PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Is anyone still worried about the Bills?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wow. What a schizophrenic team. Just look at these scores:

Beat the Texans 40-0
Lost to the Jaguars 9-6
Beat the Chiefs 38-20
Lost to the Steelers 23-16
Beat the Dolphins 35-0
Lost to the Colts 41-19
Beat the Saints 31-6

Their composite statistics mean almost nothing. Interesting that they lost to the Titans and the Colts - two teams they should have been up for.

Josh Allen and Patrick Mahomes have eerily identical statistics across the board. (Mac Jones has fewer interceptions and a higher completion percentage than either one of them.)

It looks like the Bills are successful as a running team when QB Josh Allen can get out and run. Their starting RB, Devin Singletary, is okay but no great shakes at 4.5 ypc and 2 TD. Josh Allen doesn't get sacked. His ability to get out of the pocket is extraordinary among starters.

The weather calls for 27 degrees and snow. I bet Mac Jones has never played in those conditions.

The Bills are not a good running team at all. They are actually putrid running the ball, so expect Belichick to go 3 down lineman again and give them yards to shorten the game, especially in Buffalo. I bet it will be windy but I doubt much snow, but you never know in Orchard Park (OP is off the lake, unlike most of the city of Buffalo).

The reason why you see such variable performances against teams like the Colts is that the Bills were missing Tremaine Edmunds. He is the key to their entire defense, and maybe the key to their whole team. When he's in there, they are a very different defense. He's like a hoover vacuum in the running game, and he can stay with your TE too. So he shuts down the middle of the field.

The Patriots are not really in position to take advantage of CB Tre White going down. His replacement was considered their 2nd CB, a starter, going into the year, but he got nicked up and his replacement has held down that 2nd CB spot. Essentially, the Bills will be running out 2 CBs who would be considered worthy of being their #2. But they also have two really good safeties in Micah Hyde and Jordan Poyer. They also play zone. In other words, the Patriots are not the type of team that can easily take advantage of the lack of White since White was there to take out a dominant outside WR.

The Bills defense will not need to adjust their normal strategy for the Patriots.

I see the Patriots big card in this game is frustrating Josh Allen in the passing game.

The Patriots achilles heel is going to be assigning a spy on Josh Allen running the ball.

I expect the Patriots to go light up front because the Bills can't run. They will give the Bills their share of running yards to keep Allen from burning them deep with Diggs. The game will be close by design. & the light frontline will allow them an extra safety or LB to track Josh Allen scrambling from the pocket or his designed runs.

If it's really cold, you have to wonder if Allen will want to run it much at all.

The plan for the Patriots should be to shut down Diggs and Sanders. Take them out of the game. Let the Bills get into a tight rock fight, and hopefully run it down their throats and grab a lead. If the Bills fall behind and go to the passing game, Allen is prone to mistakes especially when he's under pressure from a Patriots pass rush, which should be what we see since the Bills O-Line can't really protect him well.

I am still mildly concerned about whether he can perform in the cold and snow or not. Being able to grip the ball isn't the only thing. Some players just cannot handle the cold for whatever reason from they don't like to get hit to them getting distracted by the cold.
I guess we answered that question yesterday.

I guess we answered that question yesterday.

Not really. It wasn't that cold and it was snow flurries and not a real snow storm.

Not really. It wasn't that cold and it was snow flurries and not a real snow storm.
30+ degrees is cold. Snow is just dry rain.

I'm not the least bit concerned, we have big physical receivers and awesome TE's. Josh can call a game in this weather.

30+ degrees is cold. Snow is just dry rain.

I'm not the least bit concerned, we have big physical receivers and awesome TE's. Josh can call a game in this weather.

Let's see what it is like in Buffalo. It was more like 40 yesterday with no wind.

Buffalo is gonna be windy as hell being near the lake.

Buffalo is gonna be windy as hell being near the lake.
Their stadium is 4-5 miles or so away from lake Erie it's not like Cleveland's stadium being literally right next to the lake.

Here's one unappreciated part of the whole puzzle (and I know this is looking far ahead) but assuming the Patriots and the Bills split the 2 games, and assuming that the Patriots lose to either the Colts or the Phins on the road, and the Bills lose to the Bucs, the Bills would have the division tie-breaker.

If both teams split and both finish either 12-5 or 11-6, the Bills win it. Why? Because the Bills have yet to lose in the division. The loss to the Phins in the 1st game would cost the Patriots in this scenario.

Here's one unappreciated part of the whole puzzle (and I know this is looking far ahead) but assuming the Patriots and the Bills split the 2 games, and assuming that the Patriots lose to either the Colts or the Phins on the road, and the Bills lose to the Bucs, the Bills would have the division tie-breaker.

If both teams split and both finish either 12-5 or 11-6, the Bills win it. Why? Because the Bills have yet to lose in the division. The loss to the Phins in the 1st game would cost the Patriots in this scenario.
Yes it would.

I know it's asking for a miracle but the Bills do play the Jets one more time and the Jets have Wilson back....

I don't see the Bills losing to Carolina, the Jets, or the Falcons, especially since they are all at home.

So NE needs to
1) sweep the Bills
or
2) split, win out otherwise, and cheer for Tampa Bay to beat the visiting Bills on Dec 12, making our bye weekend enjoyable.

saying hes great is putting him in the hall of fame? He’s pretty universally viewed as a top 10 qb at worst. Top 5 in tds and yards. 99.9 rating. Dual threat. Id say hes been great last year and this year
I guess what you and I consider "great" differs. Allen did have a "great" season in 2020, with 37 touchdowns and a 107.2 rating. This season he has slipped and his rating is 99.1. Mac's rating is 97.1. Allen's first two years in the league were not impressive. His career rating is 92.5. And he has not won a Super Bowl or even an AFC championship. I would say Allen is a good quarterback and save the word great for guys who not only put up good numbers, but also win titles.

The Bills losing to Carolina just became even less likely, with McCaffrey out for the season.

I guess what you and I consider "great" differs. Allen did have a "great" season in 2020, with 37 touchdowns and a 107.2 rating. This season he has slipped and his rating is 99.1. Mac's rating is 97.1. Allen's first two years in the league were not impressive. His career rating is 92.5. And he has not won a Super Bowl or even an AFC championship. I would say Allen is a good quarterback and save the word great for guys who not only put up good numbers, but also win titles.

i think buffalo puts alot on his shoulders and hes held it down pretty well. He seems to be their passing game and alot of their running game, thats also a pretty rare thing. Yes his first 2 years he wasn’t very good but i think right now he’s grown into form the last couple seasons. Not completely duplicating last year but still up there. We shall see how it plays out over time but im speaking to his current form.

I am still mildly concerned about whether he can perform in the cold and snow or not. Being able to grip the ball isn't the only thing. Some players just cannot handle the cold for whatever reason from they don't like to get hit to them getting distracted by the cold.
I suppose if Mac is gonna stick around he better get used to it! Maybe BB should make him do snow angels to get used to a little frost haha

I know we are in their heads. They actually had a game day thread for the Patriots/Titans game on the Two Bills Drive forum today
They’re not playing the fans.

Man coverage. And more LBs than DTs.. Confuse Allen with D schemes. Don't let him get outside.

Buffalo is gonna be an easier win than we think. Tennessee was harder than Monday Night will be

I just don’t think anything is going to be easy. If the Patriots go somewhere this season it will be really hard earned. They really have to beat the Bills twice and beat Indy to win the division. A split won’t do it because the Patriots lost to the fish. I think Belichick will have a good game plan against Allen, and they will take Diggs out, but it will never be easy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back