PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

JE11: Are We Back...

We should not over react to one game positive or negative.

The offense has a a very limited arsenal. They can not seem to threaten deep outside or even between the hashes.
They do not have a rb who can run outside the hashes. Limited speed everywhere.
Makes it very easy for defenses to defend.

If Mac can consistently start hitting >20 yard passes (not including run after catch), then perhaps we can start to hope for better days.
So you didn’t overreact negatively after the Dallas or New Orleans game?

Both RBs can run outside the hashes and we gave always balanced that with end around jet sweep type plays as well.

What team do you think consistently hits >20 yard passes not counting run after catch?

Milano and Oliver were huge losses for them.

But remember, the Bills we know from the last several years haven't had Tre White.

He got hurt before their famous 13 seconds left loss to KC.

He didn't play until the very end of last year. And he was a shell of himself in his first couple of games this year. At his point, a guy who is older, who has missed out on 2 1/2 seasons, a guy with 2 major injuries, I don't think he would qualify as "missing." He's more of a Donte Hightower or Stephon Gilmore in 2021 type.

Milano and Oliver were indeed big losses for them.
Yes as great white was an all pro prior to the injury. I believe it was at the Saints he got hurt in the 2021 season? Oliver and Milano absolutely were huge for them the equivalent of judon and gonzo for us. Plus we didn't have Uche or Keon white up front. However Buffalo was at full strength on offense. They should have easily put up 35 on us. But the defense battled with who they had out there. Peppers is one of the leagues best hard hitting safeties. He needs to start getting his recognition he is the attitude on defense. Tre white was getting back to form earlier this season prior to him going down again with the Achilles. I feel for him.. he's one of the good guys in the league on and off the field.

He didn't play until the very end of last year. And he was a shell of himself in his first couple of games this year. At his point, a guy who is older, who has missed out on 2 1/2 seasons, a guy with 2 major injuries, I don't think he would qualify as "missing." He's more of a Donte Hightower or Stephon Gilmore in 2021 type.
Yet how many times have you cited the loss of Hightower in 2020 as an excuse?

One thing in particular that was a noticeable improvement was the play of Sack Jones... I suppose he's earned the right to be called Mac this week... he didn't make any stupid, boneheaded plays, stepped into his throws for the most part, and was decently accurate... The continuing emergence of Pop Douglas will only help that moving forward... The most critical factor in Macs play this week was he didn't turn the ball over... No pick 6's... no fumbles or interceptions on bad sacks when things mattered most... Amazing how much more competitive a team can be when you don't start the game in a 10-0 hole... And he legit lead this team down the field in the last few minutes and scored a TD ( btw, nice catch Gesicki! ) to seal the win... Good on him... More of that in the future please...
Please note that Mac did fumble the ball (recovered by Onwenu), but that was offset by IC flag on buf. Regardless, that was a great outing and hopefully a huge confidence builder.

Please note that Mac did fumble the ball (recovered by Onwenu), but that was offset by IC flag on buf. Regardless, that was a great outing and hopefully a huge confidence builder.
yes... i was/am willing to let it slide because 1) it wasn't listed on the official stat sheet and 2) he didn't turn another game into a clusterhump in the first quarter...

Yet how many times have you cited the loss of Hightower in 2020 as an excuse?
Excuse for what?

2020?

NEVER.

In any case, I genuinely have no idea what point you're making.

This is a discussion of the Bills being without their top players on D, like Tre White.

Here I am saying that White is a shell of himself and doesn't count as a loss. Just like Hightower in 2021.

If anything, that reinforces what I've been saying about the Patriots transition: old and injured players contribute to the decline in talent.

The Bills replaced Tre White with Christian Benford and Dane Jackson. This is a decrease in talent when compared to Tre White of 2021. Jut like the Patriots loss of Hightower and others meant a loss of talent for the Patriots.

What point are you making anyway?

Make no sense.

yes... i was/am willing to let it slide because 1) it wasn't listed on the official stat sheet and 2) he didn't turn another game into a clusterhump in the first quarter...
I agree with one of your earlier posts that Mac has pocket awareness issues. And of course a lot of that is directly related to the offensive line, I guess Mac needs a solid line to function because he’s not going to scare anyone with running and he’s not as cerebral as Brady. Right now I’m ok with the short stuff even if the line is playing well…just as long as we move the ball.

Excuse for what?

2020?

NEVER.

In any case, I genuinely have no idea what point you're making.

This is a discussion of the Bills being without their top players on D, like Tre White.

Here I am saying that White is a shell of himself and doesn't count as a loss. Just like Hightower in 2021.

If anything, that reinforces what I've been saying about the Patriots transition: old and injured players contribute to the decline in talent.

The Bills replaced Tre White with Christian Benford and Dane Jackson. This is a decrease in talent when compared to Tre White of 2021. Jut like the Patriots loss of Hightower and others meant a loss of talent for the Patriots.

What point are you making anyway?

Make no sense.

You’ve repeated many times that 2020 wasn’t Bill’s fault and cited the untimely loss of Hightower as one of your major bullet points. Don’t deny as it just looks worse. Now you’re downplaying 2020 Hightower to make the point that the Bills losses weren’t that impactful. You know the point. You’ve spent years and years making the same pretzel twisting arguments to in any way you can to stan for Bill Belichick.

You’ve repeated many times that 2020 wasn’t Bill’s fault and cited the untimely loss of Hightower as one of your major bullet points. Don’t deny as it just looks worse. Now you’re downplaying 2020 Hightower to make the point that the Bills losses weren’t that impactful. You know the point. You’ve spent years and years making the same pretzel twisting arguments to in any way you can to stan for Bill Belichick.
What a deranged post.

No, I didn't cite the loss of Hightower. I don't even know why you believe 2020 was anyone's fault.

You're the sort of spoiled bratty fan who knows nothing about the NFL and who expected the winning would last forever. Grow up.

The point I was making was absolutely evident to those who responded to my post. Tre White is not who he used to be. The Bills lost the impactful Tre White 3 years ago. Just like the Patriots lost the impactful Hightower years earlier than 2021. This is obvious.

One good thing about week 7 was the Broncos, Giants, and Bears also winning.....

It keeps us in the running for a top pick as long as the Cardinals, Panthers, and the Bears will keep winning games also...

I also want to see Justin Fields to get back onto the field and kick ass...ditto for Kyler Murray. To take three draft picks (Bears, Cardinals, and Carolina) out of the QB derby....

One good thing about week 7 was the Broncos, Giants, and Bears also winning.....

It keeps us in the running for a top pick as long as the Cardinals, Panthers, and the Bears will keep winning games also...

I also want to see Justin Fields to get back onto the field and kick ass...ditto for Kyler Murray. To take three draft picks (Bears, Cardinals, and Carolina) out of the QB derby....
Its way too early, but the Bears might have a QB in Bagnet who is more of a traditional pocket QB who can scramble.

Carolina is interesting, because the Panthers are pretty bad but they gave up a huge amount to pick first last year so I'm sure they're gonna want to try to stick with him for at least another year?

So what did this game mean? Should I change my views based on this one game?

1) Obviously, we want to avoid putting too much weight on one game, so let's get that out of the way, but "We'll it was just one game, so I can't draw any conclusion at all." is just as lazy and erroneous a take as "Based on what I saw, we are Super Bowl bound and Mac is TB12 reborn." So,

2) Mac played a good game, a really good game, arguably. His stats are sound - it's particularly gratifying to see zero turnovers, which was a point of emphasis for him - and in the "critical moments," he really did come through, in contradiction of his critics' view that he is incapable of rising to such occasions. People who claim the performance means nothing and those who damn it with faint praise are full of it, likely more interested in defending their pre-game evaluations than in actually learning from the game and Mac's performance. He had a good game in a fashion of his detractors have deemed him incapable. That's meaningful. Does it mean he is for sure a "franchise quarterback"? Nope, not yet, at all. Does it mean they should now sign him to a long-term deal enshrining him as our can't-fail qb for the next 20 years? Nope. But he had a good game, which certainly suggest he has more potential than the haters have said. Add to what we saw Sunday that he has had the most ill-managed opportunity to show what he can do I can remember any rookie qb ever having, that he has been the victim of gross incompetence on the part of his GM, arguable of his HC, and there is a legitimate basis for optimism.

3) My take on the whole Belichick issue is unaffected by this game. Bill has been, over the past several years, a fireably incompetent GM. He must be deprived of this position's responsibilities immediately, entirely, and in perpetuity. If that means we lose his services also as HC, I don't much care. I am firmly of the opinion that he has shown significant decline in that area of his responsibilities as well, not only re Mac, but with respect to in-game decisions, inconsistency in the quality of game-planning, unaccountably weird and self-defeating personnel decisions, etc.

4) I have been open to the possibility that we might keep Mac another year both to give him a more full and fair evaluation, and to have him around possibly as a transitional qb should we draft a qb who needs time to develop. Yesterdays game only makes me more comfortably with this view.

All in all, yesterday;s game was genuinely, solidly encouraging, particularly with respect to Mac, whatever the I'm-such-a-hardo naysaying poseurs may assert.

It means they are capable of winning games, and for once they pulled out the win against a good team. Other than that they still have so much to prove to be a winning franchise that it remains a week to week proposition, and not something we can count on.

Carolina is interesting, because the Panthers are pretty bad but they gave up a huge amount to pick first last year so I'm sure they're gonna want to try to stick with him for at least another year?
They have no choice....the Bears have their first rounder anyway....

….of the pack

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back