PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jets predicament

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lamanai

On the Game Day Roster
Reaction score
Looking ahead to next season, the Jets truly are screwed.

Currently, they have $142 million committed in 2013..to just 39 players (according to Jason's website) The projected cap is about $121 million, so the Jets need to carve out at least $21 million just to get under, let alone fill up their 53-man roster. *Getting under the cap might actually be their easiest task. *Cutting useless parts, Jason Smith ($12m), Calvin Pace ($8.6m) and Bart Scott ($7.1m) gets them down to $114m, or $7m under. they may have some carryover from this year, but that remains to be seen. *However, that leaves them with the following openings (lost starters):

RB
TE
RT
RG
LG
RDE
OLB
SS
FS

I suppose some of those 36 remaining players inherit starting roles, but that wouldn't inspire me if I were a Jets fan. *In addition, they are stuck with Sanchez since it would be too significant a cap hit to dump him! $4.3 million I believe. *So then you can add QB to their needs. They can unload Santonio Holmes for a marginal cap savings of $1.2m, but that leaves them looking for another WR and only 34/35 players under contract. *Oh, that doesn't even consider Revis, who is coming off knee surgery but will likely be looking to renegotiate for big $$$.

The good news is...Pioli might be available!

I think some heads are going to roll after the season ends. I'm guessing Tannenbaum gets canned, but we'll just have to sit back and enjoy the show, and see how it plays out.

I think some heads are going to roll after the season ends. I'm guessing Tannenbaum gets canned, but we'll just have to sit back and enjoy the show, and see how it plays out.

I for one am grateful to the Jets... they are everything I don't ever want the Patriots to become. :D

The Jets are who we thought they were. No predictament. They got lucky to make the playoffs in 09. Everybody lost in front of them who had to. Indy handed them a win. I give them credit for a good 2010 season. But, they acquired a bunch of vets that year they wouldn't have been able to do because of no cap that year. They dump some contracts to avoid dead money. Should have been illegal. But, hey Goodell's favorite team. Enjoy your anonymity New York. It's dark, cold and awfully quiet there. Well, excpet for Rex's big, fat mouth it's quiet. He's got another year left and he goes on the Richie Kotite Scrapheap too.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye