PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

J.Jones extended; is Joe Thuney next?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scotty

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Now that JJ has been extended will the team now turn it's attention to Joe Thuney ? I hope so

I hope we can extend Joe and Kyle but I have my doubts honestly.

I still don't know how they afforded AB.

Thuney is getting top of the market money..... somewhere else

Jones saved cap money, I think.

Thuney would cost cap money.

Van Noy would save cap money.

Last edited:
I'd take either right now but OL is more of a need position IMO. But like mgteich says, that will cost cap dollars we more than likely don't have right now.

McCourty and Hightower are off the books next season so why not.

The Jones extension was a very, very happy surprise. I assumed he'd be out the door to a team where he'd be given a chance at an even bigger role--but then, I assumed the same about Duron Harmon when his rookie contract was expiring.

I don't think they have the money for Thuney. Yet I feel strangely confident that they're going to get a long-term deal done. It's been a long time since the Patriots have failed to secure a second contract with a home-grown player who has been everything they hoped for, on and off the field. The core players -- the Mayo, Wilfork, McCourty, Hightower types -- get their deals. Thuney seems like one of those players to me.

The Jones extension was a very, very happy surprise. I assumed he'd be out the door to a team where he'd be given a chance at an even bigger role--but then, I assumed the same about Duron Harmon when his rookie contract was expiring.

I don't think they have the money for Thuney. Yet I feel strangely confident that they're going to get a long-term deal done. It's been a long time since the Patriots have failed to secure a second contract with a home-grown player who has been everything they hoped for, on and off the field. The core players -- the Mayo, Wilfork, McCourty, Hightower types -- get their deals. Thuney seems like one of those players to me.

Flowers ring ring

Flowers ring ring

Ouch, how quickly I forget! Yep, he's something of an exception. I wonder how hard they tried to keep him.

Still, I have a feeling about Thuney, I think they'll get him done. Though I've been wrong before...like, say, five minutes ago. ;)

I would think Van Not gets extended/restructed to fit in AB now. I don't know how much time they have to do this to be within the cap rules.

The team needs to be under the cap at 4PM on every single day.

That means that by 4PM Monday, the team will have AB signed and another transaction or two or three completed.

As we know, the team can complete deal in a few hours. I'm sure that the team has been negotiating with the players that they want to consider extending. So, Monday 4PM is an easy deadline for an extension.

The only possible difficult part would be if the team wants to complete a trade.

I would think Van Not gets extended/restructed to fit in AB now. I don't know how much time they have to do this to be within the cap rules.

I’d suspect his last year in NE.
We’ll see. He’s a team captain, Belichick has called him Mr. February, and he and Bentley are the only LBs currently under contract for next season. I think BB values Hightower and his contributions more than a lot of people here do.

Flowers ring ring

Ouch, how quickly I forget! Yep, he's something of an exception. I wonder how hard they tried to keep him.

Still, I have a feeling about Thuney, I think they'll get him done. Though I've been wrong before...like, say, five minutes ago. ;)
I’m sure they tried until his agent told BB how much he was offered by the Lions. I don’t miss Flowers one bit given what they’ve done that money.

We’ll see. He’s a team captain, Belichick has called him Mr. February, and he and Bentley are the only LBs currently under contract for next season. I think BB values Hightower and his contributions more than a lot of people here do.
I value his contributions. He’s great in the most important times. But, he plays LB, has had injuries, and we’re talking about 2020 : in two seasons. I’d be over the moon if he can give NE two
More solid years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes