PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Is this why Malcolm Butler didn't play in the Super Bowl?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Are you buying that he was sick, and practiced poorly

• Yes

Votes: 27 29.3%
  • No

Votes: 24 26.1%
  • Reply hazy, try again later

Votes: 5 5.4%
  • Dead horse

Votes: 15 16.3%
  • Rillkag :)

Votes: 21 22.8%

• Total voters
Willis Reed was injured before the deciding game of the NBA finals vs. LA. But he started, making of couple of early jump shots. He couldn't do much thereafter, but he didn't have to. The Knicks were clicking, and the Lakers folded.

The Eagles, like the Giants, were the underdog. Any little unnecessary edge you as the favorite just give to them will be (and was) taken advantage of and inspire them - and (sorry) deflate us.
1000%

And imagine this. WHATEVER occurred, whatever the reason, Butler was sick, Butler wasn't "dialed in" that week, Belichick doing this or that, whatever. But at halftime of the game, he pulls Butler aside and says,

"Malcolm, let's go win another Super Bowl."

Is anyone really going to tell me that Pats' defense doesn't have a better half than they did? Please.

I had that game on DVR forever but never could bring myself to rewatch it.

"I'm gonna do what I'm gonna do and I'm gonna coach the way I'm gonna coach and I don't care what anybody thinks about it."

This works - but not all the time.

Auerbach was built to win eight straight world titles. Every season, the Celtics had a different goal attached to winning the title. And Red let his players sound off, offer their opinions and he very often took it. He new he didn't know everything and no matter that he was the boss, he knew it was a collaborative effort. I can't count how many times Red asked for a current/former player's advice on strategy or personnel and made his decision based upon it - and succeeded.

Well you can invent conspiracy theories or do what sane people do, shrug, figure Bill knows more about the situation than we ever will, and move on with our lives.
I hope to move on with my life for a few more years.

Anyway, back to football and my question. If it was a case of Butler being sick why not tell us that at the time? Why the secrecy?

I don’t know about you guys, but when I’m trying to win a Super Bowl and my run defense is already suspect, my first thought is to destabilize the pass defense as well because my other starting corner was sick.

But he was ready to play vs Seattle in the super bowl lol this is getting embarrassing. A professional athlete not ready for a game mentality with two weeks to prepare comical

Then you better talk to Butler about it because he admitted it.

There has been lots of speculation in terms of what happened, but I think its safe to assume that something was very off/odd with the whole situation. Look no further than a grown man and professional athlete crying before the game on a national broadcast being viewed by 50+ million people

Its unfortunate, and certainly a wound that gets re-opened so some salt can be sprinkled in from time to time

The Eagles were just a better team. The defense had its issues all year. Wentz may very have well won the mvp that year if he hadn’t gotten hurt. They lost him and they still won. That team was as good on both lines as any team I’ve ever seen

There has been lots of speculation in terms of what happened, but I think its safe to assume that something was very off/odd with the whole situation. Look no further than a grown man and professional athlete crying before the game on a national broadcast being viewed by 50+ million people

Its unfortunate, and certainly a wound that gets re-opened so some salt can be sprinkled in from time to time.
There's a very similar vagueness to his retirement. Sounds like a head case. You'd think he'd take that last $3.25m and be a third corner this year and then retire.

1000%

And imagine this. WHATEVER occurred, whatever the reason, Butler was sick, Butler wasn't "dialed in" that week, Belichick doing this or that, whatever. But at halftime of the game, he pulls Butler aside and says,

Is anyone really going to tell me that Pats' defense doesn't have a better half than they did? Please.
Eagles scored on all but one drive with at least one third down conversion. Two of those were 4th down and both were converted on TD drives. On one TD drive they were 3/3 on third down. They only punted once.

In other words 1 or 2 plays on defense would have reversed the outcome. That's it. I think Butler our best tackling corner could and probably would have made those 1 or 2 plays.

Instead Bill had different ideas and Malcolm stayed on the sidelines in full pads... almost like he didn't know he wasn't playing until the last minute. Like it was personal.

Last edited:
Butler was really really bad that year. It is not like he was the second coming of Mike Haynes. I doubt if he played it would have made a difference.

Why didn't he play after it was obvious the likes of Richards, Bademosi, and Rowe weren't cutting it?

I don't get that part. How did Belichick possibly think Butler could be worse?

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back