PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

JC Jackson issue “being worked through”.

Status
Not open for further replies.
He's CB4 at most on this team right now.
Gonzo, Jonathan Jones, Marcus Jones is about as good a trio as there is in the league.

The CB group is probably our best group on the team.
Just wait until we get a FS covington can then have all the creative coverages and corner blitz at his disposal.. I'm thinking J. Jones at FS, pep at SS with Dugger, gonzo, and Austin to lockdown the outside.. myles/m. Jones in the slot.. we probably have collectively one of the leagues deepest secondary.

Yeah I agree, but me myself was harsh on him.. but he stepped his game up and was a pretty solid CB last season.. you can only get beat so much before you start to change your technique or you won't be in the league long. Collectively we have a solid CB group. We just need a viable option at FS..
I don't see how we have a solid boundary CB group.

Gonzo played 3 full games.
JC is not reliable
Austin showed enough to be considered as a CB3..maybe. Sample size is small but I agree he did ok. Has good size, too.
Marcus Jones is 31 but more a slot DB.
Lets see if Jack comes back and can contribute.

I don't see how we have a solid boundary CB group.

Gonzo played 3 full games.
JC is not reliable
Austin showed enough to be considered as a CB3..maybe. Sample size is small but I agree he did ok. Has good size, too.
Marcus Jones is 31 but more a slot DB.
Lets see if Jack comes back and can contribute.
I can see it clearly, the secondary actually was dam good last season.. heading into week 4 as a rookie gonzo was the 3rd ranked CB, he was gaining respect from QBs and OCs.. like last season it sucked.. when he went down.

Austin IMO has more upside than anyone else not named gonzo at CB.. so he's the #2.. gonzo did more than ok.. he was on his way to likely defensive rookie of the year.. at CB your out there by yourself he didn't have safety help he was taking guys on himself wich allowed peppers to be up more around the LOS.. Basically we have a nice combination in secondary.. the secondary just needs a FS and maybe another veteran at CB for depth, guys always get knicked up.

maybe

...and not one of them is reliable for an entire year.

On a 4-13 team that is not saying much. D line might be better.
Xavien Howard misses time each season he's still one of the leagues best CBs.. part of the game doesn't diminish a players skill set.

Xavien Howard misses time each season he's still one of the leagues best CBs.. part of the game doesn't diminish a players skill set.
Sure but if he can't play the unit isn't as good on gameday.

I can see it clearly, the secondary actually was dam good last season.. heading into week 4 as a rookie gonzo was the 3rd ranked CB, he was gaining respect from QBs and OCs.. like last season it sucked.. when he went down.

Austin IMO has more upside than anyone else not named gonzo at CB.. so he's the #2.. gonzo did more than ok.. he was on his way to likely defensive rookie of the year.. at CB your out there by yourself he didn't have safety help he was taking guys on himself wich allowed peppers to be up more around the LOS.. Basically we have a nice combination in secondary.. the secondary just needs a FS and maybe another veteran at CB for depth, guys always get knicked up.
If Gonzo plays 17 games at the level he did his first three and Austin ascends to the level you think he can then I agree. They will have a top unit.

If they are running back what they had out there Week 18 they won't.

Sure but if he can't play the unit isn't as good on gameday.
Yeah agree, but it does not diminish his skill set or reputation in the league he's shown enough in his career as he's gotten paid..

Yeah agree, but it does not diminish his skill set or reputation in the league he's shown enough in his career as he's gotten paid..
Howard is on the wrong side of 30 and is missing games. Some team would give him a 2 year deal if he leaves MIA

If Gonzo plays 17 games at the level he did his first three and Austin ascends to the level you think he can then I agree. They will have a top unit.

If they are running back what they had out there Week 18 they won't.
I believe Austin can be such. He will have every opportunity to be a better player. Remember Barmore, Jennings and Wilson stepped up big time in judon and gonzo s absence that in turn helped the secondary.. but I see your point

He's CB4 at most on this team right now.
Gonzo, Jonathan Jones, Marcus Jones is about as good a trio as there is in the league.

The CB group is probably our best group on the team.
Marcus Jones has shown very little at CB so far.

He is our punt returner and #5 CB. Also, I think that he is a better backup outside (where he played in college) than in the slot. But we'll see. Surely, if Marcus Jones is so good, they won't even offer Bryant anything to come back.

Marcus Jones has shown very little at CB so far.

He is our punt returner and #5 CB. Also, I think that he is a better backup outside (where he played in college) than in the slot. But we'll see. Surely, if Marcus Jones is so good, they won't even offer Bryant anything to come back.
I thought he looked good his rookie year and last summer.

This draft is pretty deep in CB’s so we could land a decent one in the fourth at least.
Jackson gotta asap. This mental issue talk could be a ploy to keep Pats from releasing him yesterday.

Bottom line: JCJ is worth 7M a year tops....with a cap if 255M...that is only ~2.75% for a lock down corner that can shut down 70% id receivers in the league....

Dunno what happened to JCJ in Chargerland, but the kid can cover WR2/3/4's.....

From nfl app

as others said earlier; since the contract he was on wasn’t written by Pats: Did they:

A. cut bait and let him go
OR
B. give him a figure to come back and tell him to go test the waters??

J.C. Jackson's reunion with the Patriots has come to an end.
New England announced Friday that it has released the veteran cornerback after trading for him during the 2023 season.
The Patriots acquired Jackson from the Chargers in October after rookie cornerback Christian Gonzalez suffered a torn labrum. Jackson played in eight games, six starts, for New England. He recorded 25 tackles and six passes defensed.
Jackson, 28, joined the Patriots as an undrafted free agent in 2018. …..

In 2022, Jackson tested free agency and signed a five-year, $82.5 million deal with the Chargers to join a defense that included Joey Bosa and Derwin James. It didn't work out, however, as Jackson dealt with an early-season injury and was benched in Week 6.

Moderator Edit: With the news that J.C. Jackson has been cut, please continue this discussion on the new thread:

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3