PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Is Mac Jones salvageable anywhere by anyone?

The GM last year wanted to get rid of Mac and one guy said "no, he's gonna be the starter" and that guy is still running the team.
You say that as if you were in the room & know it is fact;

when actually you are just quoting a media guy with an anonymous source who likely is someone trying to polish his image.

I have no clue who kept Mac in the driver seat (RK, BB, or ??) for the crash in Turn 3.
Does it matter?…….it is what it is…..

show me the way forward……

I think it is possible that he could be rehabbed in the right situation. He could be broken beyond repair. We have seen QBs over the years who have gotten their confidence shattered and never rebound. That is what happened to Tony Eason who arguably had more promise than Mac Jones did before both QBs were broken.

If and when he leaves, I wish him the best. But I really won't care all that much when he leaves the Pats. I have been conditioned to root for laundry. But unlike Brady, I don't think I will be rooting for him to succeed when it doesn't interfere in the Patriots' success.

There's actually a decent chunk of QBs who have been able to rehab. Steve Young, most notably. Trent Green, Vinny Testaverde, Doug Flutie, Rich Gannon....
Testaverde and Gannon are the only ones on this list that I'd consider a rehab. I'd add Plunkett though to it. Trent Green simply lost his job to a better QB in Kurt Warner. It wasn't really like his play went south or anything like that. He was always the guy he always was.

Doug Flutie was never really a permanent starter or a franchise QB for any team. He bounced around. He did have 2 entire seasons as starter with the Bills, but they were furiously trading/drafting QBs to replace him and he ended up throwing as many INTs as TDs in those 2 years.

Doug Flutie was never really a permanent starter or a franchise QB for any team. He bounced around. He did have 2 entire seasons as starter with the Bills, but they were furiously trading/drafting QBs to replace him and he ended up throwing as many INTs as TDs in those 2 years.
Man, how I would love to see an alternate history where Doug Flutie was given an actual shot in the NFL. The dude was a winner, that's all he did.

His record through Buffalo was 31-14 (and the stats weren't as bad as you say, he had 47 TDs to 29 picks)

That moron benched him for freaking Rob Johnson in the playoffs, and we all know what happened. Seriously, I would've loved to have seen what would've happened if he had been allowed to play

If a player can't start for us,, our fans think that he should be cut and that no other teams should have an interest.

Mac was the worst QB in the leagues as a starter in 2022 and 2023, "leading" the worst offense in the NFL.

Our conclusion is that he is not talented enough to ever be on an NFL team.
============
My bet is that if he is waived, at least 6 teams would be interested in signing him to compete for a backup position on their teams.

Of couse, we have the mighty Zappo and have no need for a backup or a #3 emergency QB.
=============
Perhaps with a quality starting WR and two NFL starting OT's, he might have been the 25th best starter, and a QB that shouldn't be starting. What then? I suggest that then he would be a candidate to be a backup QB somewhere.

So why has he failed so miserably? I believe it's because he plays with a high base level of anxiety and can easily panic when anything goes wrong (as of course it often will for a below average offense in the NFL). And when he panics, he forgets all his fundamentals and makes both poor decisions and poor throws. That interception vs the Colts was one of the worst throws in Patriot history.

I think this part of your analysis is spot on. He handles adversity poorly, which just creates more adversity, which compounds/spirals into disaster.

I think this part of your analysis is spot on. He handles adversity poorly, which just creates more adversity, which compounds/spirals into disaster.
and since he couldn't improve after a year under Josh, he must be entirely iunteachable. Shame on Mac for not succeeding under Patricia and under BOB and no OT's or Wr's in 2023.
=============
He should pay the price and be waived or traded for a 6th. Then he can compete for a backup job elsewhere and continue his career.

Man, how I would love to see an alternate history where Doug Flutie was given an actual shot in the NFL. The dude was a winner, that's all he did.

His record through Buffalo was 31-14 (and the stats weren't as bad as you say, he had 47 TDs to 29 picks)

That moron benched him for freaking Rob Johnson in the playoffs, and we all know what happened. Seriously, I would've loved to have seen what would've happened if he had been allowed to play
Lol, I know how beloved Flutie was from his BC days, but let's be real here. He wasn't rehabbed in any case. He basically gave the same level of performance anywhere he went.

and since he couldn't improve after a year under Josh, he must be entirely iunteachable. Shame on Mac for not succeeding under Patricia and under BOB and no OT's or Wr's in 2023.
=============
He should pay the price and be waived or traded for a 6th. Then he can compete for a backup job elsewhere and continue his career.
He was scouted and they figured out he couldn't throw. This is all that happened.

And let's face the truth: he also lost the team when he cried.

He was scouted and they figured out he couldn't throw. This is all that happened.

And let's face the truth: he also lost the team when he cried.
What's your0 point?

Jones should be gone so that he can be a backup for another team.
========
Is your point that we should keep Zappe as backup because he has more confidence in his losing play?

What's your0 point?

Jones should be gone so that he can be a backup for another team.
========
Is your point that we should keep Zappe as backup because he has more confidence in his losing play?
I do think Zappe is more capable as a backup.

I think any team will totally unravel with even a second of Mac back there.

And I think that a team will unravel with Patricia as OL coach and Wynn at RT, and then with Love at LT; but that is just me.

We may have an inexperienced coaching staff on Offense, but it will perform better than in the last couple of years, hopefully with Josh back as Asst Coach or Advisor. In their 3rd year, they will be a playoff team being led by a top coach.

Running it down team by team:

NEP - His time is done here, IMO. Unless he wants to be QB2/3.

NYJ/MIA/BUF - He might be an upgrade at QB2 for these teams.

PIT/BAL/CLE/CIN - Could be QB2 for CLE/CIN. Doesn't fit in Baltimore. Steelers? Too many QBs already.

HOU/IND/TEN/JAX - He could be QB2 in TEN (assuming Tannenhill leaves) and JAX. HOU still has Mills and IND has Mineshew.

KC/LAC/LVR/DEN - I think he could have a shot in Denver competing with Stidham. Vegas? Maybe..... and KC/LAC as QB2.

DAL/PHI/NYG/WAS - QB2 in DAL/NYG/WAS (if Howell isn't QB 2).

GBP/MIN/DET/CHI - QB2 in MIN backing up Couch. Det has Hooker. Chi might be a different offense with Williams/Fields. Packers maybe.

ATL/NOS/CAR/TB: Atlanta....could be QB1, but not if BB gets the job. NOS/CAR/TB, could be a back up.

LAR/SF/SEA/ARI - Could be a back up on all of these teams.

I think it is possible that he could be rehabbed in the right situation. He could be broken beyond repair. We have seen QBs over the years who have gotten their confidence shattered and never rebound. That is what happened to Tony Eason who arguably had more promise than Mac Jones did before both QBs were broken.

If and when he leaves, I wish him the best. But I really won't care all that much when he leaves the Pats. I have been conditioned to root for laundry. But unlike Brady, I don't think I will be rooting for him to succeed when it doesn't interfere in the Patriots' success.
Eason is a great comparison. Eason had the physical skills and followed up getting to the Super Bowl with a very good season in 1986. Like Mac he was always uncomfortable dealing with pressure until he completely lost it mentally. I am afraid that Mac is in the same place with his career.

Running it down team by team:

NEP - His time is done here, IMO. Unless he wants to be QB2/3.

NYJ/MIA/BUF - He might be an upgrade at QB2 for these teams.

PIT/BAL/CLE/CIN - Could be QB2 for CLE/CIN. Doesn't fit in Baltimore. Steelers? Too many QBs already.

HOU/IND/TEN/JAX - He could be QB2 in TEN (assuming Tannenhill leaves) and JAX. HOU still has Mills and IND has Mineshew.

KC/LAC/LVR/DEN - I think he could have a shot in Denver competing with Stidham. Vegas? Maybe..... and KC/LAC as QB2.

DAL/PHI/NYG/WAS - QB2 in DAL/NYG/WAS (if Howell isn't QB 2).

GBP/MIN/DET/CHI - QB2 in MIN backing up Couch. Det has Hooker. Chi might be a different offense with Williams/Fields. Packers maybe.

ATL/NOS/CAR/TB: Atlanta....could be QB1, but not if BB gets the job. NOS/CAR/TB, could be a back up.

LAR/SF/SEA/ARI - Could be a back up on all of these teams.
:)
So, your conclusion is the Mac could be a competitor for a backup position on almost all teams, including our team

ceiling xfl
floor Burger King flipping patties

On a new episode of Tom E. Curran's Patriots Talk Podcast, former Tampa Bay Buccaneers general manager Mark Dominik makes the case for New England to hold on to Jones for 2024.
"There's no reason to get rid of Mac Jones," Dominik said. "If he gets into a game, can we still have a chance to win? Yes, I believe that.

Bucs GM: "WE" still have a chance to win if Mac Jones plays....I see what he did there!

If he stays with the Patriots next season (regardless of where he is on the depth chart), I DO NOT want it him on a 5th Year option price tag (or reasonable facsimile thereof).

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back