 23, 2019:

Feb 5, 2019:

March 11, 2019:

March 20, 2020:

March 18, 2021:

March 20, 2021:

7215124.jpg

3702963.jpg

3093087.jpg

3968088.jpg

8768240.png

9209076.png

5a70cb5e87f03.image.jpg

ZEMJF6A5GUI6TOCUOD3BSO7MVQ.jpg

Akeem Ayers

Happy 32nd birthday to Akeem Ayers
Born July 10, 1989 in Los Angeles
Patriot LB, 2014; uniform #52
Acquired in a trade with Tennessee on October 21, 2014

Prior to week eight of the 2014 season, after Jerod Mayo was placed on injured reserve the Patriots acquired Akeem Ayers and a seventh round pick, in exchange for only a sixth round draft pick. Even though he was a one-year rental, that was an incredibly good deal.

After having been inactive in five out of seven games with the Titans, Ayers played in all remaining nine games for the Pats, with four starts, In that time he had four sacks, 22 total tackles, one interception and one pass defensed. Akeem was on the field for 382 defensive snaps in those nine games with the Patriots, including a high of 74 in a 43-21 victory over Denver. Ayers also played in all three playoff games, earning a ring for the Super Bowl victory over Seattle (including making the tackle on Marshawn Lynch at the one yard line).

GettyImages-464325894.jpg

Early in 2015 free agency Ayers signed with the Rams; he last played with the Giants late in 2017. The Pats had brought Ayers in for a workout early in the 2017 season, but did not sign him. Akeem Ayers played in 100 NFL games over seven NFL seasons, recording 320 tackles and 15½ sacks.

Check out Ayers' autobiography here: Proving Myself | The Players' Tribune

Oct 21, 2014:

March 12, 2015:

Sept 1, 2015:

Oct 8, 2016:

Jan 6, 2018:

Jan 24, 2015 foreshadowing:

aa70616f-120714-NFL-cali-cool-LN-PI.jpg

Training Camp at Bryant College

D_IJy1jXkAAqiGc.jpg

July 10, 1976: the first day the Pats ever trained at Bryant College (1976-2002)

Happy 33rd birthday to Antonio Brown
Born July 10, 1988 in Miami
Patriot WR, 2019; uniform #17
Signed as a free agent on September 20, 2019

12714939_web1_12714939-32177257c9434beba8826875510daf08.jpg

For all that has been written about AB, it is easy to overlook the fact that he only played one game for the Patriots. I would have really loved to have seen what the Pats could have accomplished with him, Josh Gordon and Julian Edelman for a full 2019 season. The four-time All Pro, seven-time Pro Bowler ranks second among active NFL players with 886 receptions, and third with 11,746 yards receiving.

13364012.jpg

Happy 59th birthday to Mike Saxon
Born July 10, 1962 in Whittier, CA
Patriot P, 1993; uniform #7
Signed as a free agent on July 26, 1993

The Patriots signed Mike Saxon near the end of the 1993 training camp, after he had spent eight seasons with Dallas. He punted 73 times at an average of 42.4 yards that season for Bill Parcells' 5-11 team. Saxon returned to training camp with the Pats in 1994, but was beat out for the job by rookie fifth round draft pick Pat O'Neill. Saxon played in 172 regular season games and seven playoff games in his 11-year NFL career, averaging 41.7 yards per punt. He also played in seven playoff games, including Dallas' 52-17 victory over Buffalo in Super Bowl 27.

Mike Saxon Roofing & Construction

sep-1993-high-kicks-from-punter-mike-saxon-werent-enough-for-the-new-picture-id222557

One NFL Game, Two Super Bowl Rings

Happy 30th birthday to Caylin Hauptmann
Born July 10, 1991 in Los Angeles
Patriot OT, 2014-2015; uniform #68
Signed as a free agent to the practice squad on September 16, 2014

The Patriots signed Hauptmann to the practice squad just after week two in 2014, where he remained for all but one week of the rest of the season. The Pats brought him back to training camp in 2015, but he was released as part of the final roster cuts - ten days after being removed from the NFI list. Hauptmann has also been with the Browns, Seahawks and Bucs, but has only one game played on his official NFL stat line. Despite that he owns two Super Bowl rings: one with Seattle in 2013, where he was a healthy scratch for most of the season, and one with the Patriots for Super Bowl 49. Hauptmann's last appearance in the NFL was in Tampa's 2016 training camp.

Jan 23, 2014:

Happy 37th birthday to Marcus Harrison
Born July 10, 1984 in Little Rock
Patriot DT, 2011; uniform #94

After Mike Wright was placed on injured reserve in October of 2011, the Patriots signed the former Chicago Bear. He lasted all of 24 hours on the roster, replaced the next day by Sterling Moore. Marcus Harrison was re-signed the following March, but was released at the end of training camp. Harrison played in 37 NFL games from 2008-10 for Chicago, with nine starts.

July 10, 2007
Patriots re-sign unrestricted free agent Troy Brown to a one-year contract. 2007 would be his 15th and final season playing for the New England Patriots.

July 10, 1987:
Patriots re-sign free agent Rich Camarillo. From 1981-87 he ranked in the top ten in yards per punt five times for the Pats, and was long considered to be the best punter in the history of the franchise.

July 10, 1972:
New England re-signs five players: kicker Charlie Gogolak, WR Eric Crabtree, OL Mike Montler, WR Reggie Rucker and TE Roland Moss.

One other local New England area football player with a great story that was born on this date:

- Mark Roopenian, 63 (July 10, 1958); grew up in Watertown and then played a different position (TE, C, ILB and DT) in each of his four years at Boston College. As an undrafted rookie in 1982 he improbably impressed the Bills' coaches to land a roster spot - helped out in part by standing toe to toe and holding his own in one-on-one drills against the infamous Conrad Dobler. Roopenian played nose tackle, some defensive end and special teams for Buffalo.

Unfortunately on the opening kickoff of the third game of the '83 season he suffered a severe neck injury which ended his pro football playing days. In his post-football life Roopenian has had a very successful business career, directing the leasing, marketing and asset management of buildings such as the John Hancock Tower and International Place.

Mark Roopenian | LinkedIn

From the way-back machine:
- Harry Wynne (1920-1989); end and defensive end played a couple years of pro football. In 1944 he had ten receptions for 205 yards with the Boston Yanks, third most on the club that year.

Some other pro football players who were born on July 10:
- Roger Craig, 61 (7/10/60); four-time Pro Bowl running back won three rings with the Niners. He led the NFL with 2,036 yards from scrimmage in 1988, and in receptions with 92 in 1985.

- Darryl Talley, 61 (7/10/60); two-time Pro Bowl OLB played in 216 NFL games, mostly with Buffalo. He had 38½ career sacks and also played in 18 playoff games, but is now another victim of health issues many former players face.

- Brent Alexander, 50 (7/10/71); safety played in 192 NFL games from 1994 to 2005, and once had a streak of 133 consecutive starts.

- Toni Fritsch (1945-2005); was a soccer player in Austria before joining the NFL and leading the league in field goal percentage three times with the Houston Oilers.

- Bill Gramatica, 43 (7/10/78); Martin's younger brother is most well known for an over the top celebration gone bad, following a successful first quarter field goal attempt.

Sea Bass

Happy 37th birthday to Sebastian Vollmer
Born July 10, 1984 in Dusseldorf, Germany
Patriot OT, 2009-2016; uniform #76
Pats 2nd round (58th overall) selection of the 2009 draft, from Houston
  • 88 regular season games played, with 80 starts
  • 10 playoff games, all as a starter
  • two Super Bowl rings (SB49, SB51)
  • 2nd team All Pro, 2010

May 16, 2017:

Sebastian Vollmer spent seven years playing tackle for the New England Patriots. When Vollmer was on the team, the Patriots listed him at 6-foot-8 and 320 pounds.​
Vollmer dealt with various injuries throughout the 2016 offseason, and toward the end of training camp, the Patriots placed him on the physically unable to perform list. That move mandated that he miss the first six games of the season, but the seriousness of his hip and shoulder issues wound up keeping him out for the entire season anyway. Vollmer was then released in March.​
He surfaced again on Tuesday for an interview with Sirius XM NFL Radio, and well, he's down from 320 pounds to 245 pounds. Check it:​

March 18, 2019:

July 21, 2018:

Vollmer, like Ninkovich, has remained in the New England area and is just starting to find his post-football life. He works out first thing each morning, spends lots of time with his wife and young kids, and works with a few charities and local businesses. Vollmer also moonlights as an NFL broadcaster for German-language TV back in his home country.​
“We all played for a long time, assumed a risk to a certain degree, but I can’t worry about it. I can’t worry today what might happen tomorrow in 10, 20, 50 years,” he said. “Yeah, you probably try to stay active. But I think even if you didn’t play, you shouldn’t give up on reading and Sudoku.”​
He carries plenty of pain from his eight NFL seasons — lingering back, shoulder and hip injuries, a broken leg, arthritis. But he is also fit and trim — he lost so much weight right after retirement, 75 pounds, that he has put about 15 back on.​
“Certain things I won’t be able to do and I’m in pain every day, but there’s also a lot of things I can do, so I try to concentrate on the good things, and that’s the way I’m doing it,” he said. Football “worked for me, and I don’t regret it one bit.”​

evqgpmqbdmmtztjshmva.jpg

fzaio9fkzcxrilf7cq8x.jpg

xmifcnya3ywj0vbgylto.jpg

m36ycj4ijnrdsvuhaza1.jpg

wa9dtlcepsnjqw9k64mf.jpg

nbh0nup5xxtp5cuefime.jpg

i0zqywo7xtmgvfc9xocj.jpg

drcyhc7yqnw6rf5gjszu.jpg

Tom Brady Tries to Speak German in Sebastian Vollmer's School of German

Tom Brady Learns to Yell in German | Vollmer’s School of German

Those Vollmer school videos are hilarious.

TB - I can speak German.

SV - What?

TB - Volkswagen...... Sauerkraut

Hahaha

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing