Jerry Rice = Rookie Bust

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remix 6

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
Reaction score
since many are down on CJ's playing time or involvment

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/2006/11/17/ramblings/too-deep-zone/4554

tells about Rice's rooke year..26 catches through 11 games but he dropped 10. yes that more catches than Jackson but he turned out great..can we give him a chance to play first? I've seen CJ more on field last game..even though it was run plays..he was out there at least

Remix 6 said:

tells about Rice's rooke year..26 catches through 11 games but he dropped 10. yes that more catches than Jackson but he turned out great..can we give him a chance to play first? I've seen CJ more on field last game..even though it was run plays..he was out there at least
That's right. Also, in Rice's second year, he dropped a throw from Montana on the first drive on which he was open by ten yards, and Joe threw it perfectly. 49ers went on to lose 49 - 3. Sure, a blowout, but who knows if the 49ers had gone up 7 - 0 what might have happened. Terrell Owens has also always dropped a lot of easy catches. I think what people are saying here though is that CJ may not be learning the plays like he should yet.

Until we hear his teammate's discussing Chad's work ethic in reverential tones I don't think any Jerry Rice comparison is fair

You can apply the "if he picks up Jerry Rice's legendary work ethic" argument to make anyone a good player.

TomBrady'sGoat said:
Until we hear his teammate's discussing Chad's work ethic in reverential tones I don't think any Jerry Rice comparison is fair

You can apply the "if he picks up Jerry Rice's legendary work ethic" argument to make anyone a good player.

my point of bringing this up isnt because of anything Chad has done or has not. just showing people a great WR doesnt need to be great and very involved in his first year. give him time..BB knows what hes got in Chad

TomBrady'sGoat said:

MAybe not quite reverential, but Chad Jackson's work ethic has been brought up CONTINUALLY by the vets and by BB. Also, please post the articles from Rice's ROOKIE SEASON where his veteran teammates spoke reverentially about his work ethic. Give me a break.

ATippett56 said:
However at the end of the 1985 season, Jerry Rice finished with 49 receptions for 927 yards for a nifty 18.9 yards per catch.

http://www.profootballreference.com/teams/sfo1985.htm

I would hardly consider Jerry Rice's rookie season a bust. Sounds like revisionist history to me.

stats dont tell everything. he dropped way too many balls as a rookie

are there any highly touted receivers who were rookie busts as well as actual busts ? or are we just comparing jackson to rice and wayne in their rookie yrs

Can we stop the insanity??!!

It's way too early to say bust or potential superstar. Is there some reason we can't give the guy a year to adapt to the NFL, see if he grows, and reserve judgment for another year?

name 3 good rookie receivers.

onegameatatime said:
Can we stop the insanity??!!

It's way too early to say bust or potential superstar. Is there some reason we can't give the guy a year to adapt to the NFL, see if he grows, and reserve judgment for another year?
I agree. This thread is completely worthless. As football fans, one has to wait until the completion of a player's third season to determine whether he is a bust.

Last edited:
So now he's being compared to Rice? His legend grows with each passing week. A few more games and he's Moses.

Last edited:
Remix 6 said:

WHOA WHOA WHOA!

Didn't you read the sticky about Pats rookies? You cannot exercise restraint in discussing them! They are steals or busts. What's wrong with you? Alternating each week between steal and bust is acceptable, but you can never, never, NEVER point out that the first year does not always determine the final resuslt, and that most great players were not that great their first year.

This input of fact is UNACCEPTABLE. You can only compare a Jackson's rookie year to Rice's ENTIRE BODY OF WORK, never to just rice's rookie year, as TomBradysGhost has correctly pointed out. Remember: When you say that Jerry Rice or Adam Vinatieri (or any other player) struggled in his first couple of years, you are actually claiming that Jackson, Gostkowski etc are are good as Rice etc

We'll let you lapse of judgment slide this time, but watch it in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents