PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Is this it for Mac?

Take Mac and the fraud head coach and his staff and send them packing holding hands - we need to dump the garbage and start fresh in 2024 or we will sit in neutral as long as these two bums remain on the team - Belichick can't even coach his team to a win against a quarterback that lives at home and has mom make his bed each morning - disgusting

It was nice that Belichick finally gave Zappe a real chance. Wasn’t placed in a blowout or a 2 minute drill. Clean half and he was just mediocre. So he’s out.

Regarding Mac, anyone know where I can watch a replay of the game? I want to see his face again when he was about to get hit. He looked absolutely terrified.

Is it possible that injury last season mentally broke him? He was carried into the locker room like his leg was just ripped off. Is it possible he’s never had any major injuries before and he’s now just scared?

When I played hockey, I went into the boards and broke my arm - bad. Gross bad. Needed surgery. After that, I always let up when heading into the boards. I couldn’t help it, but the trauma was there.

And im not trying to mock his injury. Twisted/sprained ankles hurt. But damn, I’ve seen people rip ligaments are show barely any reaction. I thought his season was over the way he was carried in last year. But I’m now wondering if it was actually his career being over.
I think what broke him was failure after failure on his part but also coaching failure too. Pulling him multiple games in the same season and pulling him last season would damage any QB.

Kinda don't think it matters. Both QBs are capable of getting us to a high draft pick. For us fans, it's more about who's mug you want to see on your TV screen after an ill-advised pass turns into a pick-six. The on-field result is pretty much a wash.

I guess it breaks down like this.

Mac - If you find red zone INTs more entertaining.
Zappe - If you prefer your INTs at midfield

Kinda don't think it matters. Both QBs are capable of getting us to a high draft pick. For us fans, it's more about who's mug you want to see on your TV screen after an ill-advised pass turns into a pick-six. The on-field result is pretty much a wash.

I guess it breaks down like this.

Mac - If you find red zone INTs more entertaining.
Zappe - If you prefer your INTs at midfield

I'll add to the menu:
Mac -- if you appreciate the fine art of ducking and turtling into a sack.
Zappe -- if you prefer tipped passes at the line vs. the suspense of where they otherwise might end up.

Last edited:
I think what broke him was failure after failure on his part but also coaching failure too. Pulling him multiple games in the same season and pulling him last season would damage any QB.
I’m sure that didn’t help but it’s hard to have any sympathy if true. Playing arguably the hardest position in sports where the entire team rests on your shoulder, you need mental toughness.

If pulling him from games irreparably messed him up, he was never going to make it in this league.

Better to find out he’s not mentally tough now than him choking in huge playoff games.

I hope that if Belichick goes back to Mac, it is in a few weeks and not next week. Give the guy time to try to get his head on straight. What Belichick is doing benching and starting him and then benching him and then starting him is just making the guy even more of a head case than he already is.

If the Pats still had Mac Jones from pre-Cowboys game, they would have probably won the last two games and possibly a game or two more. Mac has been broken since that game and he is getting worse because of all the head games.
For your sake, I hope you didn't invest too much money in MJ10 stock.

Fans of Tom Brady: the Patriots ruined Mac by benching him on and off

Tom Brady’s college career: getting benched on and off

Sorry kids but you need big cajones to deal with the pressure of being an NFL QB. Mac has green peas. The idea that Mac was good and we ruined him only exists in a parallel universe none of us ever get to visit so don’t waste your time there. The whole offensive personnel and coaching was better in 2021. He is what he shows on Sundays.

Fans of Tom Brady: the Patriots ruined Mac by benching him on and off

Tom Brady’s college career: getting benched on and off

Sorry kids but you need big cajones to deal with the pressure of being an NFL QB. Mac has green peas. The idea that Mac was good and we ruined him only exists in a parallel universe none of us ever get to visit so don’t waste your time there. The whole offensive personnel and coaching was better in 2021. He is what he shows on Sundays.
I'm Mac's Dopple ganger we have won 9 Superbowls the talk over here is Brady who?

It seemed to me that Zappe was better. It wasn’t by much, but he made fewer mistakes and also had the lesser circumstances - he had to deal with the rain and lost Pop Douglas early on. Mac had Pop and clean conditions. Zappe led one TD drive, should have had the game tying FG drive if not for the Ryland chip shot shank, and just had the one INT. Mac had no scores, two INTs and also fumbled once (recovered himself), and threw two other balls that should’ve been picked. Zappe was definitely the better player even if he wasn’t necessarily that good himself.
As they say, Zappe's the lesser of two evils.
I think the Tankheads will be happy with the Pats losing with either QB.

2nd year player. Started two games. We judge his season playing in the three mop ups and the second half of a game against a top 4 defense in the league, down a score, missing his best wr after splitting the starting practice touches the week before. Probably he sucks, but talk about putting a player in a tough situation. Mac sucks, he was simply awful yesterday.

He hears footsteps whether they are there or not. That’s his biggest problem.

But at this point does it really matter?

For your sake, I hope you didn't invest too much money in MJ10 stock.

Why? Because I think if Belichick goes back to Mac which I am not advocating, the only way I think they can get any production out of him is if they give him time to get his head on straight. My post was clearly not a pro-Mac post.

I'll push back strongly on the "they ruined him" narrative. The Patriots didn't do all they could to surround Mac with talent and stability at OC, that much is obvious, but he's been a front runner from day one. This idea that he was a poised, unshakeable rookie is so strange to me. In his very first play as a pro he got panicky in the face of pressure and short circuited throwing the ball backwards. In his third game as a pro he threw three picks against the Saints and got so down on himself Bill had to lead him to the locker room by the hand while he cried. I'm sorry, he looked good for a seven game stretch in which the Patriots either played the dregs of the league of severely injured teams while the defense was amazing and the running game was chugging along. He could only ever be serviceable while playing from ahead, when they needed Mac to be the driver of offense and be able to throw to come back into games down the stretch in 21 he faltered in a very similar way as he's faltering now. They went away from the 21 offense because they understood (correctly) that there was a cap in what that play style was able to provide, which is why initially in 22 they went with a much more aggressive approach, which led him to become a turnover machine instantly. He is what he is, he can only thrive in a "we're leading, we're running the ball well, defense is stout, don't screw up" context, but Tommy DeVito could also probably thrive in said context.

Also, he was throwing off his back foot and fading away for no reason while never consistently lining his feet up to throw towards the sidelines at Alabama. He seldom attacked the intermediate middle of the field in college, he was never confident in throwing the ball down the seams. Every single one of his main flaws now appeared in his college tape to some extent. It's not just that this coaching staff made him into a mess, he owns a lot of responsibility for it as well. Starting with his approach last year of basically tuning out the staff from day one (still remember the "I know what good offense looks like" comments he made to the media). Yeah, Patricia and Judge suck, but you know jack **** kid, just listen and do your job as a second year player. He has a know it all, entitled mentality. He's Aaron Rodgers with post surgery Chad Pennington's arm talent.

I'll push back strongly on the "they ruined him" narrative. The Patriots didn't do all they could to surround Mac with talent and stability at OC, that much is obvious, but he's been a front runner from day one. This idea that he was a poised, unshakeable rookie is so strange to me. In his very first play as a pro he got panicky in the face of pressure and short circuited throwing the ball backwards. In his third game as a pro he threw three picks against the Saints and got so down on himself Bill had to lead him to the locker room by the hand while he cried. I'm sorry, he looked good for a seven game stretch in which the Patriots either played the dregs of the league of severely injured teams while the defense was amazing and the running game was chugging along. He could only ever be serviceable while playing from ahead, when they needed Mac to be the driver of offense and be able to throw to come back into games down the stretch in 21 he faltered in a very similar way as he's faltering now. They went away from the 21 offense because they understood (correctly) that there was a cap in what that play style was able to provide, which is why initially in 22 they went with a much more aggressive approach, which led him to become a turnover machine instantly. He is what he is, he can only thrive in a "we're leading, we're running the ball well, defense is stout, don't screw up" context, but Tommy DeVito could also probably thrive in said context.

Also, he was throwing off his back foot and fading away for no reason while never consistently lining his feet up to throw towards the sidelines at Alabama. He seldom attacked the intermediate middle of the field in college, he was never confident in throwing the ball down the seams. Every single one of his main flaws now appeared in his college tape to some extent. It's not just that this coaching staff made him into a mess, he owns a lot of responsibility for it as well. Starting with his approach last year of basically tuning out the staff from day one (still remember the "I know what good offense looks like" comments he made to the media). Yeah, Patricia and Judge suck, but you know jack **** kid, just listen and do your job as a second year player. He has a know it all, entitled mentality. He's Aaron Rodgers with post surgery Chad Pennington's arm talent.
Agree completely. If you look at his last 8 or so games with Josh and every game after that he's been inconsistent, erratic and plain old bad.

Mac can't improve and when he tried he regressed.

He might have a chance as a 3rd QB. That's it.

Last edited:
At this point i would like to see Cunningham on the field

At this point why not ?

Amen

Agree completely. If you at his last 8 or so games with Josh and every game after that he's been inconsistent, erratic and plain old bad.

Mac can't improve and when he tried he regressed.

He might have a chance as a 3rd QB. That's it.

It wasn’t the last eight games. Both Tennessee and Jacksonville were in the last eight games where he had over 120 passer ratings. It was six games at the end of the season, with one being a game where he threw three passes and another was the Jacksonville game where he was great. So you are talking four games where he was inconsistent.

And let’s look at those games. Yes, Mac threw a pick six in Miami, but he was good the rest of the game. In both Buffalo games, the defense fell apart and allowed the Bills to score on every drive in both games asking Mac to carry the team himself and being forced to score on every drive which he was not up to the task.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
Back