PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jason Witten

Status
Not open for further replies.

thechris

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
Since I live in Dallas, I've been able to watch every Cowboy game. I think that Jason Witten might be the best tight end the Pats have played against. Even better than Antonio Gates and Dallas Clark.

Looking at his stats, they are very comparable to Gates & Clark except that he has a better YPC average.

Honestly, I'm more worried about Witten than TO.

Since I live in Dallas, I've been able to watch every Cowboy game. I think that Jason Witten might be the best tight end the Pats have played against. Even better than Antonio Gates and Dallas Clark.

Looking at his stats, they are very comparable to Gates & Clark except that he has a better YPC average.

No offense but TO is the playmaker on dallas, not witten. When cowboys go against good teams like the pats, TO will have to be involved or they will lose.
Witten has good hands but he can't break a game open like TO can and even though people hate on him, "he has horrible hands" he can break a game open and change it for his team. If TO has 7 catches, 133 yards, 1 td against the pats the cowboys have a better chance of winning, if witten has those same numbers the cowboys will lose because belichick won't have a problem with witten getting his catches as long as everybody else is shut down. For the record, I think romo will focus on witten (like he has been doing all season because that's his number 1 option and TO will not be a factor. That's mainly the reason why I think the pats will blow dallas out 41-25. Moss and brady have big day against that defense.

Witten is, without doubt, the Cowboys' man to stop, esp. on 3rd down. He will consume large chunks of real estate if Barber/Jones are successful on the ground, because Romo's play-action and escapability will give him time to find Witten down the deep seam. It is imperative that Adalius and Rodney prevent him from keeping drives alive.

This game could be won by whichever team settles less for FGs. The Pats' red-zone offense must operate > 50%, while their red-zone defense must operate at < 50%, with zero quick-strike, big-play TDs.

This team was built to stop the TE (namely CLARK) from killing us in big games. Enter AD, who can drop into cover well. Let's hope he plays this week.

Agreed , although I won't say I'm worried.

The Pats excel at shutting down top recievers. Either Hobbs or Samuel will have safety help on Owens, but this may leave Gay or or the SS alone on Witten on a lot of plays. Witten vs the nickel corner is a poor match up I think, but I'd be curious to see how Merriweather matches up with a top TE. Probably won't happen though.

I do think Witten will challenge both our LB's and safeties though. Should be fun to watch.

i think belicheck will take witten out of the game...not TO...
TO will do it partially himself with his drops, and asante will do the rest...
witten needs game planning

Let's be completely honest about a few things. I'm a big Jason Witten fan and think he's a very good TE, but he's not as good as Antonio Gates and I'm not sure he ever will be.

Now, I do believe Limiting Witten is one of the keys to stopping that offense. Romo uses him for security and has been looking his way a lot lately. Romo's also been telegraphing throws to Witten a bit too, which caused a few of those picks. If he doesn't clean that up....

When things are working the way they should, Romo throws to the open guy. Sometimes that's TO; sometimes it's Witten...or as the Rams learned, Crayton.

Witten just happens to be getting some good stats because he's a mismatch for all but the best linebackers and safeties, and teams have been underestimating him a bit.

I seriously doubt Belichick will do the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.

What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Back