PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Is Mac Jones salvageable anywhere by anyone?

I don’t if Zoloft would help him. I would recommend a combination of steroids and cocaine to help his athleticism, arm strength, and confidence.
giphy(1).gif

Trade with the 49ers send Mac and we get Sam Darnold, I think he's a victim of jets/Panthers suckage but he is more salvageable than Mac

If Purdy craps the bed during the NFCCG then I think SF would offer us a 5th for Mac. If anyone can fix him it would be Shanahan
If anyone offers a 5th round pick for the one year that’s left on Mac’s rookie contract, you take it and run.

Trade with the 49ers send Mac and we get Sam Darnold, I think he's a victim of jets/Panthers suckage but he is more salvageable than Mac
If the Pats want Darnold they can just sign him in free agency. He only signed a 1-year deal with the Niners this past offseason.

I proposed this in another thread, but I think his best chance to rehab would be as Tua's backup in Miami. That's a QB friendly system that uses a lot of short routes to get the ball into the hands of guys that can get a lot of YAC. He knows Tua from Alabama, and has familiarity with Waddle too. Tua always has a decent chance of missing a few games each year, so if Mac gets in to 3 or 4 games over the course of a two year deal, he could pad some stats with with quick hits to Waddle and Hill that they take 80 yards for a touchdown. At best, that gives him some confidence that he can build off wherever he goes after that. At worst he's bought himself a couple more years in the league, as some team with questions at QB would give him a chance to compete.

I don't see the Pats trading him there (or Miami wanting to give anything up for him), but if he's cut that's the first place I would call if I were his agent.

Vikings. Dome, good receivers, good OC from McVay coaching tree.

Idk. He’s got a lot of work to do.

Krispy Kreme taste tester?

Maybe to run a scout team somewhere.... Tasked to simulate a no-threat QB starter...... like a Zappe

Vikings. Dome, good receivers, good OC from McVay coaching tree.

Idk. He’s got a lot of work to do.

Yeah, no one should confuse where he COULD do well with a place where he definitely WOULD. Even in a perfect scenario, he's still got long odds.

How do you insert toughness and resiliency into a player who has none?

You don't. But I don't think this hypothetical is about turning Mac Jones into a starter and certainly not a franchise guy. It's more about where can he go to have the best chance of salvaging a long NFL career as a backup/short term starter, and not end up out of the league a year or two after his rookie deal expires.

He probably could've been great with the 49ers

I doubt great, but that’s the only team I can see him being useful on.

Mac has the skills and intellect to be at least a mid-tier QB but only if he can somehow fix his panic problem. He is worse than useless as long as he suffers from this. No team can afford the rate of fatal errors he makes while in the throes of panic. If some combo of sports psychiatry and/or pharma can fix that then he has potential. If not then he should transition to coaching or out of football altogether.

Yeah, no one should confuse where he COULD do well with a place where he definitely WOULD. Even in a perfect scenario, he's still got long odds.

You don't. But I don't think this hypothetical is about turning Mac Jones into a starter and certainly not a franchise guy. It's more about where can he go to have the best chance of salvaging a long NFL career as a backup/short term starter, and not end up out of the league a year or two after his rookie deal expires.
If you take the legend, Mark Sanchez, as an example. He played 6 more years as a back up after the butt fumble year of 2012.

If you take the legend, Mark Sanchez, as an example. He played 6 more years as a back up after the butt fumble year of 2012.

Which as embarrassing a moment as that was, Sanchez had two things going for him that Mac doesn't have: He was the 3rd overall pick, and he played in two straight AFCCG... carried by that defense of course, but those things were enough for some team to say, "Maybe we can get it out of him..."

Mac doesn't have the natural WOW abilities that would make a team take a chance purely because of that, and he doesn't have tape from a national stage (in the NFL) that brings him extra attention either. He's going to have to find the right place and get a little lucky.

The bigger question is: is Mac worth salvaging? His appeal as an nfl quarterback was always the “high floor”, which we now know was much lower than expected.

The amount of work it will require to help him reach his limited upside does not seem worth it for a coaching staff. Maybe he can get himself turned around but the list of quarterbacks who were irreparably broken is endless.

This is simple, I think. We can be sure, it seems to me, that the well here is thoroughly poisoned and that New England is probably the worst place for him to attempt a comeback. It is in both the team's and Mac's best interest that he move on. We need not speculate, then, on Mac's prospects for success elsewhere. It won't matter to us once he's gone. I will certainly wish him well. We owe him that, given the former coach's fireably asinine negligence in managing his time here.

I don’t like his arm strength, mobility or confidence. He is mentally soft and rubs teammates and coaches the wrong way when things aren’t going great.

It seemed like the locker room blamed Mac more than they did Bill which tells you how people feel about him.

Resurrecting his career will be a real project and even if he does he will never be better than a middle of the road QB. The dude needs a QB whisperer, great talent surrounding him and a therapist.

Zappe is the more interesting conversation
Zappe is always an "interesting conversation." I like his pluck. He is trying to parlay his very modest skills into a job in the NFL. Good for him. His ceiling seems pretty clearly to be as a backup. Whether he continues to ply his trade here depends on how Mayo in the end chooses to configure the qb room, specifically on whether he decides to take on a veteran for the mentor/interim role, which would make Zappe irrelevant here. That's what I would do. Zappe would see himself not as helping the drafted newbie, but as competing with him. I think both Mac and Zappe will in the end be moving on, and that moving on might well be the best thing both for the Pats and for the two players, which would make helping them move on the right thing to do, given the piss-poor situation in which both were put by the incompetence of our former HC.

Not for the Pats, no.

But put him behind a rock solid O-Line, where he has more than two seconds to process before getting hit and maybe he'll overcome the PTSD of the ****ty situation he was put in here.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Back